concern regarding suspension due to academic dishonesty

radio frequency

5+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2012
Status
Pharmacist
Hi All,
I am applying to Pharm D program this year and I have a serious concern regarding my suspension during my junior year at university. Here is what happened.

In biology class, we had a weekly quiz in discussion section held by TA.
During the quiz, I first copied the answer from someone sitting next to me, but as I copied down his answer, I kind of got an idea how to solve the problem, so I erased the answer and solved on my own.
But, TA recognized my erased answer and reported me to Dean.
As a result, I was under suspension for 2 quarters.

The record of suspension is not shown on my official transcript, however it is the dean's office(?) or conduct history file.

Here is my stat.
My overall GPA is around 3.1-3.2 (pharmCAS didnt calculate my GPA yet).
Science GPA not so good.......
Biochem degree
I graduated from top 20 university in USA.
working experience at pharmacy for 1 year
no other experience. no volunteer..

In pharmCAS, there is a question asking if you are involved in academic dishonesty, suspension..
should I answer the truth?
or should I skip it since it is not shown on the official transcript anyway???
If my stats are above average, I would answer honestly.
But sine my stats are average or below, I am not sure if I have to answer honestly..
Is this really that confusing?

Yes; answer honestly.

Reactions: y0ssarian87

msweph

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I love the story.

I couldn't even get some TAs to grade my assignment, but yours graded an erased one .

Albo

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2007
Status
Pharmacy Student
jjj000111,

Answer the question truthfully and be prepared to show how you learned from this experience. I will send you a PM later today with details.

lcow2004

10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
New York
Status
Pharmacist
Hi All,
I am applying to Pharm D program this year and I have a serious concern regarding my suspension during my junior year at university. Here is what happened.

In biology class, we had a weekly quiz in discussion section held by TA.
During the quiz, I first copied the answer from someone sitting next to me, but as I copied down his answer, I kind of got an idea how to solve the problem, so I erased the answer and solved on my own.
But, TA recognized my erased answer and reported me to Dean.
As a result, I was on the suspension for 2 quarters.

The record of suspension is not shown on my official transcript, however it is the dean's office(?) or conduct history file.

Here is my stat.
My overall GPA is around 3.1-3.2 (pharmCAS didnt calculate my GPA yet).
Science GPA not so good.......
Biochem degree
I graduated from top 20 university in USA.
working experience at pharmacy for 1 year
no other experience. no volunteer..

In pharmCAS, there is a question asking if you are involved in academic dishonesty, suspension..
should I answer the truth?
or should I skip it since it is not shown on the official transcript anyway???
If my stats are above average, I would answer honestly.
But sine my stats are average or below, I am not sure if I have to answer honestly..
I don't think your stats are below average. It sounds like a lot of people get into numerous pharmacy schools nowadays with around a 3.0. You should be in great shape since you also have pharmacy exp and from top 20 USA univ :)

OP
J
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
jjj000111,

Answer the question truthfully and be prepared to show how you learned from this experience. I will send you a PM later today with details.

yes! please PM me with details :)

Son_Goku

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
So basically if you never erased your answer (aka chickening out) you wouldn't have gotten caught?

OP
J
Aug 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
So basically if you never erased your answer (aka chickening out) you wouldn't have gotten caught?
Even if I didn't erase my answer, I would have gotten caught because my answer would be same as his answer then.

Deja

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Status
Pharmacy Student
What TA reported to dean was, he saw me rolling my eyes.
wait, so you erased your answer and had a new one, there is also no concrete evidence that you cheated, why didn't you fight it?

but to answer your question, just report it, you don't want to get your admission pulled if they found out somehow

Son_Goku

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2015
Status
Pharmacist
What TA reported to dean was, he saw me rolling my eyes.
So why didn't you mention that in the OP? You specifically said he saw traces of what you erased.

I personally wouldn't report it but since you posted your situation here on SDN you almost HAVE to report it because you put it out there. Admins do surf this forum in their spare time because they spend 90% of the time not doing their job.

gwarm01

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
When cheating you never copy the answer verbatim. Put it in your own words, man! This is basic stuff.