Concerned about possibility of COMLEX failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcde7

Reaction score
I took COMLEX a few weeks ago (7/20) and am deeply worried about the possibility of failing.

Scores: Took Step 7/7. Underscored UWSA2 by 20 points and got a 218. Free 120 75%. It was a combination of the mask and a lifelong inability to feel awake early in the morning if I had to guess. UW % was like a 65ish.

Combank assessment: Taken in May. I think I got like a 570? Ridiculously easy.

COMSAEs: Taken in the period between Step 1 and COMLEX. In order:
104b: 450
105b: 418
101b: 453

I didn't try very hard on 418. Frankly I thought the COMSAEs were absolutely awful exams and once I passed one I just kinda clicked through 105 with minimum effort. The 418 shocked me (even though I was a little drunk when I took it) and I went through most of COMBANK in the last week. 101b had a lot of repeats from previous exams that I might've overthunk because COMSAEs don't let you see right or wrong answers. At this point, a prolonged four-month long solitary quarantine thousands of miles from my friends and family on top of dedicated was starting to get to my mental health and decrease my scores so I really just want to be goddamned done with level 1 at this point.

Test day: Felt fine. Finished with a decent amount of extra time. Didn't feel particularly blindsided or stressed compared to any other test I've taken. I also crush CARS so fast reading ability helped tremendously.

While a 218 isn't great or even good, I just want to do community psychiatry in a noncompetitive location. Is it even possible to pass Step 1 by a reasonable margin but fail COMLEX? I don't care if it's with a 401 - I'd rather be a janitor than go back through Zanki and Lolnotacop again. While score release is only a few days away the anxiety I have in the waiting period is far worse than I had prior to the test and thought I'd ask you guys your throughts about probability of passage.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I took COMLEX a few weeks ago (7/20) and am deeply worried about the possibility of failing.

Scores: Took Step 7/7. Underscored UWSA2 by 20 points and got a 218. Free 120 75%. It was a combination of the mask and a lifelong inability to feel awake early in the morning if I had to guess. UW % was like a 65ish.

Combank assessment: Taken in May. I think I got like a 570? Ridiculously easy.

COMSAEs: Taken in the period between Step 1 and COMLEX. In order:
104b: 450
105b: 418
101b: 453

I didn't try very hard on 418. Frankly I thought the COMSAEs were absolutely awful exams and once I passed one I just kinda clicked through 105 with minimum effort. The 418 shocked me (even though I was a little drunk when I took it) and I went through most of COMBANK in the last week. 101b had a lot of repeats from previous exams that I might've overthunk because COMSAEs don't let you see right or wrong answers. At this point, a prolonged four-month long solitary quarantine thousands of miles from my friends and family on top of dedicated was starting to get to my mental health and decrease my scores so I really just want to be goddamned done with level 1 at this point.

Test day: Felt fine. Finished with a decent amount of extra time. Didn't feel particularly blindsided or stressed compared to any other test I've taken. I also crush CARS so fast reading ability helped tremendously.

While a 218 isn't great or even good, I just want to do community psychiatry in a noncompetitive location. Is it even possible to pass Step 1 by a reasonable margin but fail COMLEX? I don't care if it's with a 401 - I'd rather be a janitor than go back through Zanki and Lolnotacop again. While score release is only a few days away the anxiety I have in the waiting period is far worse than I had prior to the test and thought I'd ask you guys your throughts about probability of passage.
I think you will pass comlex since you passed step by a good margin. Just my 2 cents

Agree with above, 218 is not terrible I’m surprised your comsae are so low with 218 being a huge drop from UWSA. You prob passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt like I failed walking out. Everyone I talked to, even stars in my class, said the same.

If I remember 105b was a weird OMM heavy COMSAE.

And don't beat yourself up. That 218 will open more doors than not having it for sure! Psych is what? 221 average?

Thanks guys. While my Step score was one thing, I had a 2 week gap between the tests in which I forgot a lot and was experiencing a combination of tremendous stress and depression. I was getting incredibly easy questions wrong on COMBANK because of how simply worn out I was due to a particularly miserable quarantine and prolonged study period. I pretty much didn't speak to anybody beside a parent for four months and barely left the apartment. I gained like 20 lbs and went from 90 mins in the gym a day to 0. It got pretty rough lol so I was falling apart by the time COMLEX came. I wasn't doing nearly as badly when I took Step as I was for COMLEX. I'm doing much better now but the wait sucks,

Based off the COMSAEs alone, are these decently predictive of passage?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks guys. While my Step score was one thing, I had a 2 week gap between the tests in which I forgot a lot and was experiencing a combination of tremendous stress and depression. I was getting incredibly easy questions wrong on COMBANK because of how simply worn out I was due to a particularly miserable quarantine and prolonged study period. I pretty much didn't speak to anybody beside a parent for four months and barely left the apartment. I gained like 20 lbs and went from 90 mins in the gym a day to 0. It got pretty rough lol so I was falling apart by the time COMLEX came. I wasn't doing nearly as badly when I took Step as I was for COMLEX. I'm doing much better now but the wait sucks,

Based off the COMSAEs alone, are these decently predictive of passage?
Yes they’re predictive, you’ll be fine.

From personal and classmates experience, COMSAE under predict at least 60 points for Level 1. So you are fine for passing.

Update: I got a 570 lmao COMSAES SUCK

WHO THE HELL WRITES THOSE THINGS?!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Update: I got a 570 lmao COMSAES SUCK

WHO THE HELL WRITES THOSE THINGS?!
I got the same thing as you and my COMSAE's were a good 70-80 points higher than yours, COMSAE's are **** at predicting, they will only predict if you will pass.

I got the same thing as you and my COMSAE's were a good 70-80 points higher than yours, COMSAE's are **** at predicting, they will only predict if you will pass.
For both Level 1 and 2, COMSAE under predict me by exactly 110. Like you said, it is a good tool to predict passing