Employment & Professional Networking Concerned about the future of OTAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toOTAornot

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just began my first semester of OTA school today. For the past week though, I have been beginning to have my doubts about the profession. I didn't do my research before getting into the program, and the future of COTAs seems grim with PDPM/PDGM, future reimbursement cuts, potential phasing out of the OTA altogether, and of course the current Covid-19 crisis. I am seeking any resources, personal experiences, or knowledge into the potential future of the COTA job market. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I just began my first semester of OTA school today. For the past week though, I have been beginning to have my doubts about the profession. I didn't do my research before getting into the program, and the future of COTAs seems grim with PDPM/PDGM, future reimbursement cuts, potential phasing out of the OTA altogether, and of course the current Covid-19 crisis. I am seeking any resources, personal experiences, or knowledge into the potential future of the COTA job market. Thanks guys!
Hello, I am an OT student. I’ve volunteered in various places and worked at a SNF alongside COTAs/OTs and other rehab professionals. In my area, there isn’t many jobs for COTAs and the COTAs I’ve met wish they would’ve picked another career path because they deal with so many challenges. Not trying to discourage you, but it doesn’t mean you’ll have the same experience. I quickly thought about doing COTA to then jump to OT but I think it’s way better to jump straight into OT because of debt and time. If you’re looking for an Associates Degree I would recommend PTA over OTA because there is a way higher need and easier to secure a job. In my area at least, for COTAs they’re mostly employed in peds or SNF so that’s something you’d have to be open to. I know COTAs face a lot of challenges so just keep all of this in mind.

Is it true COTAs are being phased out? Have you heard anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true COTAs are being phased out? Have you heard anything?
I haven’t heard anything about COTAs being phased out. I just know certain companies want more OTRs versus COTAs but it depends on the setting. From what I’ve seen, places that have more severe diagnoses, like a hospital system or hand therapy usually has more OTRs employed where as an SNF has a lot more assistants. I did hear from a COTA that if the mandate does pass for OTRs that the entry level degree changes to an OTD, that the entry level degree for COTAs will change to a bachelors degree. The OTD mandate has been voted down before so I’m not sure how accurate this is and doesn’t seem as it will happen in the near future. I would recommend PTA over OTA. They’re in much higher demand that OTAs. Even COTAs have told me they should’ve done PTA.

Hey there. I am a current COTA that just started OT school. In my personal opinion the future of COTAs is not at risk. There are jobs (not as many as OT, and the practice areas are not as diverse, but they exist.) So much of your ability to find a job really depends on where you are. Due to my spouse's job, I have to move every few years and find a new job. I find that I do have to advocate for my job in certain areas if there aren't a lot of COTAs that work there, but there is no fear of the profession disappearing. I have no experience working during Covid (because I'm a student again), but I feel like that would be even more job security. The mandate to change to OT to a doctorate and OTA to a bachelor's has been rescinded. As far as PTA over COTA, if you like Occupational Therapy as a profession, PTA is probably not for you. It's a different profession with a completely different approach. Personally, my plan was always to be an OT because there are more job opportunities, better salary, and more autonomy, and those are important to me, but there are advantages to being a COTA. Because COTAs always work as a team with OT, you have the potential for a built in support system and mentor. You can learn so much more. I have also found that it's made me a better advocate, because there is a lot of misinformation spread about COTAs, and I have to speak up. That being said, if you decide to go OT later, it'll be a much easier transition for you.
Good luck and welcome to the profession!

Hey there. I am a current COTA that just started OT school. In my personal opinion the future of COTAs is not at risk. There are jobs (not as many as OT, and the practice areas are not as diverse, but they exist.) So much of your ability to find a job really depends on where you are. Due to my spouse's job, I have to move every few years and find a new job. I find that I do have to advocate for my job in certain areas if there aren't a lot of COTAs that work there, but there is no fear of the profession disappearing. I have no experience working during Covid (because I'm a student again), but I feel like that would be even more job security. The mandate to change to OT to a doctorate and OTA to a bachelor's has been rescinded. As far as PTA over COTA, if you like Occupational Therapy as a profession, PTA is probably not for you. It's a different profession with a completely different approach. Personally, my plan was always to be an OT because there are more job opportunities, better salary, and more autonomy, and those are important to me, but there are advantages to being a COTA. Because COTAs always work as a team with OT, you have the potential for a built in support system and mentor. You can learn so much more. I have also found that it's made me a better advocate, because there is a lot of misinformation spread about COTAs, and I have to speak up. That being said, if you decide to go OT later, it'll be a much easier transition for you.
Good luck and welcome to the profession!
Thank you for your response! I'm still deciding which route to take. I got accepted to OT program and OTA program. Can COTAs support themselves and live comfortably? Also. What made you decide to change to OT from being a COTA?

Thank you for your response! I'm still deciding which route to take. I got accepted to OT program and OTA program. Can COTAs support themselves and live comfortably? Also. What made you decide to change to OT from being a COTA?
Yes, COTAs can support themselves easily. In my experience, salary-wise they make about 60-75% of what OTs make, but will have WAY less school debt. Some states pay better than others. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov) has pretty good info about the various states.
I had planned to go OT originally, but wasn't close to a school or able to move at that time, so I went to OTA school instead, with the plan to go OT school later. I move often because of my spouse's job and I think it will be easier to find jobs in my preferred areas of practice as an OT, even in rural areas. Places with a low population that don't need many practitioners usually prefer to have 2 OTs instead of an OT and COTA. That being said, I have gotten jobs at several places that didn't intend to hire a COTA. I just had to advocate for the role of COTA in that setting. Bigger areas, of course, have more jobs. Geriatric settings have jobs for everyone, but it's a little harder (not impossible) to work in pediatrics as a COTA.
Personally, I think occupational therapy is fascinating and I want to learn as much as I can. OT school so far has been a little more in depth in the foundational concepts, which I enjoy. Work-wise, OTs tend to have more paperwork, because they do evaluations and discharges.
I do like that I always have other people around to learn from as a COTA, because you'll never work in a totally independent setting. You do your own work, but you collaborate with the OT/OTs. However, not all OTs really understand a COTA's job, which can be frustrating.
That's a tough decision to make. I advise you consider what's important to you. Money, time, what you like about OT, how you want to be seen as a professional in the workplace, where you want to work, and anything else that is meaningful to you.
I'm happy to answers any more questions to the best of my ability. Congratulations and good luck!!!!