General Admissions & OTCAS Concerned Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavs2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep reading posts about how people have had to apply for OT school for two and three years. This makes me nervous, because I thought my stats would be ok. Can anyone give me any feedback? I applied to 8 schools including Pitt, WSSU, Midwestern, East Carolina, Towson, AT Still, University of the Sciences, and Tennessee State.

Cumulative GPA: 3.6
OTCAS GPA : 3.6
pre req GPA: 3.6-3.9 depending on school

GRE, 40th percentile but 4.5 on writing (most of my schools do not take the GRE)

125 observation hours in 4 different settings

extracurriculars….

Members don't see this ad.

As a second year applicant, I feel the need to throw my two cents in on this. Last year, I was OBSESSED with comparing my stats to everyone else and felt the need to constantly pour over these message boards. While the boards are absolutely helpful. they can also produce a lot of stress and anxiety.

My stats are somewhat similar. GPA is a 3.55 and pre-req is about 3.7 and my GRE score was 156 V, 150 Q and 4.0 on the writing. I ended up getting interviews at four different schools, including ECU. All of my interviews went well and I thought I had a shot. Unfortunately, I was placed on the waiting list at three of the schools and never got moved up.

I never directly asked the programs why I wasn't accepted, but I have a few ideas. I was still finishing my pre-reqs and hadn't completed my undergrad degree. I didn't have a ton of shadow hours. I submitted late to a couple rolling admission programs. And I really didn't have any "life experience".

Not getting into an OT program on my first try was absolutely devastating. I am not going to sugar coat it in any way. I felt like a huge failure, especially since I ended up moving home with my mom. But now that I am reapplying and I have had time to reflect on it, it ended up being the best thing for me. I was always stressed out in college because I was in the honor's program, had a high scholarship to maintain, played NCAA tennis, worked 20 hours a week, and was involved in everything on campus. Now that I am out of school, I realize it is nice to have a break from being a student. On the flip side, having an "adult" job and a side job averaging 70 hour weeks makes me value higher education much more and I cannot wait to get into graduate school. For the time being, I am working my butt off and saving money to prepare for what is to come in the future. My failed first attempt was hard, but I know deep down I want to puruse OT, so I am willing to go through all of it again.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I thought I would share my experience. My absolute worst nightmare was not getting accepted, but now I realize that it isn't all bad. A year isn't that long anyhow. I really hope you can get into a program this time around, but if not it won't be the end of the world (honestly).

My advice for interviews is to really research each program. Find out what you like about it, what questions you have, and maybe investigate what research the factuly is working on. Also, take some time to reflect on who you are as a person. Why do you truly want to be an OT? What made you want to apply to that specific program? Where do you see yourself taking your OT career? How are you going to prepare to handle the rigor of OT school? Know the program, know yourself. And relax. You can only do your best and nothing more.

Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you need anything. I applied to WSSU too :)

Reactions: 7 users
As a second year applicant, I feel the need to throw my two cents in on this. Last year, I was OBSESSED with comparing my stats to everyone else and felt the need to constantly pour over these message boards. While the boards are absolutely helpful. they can also produce a lot of stress and anxiety.

My stats are somewhat similar. GPA is a 3.55 and pre-req is about 3.7 and my GRE score was 156 V, 150 Q and 4.0 on the writing. I ended up getting interviews at four different schools, including ECU. All of my interviews went well and I thought I had a shot. Unfortunately, I was placed on the waiting list at three of the schools and never got moved up.

I never directly asked the programs why I wasn't accepted, but I have a few ideas. I was still finishing my pre-reqs and hadn't completed my undergrad degree. I didn't have a ton of shadow hours. I submitted late to a couple rolling admission programs. And I really didn't have any "life experience".

Not getting into an OT program on my first try was absolutely devastating. I am not going to sugar coat it in any way. I felt like a huge failure, especially since I ended up moving home with my mom. But now that I am reapplying and I have had time to reflect on it, it ended up being the best thing for me. I was always stressed out in college because I was in the honor's program, had a high scholarship to maintain, played NCAA tennis, worked 20 hours a week, and was involved in everything on campus. Now that I am out of school, I realize it is nice to have a break from being a student. On the flip side, having an "adult" job and a side job averaging 70 hour weeks makes me value higher education much more and I cannot wait to get into graduate school. For the time being, I am working my butt off and saving money to prepare for what is to come in the future. My failed first attempt was hard, but I know deep down I want to puruse OT, so I am willing to go through all of it again.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I thought I would share my experience. My absolute worst nightmare was not getting accepted, but now I realize that it isn't all bad. A year isn't that long anyhow. I really hope you can get into a program this time around, but if not it won't be the end of the world (honestly).

My advice for interviews is to really research each program. Find out what you like about it, what questions you have, and maybe investigate what research the factuly is working on. Also, take some time to reflect on who you are as a person. Why do you truly want to be an OT? What made you want to apply to that specific program? Where do you see yourself taking your OT career? How are you going to prepare to handle the rigor of OT school? Know the program, know yourself. And relax. You can only do your best and nothing more.

Have you heard back from the schools you've applied to this time around?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I was just invited this morning to interview at Murphy Deming on 12/12 and will be interviewing at Huntington University on 2/15. I am beyond excited to have two interviews and I really hope I will get a couple more. :)

Have you heard back from the schools you've applied to this time around?

I SOOOOO understand what you are referring to here. This year is my 3rd year applying and the whole experience has been crazy! My first year, I only applied to 1 school, UNM (big mistake) and the 2nd year, I applied to early admissions late and UNM again. I was waitlisted for interviews at the early admission schools and rejected from UNM AGAIN! This year has been different (thankfully) but the frustration and feelings of failure are REAL! You are right, however, if OT is what one really wants to do, it's worth it to try again. Best of luck to you this year, I hope you are successful in getting into a program.

I have heard back from ECU. They have moved me to the second part of the process so I have an interview and 3 essays to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a deep breath. This forum is helpful, but it can induce anxiety from comparing yourself to others. I applied to COTA as a back-up. It is comforting for me to know I might have an inexpensive plan b, in case the dream of becoming an OT does not work out for whatever reason. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Lol I'm laughing because my GPA was 3.3, I applied to 7 different schools.
So far I've only heard back from 1, I was accepted into that one school.
It's not one of those big name schools but it's accredited and has a 90% graduation rate and a 95% pass rate on the NBCOT.

If I could get into a school trust me you won't have an issue.

Lol I'm laughing because my GPA was 3.3, I applied to 7 different schools.
So far I've only heard back from 1, I was accepted into that one school.
It's not one of those big name schools but it's accredited and has a 90% graduation rate and a 95% pass rate on the NBCOT.

If I could get into a school trust me you won't have an issue.
Congrats! What school did you get into?

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!

I think your stats sound pretty good. Did you apply this past year or are you waiting for the OTCAS to open up in the middle of July? It took me 3 years to get accepted into an OT program, but I finally got into 2 this year and school starts in August. I would say, no matter what, don't give up.

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!
I think your stats sound pretty good. Did you apply this past year or are you waiting for the OTCAS to open up in the middle of July? It took me 3 years to get accepted into an OT program, but I finally got into 2 this year and school starts in August. I would say, no matter what, don't give up.

Haven't applied yet. I'm going to be applying for the first time really soon. I just wish I had some really good extra curriculars to add to help me stand out a bit.
That's very exciting for you! Congrats!! What schools did you get into? :)

My stats are a gpa 3.45 and pre-req 3.6
As I am guy I am hoping I have more wiggle room due to their being no guy in OT
Applying to Seton Hall, Nyu Columbia. Top 3
Stats aren't high but my extracurriculars really out weigh my app. Fingers crossed!