concerns about not hearing from schools . .

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akim0414

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am a first-time user and I have to say that I am really glad that I found this place!! Anyways, I just had a question and was hoping someone would have an answer of some sort. All my applications are complete, actually they were complete by mid-September, but I have not heard anything(with the exception of rejections from a few schools). I have emailed and called a few places and all the information I get is that my application is complete and that the committee is still screening. So here is my question: Honesty, should I forget about getting into med. school this year since I have not heard from schools for the past few months? Or is there still some chance? Thanks for listening!

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on which schools you still haven't heard from. Some schools have much longer turn around times and not hearing since mid-september is not such a big deal. For others it would be a bad sign. Maybe if you listed specific schools, people who have also applied might be able to add their experience with that school.

And to follow-up on this question. . . for those who have gone thorugh this process in prior years, where are we in the interviewing season. Are we at half-time yet? I know that many schools say that they interview through March/April, but does that mean that they inteview steadily thorough that period? My apps have been complete since mid-Sept and I was wondering if the interview offers that I have received so far are it.

Members don't see this ad :)
some of the schools that i have not heard from yet are:
havard
george washington
univ. maryland
drexel
mt. sinai
suny-upstate
univ. virgina

Original poster - I agree with the previous poster who suggested you list the schools you are waiting to hear from.
If its a cali state school - that doesnt surprise me much.
If you're waiting for BU which receives 8000 apps, that doesnt surprise me.
If you're applying to a bunch of schools which dont use AMCAS - this wouldnt surprise me much either because those schools tend to be really disorganized.
dont sweat it though - its not too late.
I'm a reapplicant and I would say that at the end of december will be about the end of the third quarter in the med school admissions process. Schools certainly interview into february... but the endgame is nigh approaching
AND I STILL HAVENT HEARD FROM 9 SCHOOLS!!!
but I'm not worried

Harvard and Mt Sinai don't particularly surprise me that you have not heard from. I am surprised you haven't heard from Drexel. I don't have personal experience with the others...

good luck!

Drexel had issues with their stationary among other things this year due to their recent conversion from their former name "MCP Hahneman." This may explain the delays...it was one of the last schools I heard from too, so don't feel bad. :p

Since your applicant was done in september for maryland, you should be hearing from them within 2 weeks. My application was complete in November, and I already heard from them.

Drexel is slow this year, like someone mentioned earlier and Boston U recieves tons of applicants so it takes them longer.

What are the turn around times for

Ohio state
Meharry
Temple
Morehouse

I finished my applications for them between the first and second weeks of October. Unfortunatly, it took one of my professors a while to finish a letter of recomendation for me so my composite letter went out later than early October. :-(

i have not heard from drexel or u maryland either. i sent in my secondary for drexel around end of sept/beg. of oct and i sent in my maryland secondary the beg. of sept.
-EMW

I haven't heard from a lot of schools either. I've gotten rejections from some top and bottom schools, and heard very little from the rest. I'm lucky in that I have no real question as to what the problem is with my application.

So I already know that I am only going to get seriously considered by schools that look at the whole application, and have no hard and fast rules about numbers. And it takes time to look at the whole application.

The interview invite I just got is for January. There are at least two more months of interviews after that at many schools, and I wouldn't be surprised if January invites went out early because of the holidays. So I don't think it's time to get discouraged yet.

I am feeling similar to most of you guys as well...Applied to 12 schools, apps in early, but waiting for aug mcat. borderline app. bla bla... reject from 2 schools, waitlisted at Morehouse, still waiting for 9 more schools...Getting a bit worried, but understand that it is the same schools that most of you guys are waiting on as well... oh well... waiting builds character...haha

Samoa, which schools do you feel look at the whole application? I'm in a situation like that too. I already know one of the schools I applied to I had thought they looked at the whole application but it turns out they don't. They first look at undergrad GPA and MCAT score then proceed from there.

I've applied to a total of 12 schools and my recs weren't sent out until the last week of Oct. so schools didn't contact me to say that my app was complete until ~Oct 30. It took 3weeks to hear from Meharry about an interview, 3.5 weeks for UMass, and 4 weeks for Tufts (just got their materials in the mail today). So, still waiting to hear from the remaining schools but I'm not really sweating it since i know they're running pretty slow.

Yep, Drexel does seem to take an awful long time. They were the last ones to send me a secondary. And after i turned in the secondary, it took them two months to repond.... to tell me my application was complete. Grreeeaatt..

Well, like they say, no news is good news. Very early I got 3 invites for interviews within a very short period of time. Then there was nothing for a while, and now recently (within the last week) I've gotten rejections without interviews at 3 schools. You might not be getting calls for interviews at certain schools, but at least you're not getting rejections from them. I think many schools are running slowly (especially Drexel - I had all other supps. completed for about two months when I got theirs via snail-mail!).