Concordia University Wisconsin thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been applying around and just got my interview here, its my first interview and they sent it way too quick. Makes me wonder if they even looked at my app, just wondering how reputable this school is. People in past threads have different views some say great other say avoid it like the plague but it has been a while since someones commented on it and since then they've achieved candidate status. With that in mind are they more dependable as a school now? Maybe some current students can chime in on their thoughts as well. I'm just skeptical because the interview was sent so damn quick, do they give out interviews to everyone?? Also my stats are sub-par so I am seriously considering newer schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat as you! I checked the dates on my application in pharmcas: it was mailed out on 12/5 and I received an interview invite on 12/8. I thought this was a little fishy as well. They did just receive candidate status so they must be doing something right. I have a subpar gpa and have already been rejected from my own alma mater; Concordia is the only other school I have applied to, and I was not even expecting an interview there. Attending there may be my only shot at getting into any pharm program :( Regardless, I am interviewing with them on Jan 13th and will hopefully be able to get enough info and a better sense of the school then. I'm also asking around with current pharmacy students I know if they can put me in touch with any Concordia pharm students. They also seem to have a facebook page that you may be able to get in contact with current students. Are you going to your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm going Jan 20 so a week after you. If you could post up here after your interview as far impressions and how the interview went I'd appreciate it. Good luck!

Definitely will do! Good luck to you as well! :)

I have an interview on January 6th. I can post what I see and feel afterwords. I was surprised at the speed of the interview invite as well. Have any of you received any information from current pharmacy students about the school?

I have an interview on January 6th. I can post what I see and feel afterwords. I was surprised at the speed of the interview invite as well. Have any of you received any information from current pharmacy students about the school?

Not really, information is scarce. If you could post up after the interview I'd appreciate it and I'm sure it would help others as well, thanks in advance.

How did the interview go?? I'm also in the same boat as the rest of you.. interview date is the 13th

Last edited:
This school advertises on the interstate. Anyway, we have a P-1 intern from Concordia, and she said a goodly number of people (5-10) were in danger of flunking a course during the first semester.

It was just really standard why pharmacy and why that school stuff. Nothing out of the blue. VERY relaxed. No need to worry about anything.

I am currently a pre pharm student attending uw-lacrosse and was considering Concordia. My cumulative gpa is currently a 3.2 with a 71 Pcat however my science gpa is only a 3.0 with a C in general chemistry 1. All my other science courses are decent but I just finished Calculus 1 and got a D! I plan on retaking it prior to entering but just curious as to what you think my chances are as it stands. Thanks.

I am currently a pre pharm student attending uw-lacrosse and was considering Concordia. My cumulative gpa is currently a 3.2 with a 71 Pcat however my science gpa is only a 3.0 with a C in general chemistry 1. All my other science courses are decent but I just finished Calculus 1 and got a D! I plan on retaking it prior to entering but just curious as to what you think my chances are as it stands. Thanks.

Wrong forum, we have a what are my chances thread for these questions.

Wrong forum, we have a what are my chances thread for these questions.

Thanks mom.

Anyway, I will comment. Dean Arneson came from the University of Oklahoma before he came there. He is extremely intelligent and capable. I would personally put stock in any program he was involved in.

Now that Concordia has its first couple of classes you'll have a good base for networking. Most of the first class has tech or internships in the area and location hospital /community pharmacies are very welcoming. The staff is expanding by 4 or 5 professors each semester, several are from Minnesota, UW, and Iowa. Open door policy - professors are very available for advice, extra help or encouragement. There were plenty of P1s in Fall of 2010 having a good time starting pharmacy school without realizing just how many hours it took to keep up. From the looks of the study rooms, that has resolved itself. Besides the professors (favorite by far is the Children's Hospital ER doc who teaches pharmacology) the building is great for studying. Overall it's friendly and you can get advice from P2s

Now that Concordia has its first couple of classes you'll have a good base for networking. Most of the first class has tech or internships in the area and location hospital /community pharmacies are very welcoming. The staff is expanding by 4 or 5 professors each semester, several are from Minnesota, UW, and Iowa. Open door policy - professors are very available for advice, extra help or encouragement. There were plenty of P1s in Fall of 2010 having a good time starting pharmacy school without realizing just how many hours it took to keep up. From the looks of the study rooms, that has resolved itself. Besides the professors (favorite by far is the Children's Hospital ER doc who teaches pharmacology) the building is great for studying. Overall it's friendly and you can get advice from P2s

Would you mind me asking a few questions?
I was just curious about a couple things.
That you know of, have any students failed any classes/failed out?
Is working an option during school or do you school work takes up most of your time?
Thanks!

Of all the 71 students starting in the Fall of 2010, we are all still here. I haven't heard of anyone failing. And I would estimate about 50% of us work during the semester and 75 or 80% work during breaks. From what I hear the average is about 12 hrs a week. We are spread out over 5 counties - lots of community and hospital part-time positions. The local pharmacy community has been very supportive.

I seem to study more than my classmates (I come in on weekends to use the building), but they could just as easily be studying at home. Several students fit in basketball games on campus and several more are training for the Concorida vs. UWM marathon this fall.

We do have a billboard on the highway - which was strange to me at first too - but the school is expanding in several areas and has a PR campaign going to let the community know. Plus one of the pharmacy school Deans is a former state representative and knows how to get good press. He even had a local radio station broadcast from campus (once) during our open-house week. It was fun for us and got the word out that there is a new professional school in the Milwaukee area.

Of all the 71 students starting in the Fall of 2010, we are all still here. I haven't heard of anyone failing. And I would estimate about 50% of us work during the semester and 75 or 80% work during breaks. From what I hear the average is about 12 hrs a week. We are spread out over 5 counties - lots of community and hospital part-time positions. The local pharmacy community has been very supportive.

I seem to study more than my classmates (I come in on weekends to use the building), but they could just as easily be studying at home. Several students fit in basketball games on campus and several more are training for the Concorida vs. UWM marathon this fall.

We do have a billboard on the highway - which was strange to me at first too - but the school is expanding in several areas and has a PR campaign going to let the community know. Plus one of the pharmacy school Deans is a former state representative and knows how to get good press. He even had a local radio station broadcast from campus (once) during our open-house week. It was fun for us and got the word out that there is a new professional school in the Milwaukee area.

Thanks so much :)