Concurrent Enrollment + Mediocre Grades = Failure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grasshopperintraining

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore in high school, and this year I got burned out/heart broken/proceed into depression, you guys know what I'm talking about. I took Chemistry 1010 which is a concurrent enrollment course taught at my high school by a high school but university approved instructor. I'm technically a student at the university so I guess this all factors into my undergraduate GPA and this will follow me for the next six or so years until I gotta do what I gotta do. I understand that because of AMCAS I can't retake the chemistry course during my undergraduate years and have it help my GPA, and also that I have to report the bad grade regardless of what school I attend after and what I try to do to compensate for it.
So, my questions are of this moment, if I get a B (or maybe even a C) in two semesters of general chemistry, will they understand if I try to explain that I was having lots of problems when I took the course in my second year of high school? Will the B or C for two semesters destroy my chances? Wouldn't it because science courses and science GPA are scrutinized more so than other courses and GPAs (especially since general chem is a prerequisite)? Can I drown the grade and inflate my science GPA by taking a bunch more chemistry courses in college and doing well in them? Should I retake the course regardless my freshman year of undergrad?

Thank you for answering my questions

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't even know what SDN was in the tenth grade lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One or two classes will not affect your chances. Don't make it a habit.

Don't make excuses for the grades either, just accept it as a learning experience and move on with better grades in the future.

I repeat: One or two bad grades will not "destroy" your chances to get into medical school.

It was a silly mistake that you took those courses in high school but there's nothing you can do about it now. You just gotta face the consequence and keep on rolling with the punches.

I'm sorry if I come off that way, I'm trying to stay calm and relaxed.

It was a silly mistake that you took those courses in high school but there's nothing you can do about it now. You just gotta face the consequence and keep on rolling with the punches.

I understand that, and I've been through those thoughts, I just need validation that med school is still reasonably possible.

One or two classes will not affect your chances. Don't make it a habit.

Don't make excuses for the grades either, just accept it as a learning experience and move on with better grades in the future.

I repeat: One or two bad grades will not "destroy" your chances to get into medical school.

Thank you guys for all your responses, I really do appreciate it.

I'm pretty sure that if you go to a different college than the one you took the course at, you don't have to report that you took the course and can start fresh and just provide your college transcript from that new college you go to

We all know 1 or 2 B's will sink your chances of Med school forever /sarcasm. Honestly? I don't mean to talk down to you, but you absolutely sound like a child in that post; probably because you are one. I know, I know. You've always known you wanted to be a doctor. But I can tell you that the most wonderful and intelligent teenager alive doesn't have the immense maturity required of a physician. The only advice I can give is to spend the next few years learning about what kind of person you are going to be, and then decide if you want to go into medicine. But I'll give you the answer you want to hear, get B's (or even C's) and you are totally fine. You will have plenty of time and plenty of courses to make it up. If you insist on worrying about something, worry about getting into college (as a full time student). Good luck!

(Written on phone excuse grammar)

I'm pretty sure that if you go to a different college than the one you took the course at, you don't have to report that you took the course and can start fresh and just provide your college transcript from that new college you go to
All of your transcripts need to be reported to med schools.

No.

My first piece of advice is to stop taking pre-reqs in high school. I have been told by multiple medical school reps that taking these in high school is looked down upon. Even though it is taught by a "university approved instructor," the class is still being taught down to the level of high schoolers. There's just no way around it.

My second piece of advice is to stop worrying about medical school already. I know how you feel, as I wanted to be a physician in junior high. Sure, those B's will be with you forever, but plenty of people get into medical school with many more B's than that. You need to learn to just focus on high school, do your best, maybe apply to some BS/MD programs during your senior year.

Looking too far ahead takes away from the present. I already somewhat miss my college years because of the time spent thinking and planning how to get into medical school. It's really a full-time everything. Every decision I make can somehow be drawn back to my medical school aspirations. It would be brutal to not only worry about this during undergrad, but also for three years of high school.

Sure, stay updated on the process and be positive you start college with a bang and not a flop, but otherwise, just enjoy high school if you can. You only get to live your life once, and if you only spend time focusing on the future, you'll never be thankful for the present.

dude, don't give that advice ever again. You can seriously screw up someone's life with that advice.

We all know 1 or 2 B's will sink your chances of Med school forever /sarcasm. Honestly? I don't mean to talk down to you, but you absolutely sound like a child in that post; probably because you are one. I know, I know. You've always known you wanted to be a doctor. But I can tell you that the most wonderful and intelligent teenager alive doesn't have the immense maturity required of a physician. The only advice I can give is to spend the next few years learning about what kind of person you are going to be, and then decide if you want to go into medicine. But I'll give you the answer you want to hear, get B's (or even C's) and you are totally fine. You will have plenty of time and plenty of courses to make it up. If you insist on worrying about something, worry about getting into college (as a full time student). Good luck!

(Written on phone excuse grammar)

You're totally right. I'm not dead set on anything, and I have plenty to learn from life. I'm just interested to the degree that I want to keep that door open should I eventually choose to approach it. I look forward to growing and changing, but my mistakes now shouldn't hinder further maturity. Thank You for your response.

My first piece of advice is to stop taking pre-reqs in high school. I have been told by multiple medical school reps that taking these in high school is looked down upon. Even though it is taught by a "university approved instructor," the class is still being taught down to the level of high schoolers. There's just no way around it.

My second piece of advice is to stop worrying about medical school already. I know how you feel, as I wanted to be a physician in junior high. Sure, those B's will be with you forever, but plenty of people get into medical school with many more B's than that. You need to learn to just focus on high school, do your best, maybe apply to some BS/MD programs during your senior year.

Looking too far ahead takes away from the present. I already somewhat miss my college years because of the time spent thinking and planning how to get into medical school. It's really a full-time everything. Every decision I make can somehow be drawn back to my medical school aspirations. It would be brutal to not only worry about this during undergrad, but also for three years of high school.

Sure, stay updated on the process and be positive you start college with a bang and not a flop, but otherwise, just enjoy high school if you can. You only get to live your life once, and if you only spend time focusing on the future, you'll never be thankful for the present.

I've learned a lot this year about planning too far ahead and being too "OCD"/perfectionist about things. I didn't fully understand that taking this course and the grade I would receive would be this important. That was beyond stupid of me, I didn't take the course conscientiously thinking about med school prerequisites, we just don't have AP Chem and this was all they really had. I'm still wondering if I should retake this Undergrad despite it not helping my GPA?

You're totally right. I'm not dead set on anything, and I have plenty to learn from life. I'm just interested to the degree that I want to keep that door open should I eventually choose to approach it. I look forward to growing and changing, but my mistakes now shouldn't hinder further maturity. Thank You for your response.

I've learned a lot this year about planning too far ahead and being too "OCD"/perfectionist about things. I didn't fully understand that taking this course and the grade I would receive would be this important. That was beyond stupid of me, I didn't take the course conscientiously thinking about med school prerequisites, we just don't have AP Chem and this was all they really had. I'm still wondering if I should retake this Undergrad despite it not helping my GPA?
Even if you retake it, MD schools will count both grades. I would just get the best grade you can. If you are in danger of failing, perhaps see if a W is possible.

Completely wrong and bad information!