concussed but taking the GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoops619

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello everyone! I have a quick question for a friend who doesn't have an account, and is applying to Clinical Psychology PhD programs this cycle. She is scheduled to take the GRE on Thursday, and got a mild concussion yesterday morning. The ED doctor told her that she was free to do whatever she wants so long as she feels up to it. I encouraged her to strongly consider delaying the test since taking it while concussed can't be good for her scores (she was averaging a competitive score on practice tests leading up to this, and for med school apps at least having to take the MCAT multiple times is a red flag on your application), but she is of the opinion that schools don't care if you've taken it multiple times, don't average scores, and just look at the highest score anyway, so she wants to take it since she's already paid for it. Is that correct, or is she potentially making a huge mistake? Thank you for your help!

scoops619

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

biscuitsbiscuits

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That makes sense, neither of us knew that. Do programs not ask for all scores--EG, you can choose which SAT scores to send to undergrads, but some programs required you send them all scores? Thanks again.

That I do not know.

Reactions: 1 user

Wendi22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken the GRE a good number of times and also applied to many many programs. Some of my scores were pretty bad. None made me send all the scores. Not sure how they would even know I took it multiple times. Could be wrong though.

Reactions: 1 user

scoops619

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've taken the GRE a good number of times and also applied to many many programs. Some of my scores were pretty bad. None made me send all the scores. Not sure how they would even know I took it multiple times. Could be wrong though.
Thanks!