conditional acceptance CBC = acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If last year is any indication, the CBC email doesn't mean anything. Apparently, everyone who applied to any school that uses CBC got the email, even those who were already rejected or had no interviews from those schools. Of course, since it was a pilot program last year, they could've changed a few things...

I applied to many CBC schools (two of which I've had my interviews at) and I haven't received the email.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh my...can you tell us whether Obama or McCain becomes President? And, while you're at it, lottery numbers please! Everyone in this thread can share the winnings :)

oops lol i meant 9/17, the wed after i interviewed

Members don't see this ad :)
The two schools I have interviewed at already, have CBC. Haven't gotten a single email from them. However, Wayne State won't release their decision until 10/22, and I don't expect to hear from Penn State for another 5-7 weeks.

What this email seems to suggest is that you basically haven't gotten rejected.. waitlisted or accepted are the two outcomes. And this depends on the school of course, since I imagine some schools keep their cards close to the vest while others start acting on the decisions (i.e. CBC) early.

I called one of the admissions offices to ask about this and they said that since it's a pilot program, everyone who interviews will get the cbc email...so maybe it doesn't mean an acceptance/waitlist then...

I called one of the admissions offices to ask about this and they said that since it's a pilot program, everyone who interviews will get the cbc email...so maybe it doesn't mean an acceptance/waitlist then...

I didn't get a CBC email at all last year, and I interviewed at a pilot school for the program....

If you've already interviewed at a school that does the AMCAS CBC and haven't gotten any email, maybe that particular school does all the CBCs in groups later? People with issues that would otherwise disqualify them from admission are probably the exception, and it would be trivial to pick a few more people from the waitlist, so if you haven't gotten your email yet, relax :)

If you've already interviewed at a school that does the AMCAS CBC and haven't gotten any email, maybe that particular school does all the CBCs in groups later? People with issues that would otherwise disqualify them from admission are probably the exception, and it would be trivial to pick a few more people from the waitlist, so if you haven't gotten your email yet, relax :)

I think all my schools got the memo that we "figured out" the CBC business, so they are refusing to submit their accepted lists to AMCAS until the 15th. Grrr.:laugh:

I interviewed at Case on the same day as nontradfogie. Unfortunately I haven't received the CBC email either. Just keeping my fingers crossed, though, and hoping for a hold over a rejection.

Question! Did anyone who interviewed at Loyola or Ohio State get one of these e-mails? If so, when did you interview?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I recieved the initial email from AMCAS saying that I will be getting an email from Certiphi to provide my consent for the background check...that was 3 days ago and I have not recieved an email from Certiphi yet. My question is how long after you guys got the email from AMCAS did you get the email from Certiphi? Thanks!

I recieved the initial email from AMCAS saying that I will be getting an email from Certiphi to provide my consent for the background check...that was 3 days ago and I have not recieved an email from Certiphi yet. My question is how long after you guys got the email from AMCAS did you get the email from Certiphi? Thanks!

Same problem here, anyone get both emails already that can give us an idea?

Point is, if you get that email, it's obviously a good thing. Of course, it'd be nice not to be a felon... otherwise you have nothing to fear.

Point is, if you get that email, it's obviously a good thing. Of course, it'd be nice not to be a felon... otherwise you have nothing to fear.

I'm not a felon but I'm worried that it was spam filtered or something and I missed it. I don't have a place where I can allow email addresses. I added the email to my contact list hoping there is some kind of whitelist based on my contacts but I don't really know.

I also added Certiphi to my contact list. My original question still stands: How long after recieving the AMCAS email did you all recieve the email from Certiphi? I'm getting a lil' worried :( Thanks again!

I got the email yesterday which basically stated for me to anticipate another email to approve that a CBC be run on me. The email lists the schools that do CBC's (I interviewed at more than one) and then it states that one has requested that CBC be procured on me. Like some here have mentioned, I am still awaiting the second email.

Should I anticipate an acceptance soon? If this is a waitlist...oh boy...I don't think I could take it.

But if you do get the CBC email, it could mean either a waitlist or an acceptance, right?

It wouldn't make sense for a school to do a CBC on you unless they were planning to accept you. CBCs cost a bit of money (I had one done before I began teaching and it was roughly $40) so I don't think the schools would just be requesting them right and left for students they were unsure about. I assume it means they plan to accept you and need to check just to make sure.

I got the email yesterday which basically stated for me to anticipate another email to approve that a CBC be run on me. The email lists the schools that do CBC's (I interviewed at more than one) and then it states that one has requested that CBC be procured on me. Like some here have mentioned, I am still awaiting the second email.

Should I anticipate an acceptance soon? If this is a waitlist...oh boy...I don't think I could take it.

If you go to the AMCAS website and read about the CBC, they don't run it on alternates until much later in the application season. Sometime in spring I think, so if you got one now I would be pretty confident that good news is coming.

I also added Certiphi to my contact list. My original question still stands: How long after recieving the AMCAS email did you all recieve the email from Certiphi? I'm getting a lil' worried :( Thanks again!

Any update on this? Has anyone received the follow up email to confirm the CBC?

Nope, and the first school I heard from was back in October. So, I just ordered one on myself...

Yeah...I confirmed my CBC and sent it out to schools a couple weeks ago.

How long did you wait between emails?

I received the notification email this past Thursday that I would be getting another email to confirm the CBC. I have still yet to get the second one.

Hey, has anyone who has been waitlisted and not accepted anywhere else gotten the AMCAS Background Check e-mail? Are you sure only acceptees get this e-mail and not waitlistees? My thing is that I interviewed at Rosalind Franklin and then UIC, back to back. I received post-interview news for both schools back to back last week. I got waitlisted at Rosalind Franklin last Wednesday and appear to have gotten accepted to UIC last Thursday (via status check page and AMCAS Background Check e-mail). I just want to be sure UIC asked AMCAS to send me the background check e-mail, and NOT Rosalind Franklin. I'm almost positive AMCAS only checks this e-mail to acceptees, but I want to be sure....

Hey, has anyone who has been waitlisted and not accepted anywhere else gotten the AMCAS Background Check e-mail? Are you sure only acceptees get this e-mail and not waitlistees? My thing is that I interviewed at Rosalind Franklin and then UIC, back to back. I received post-interview news for both schools back to back last week. I got waitlisted at Rosalind Franklin last Wednesday and appear to have gotten accepted to UIC last Thursday (via status check page and AMCAS Background Check e-mail). I just want to be sure UIC asked AMCAS to send me the background check e-mail, and NOT Rosalind Franklin. I'm almost positive AMCAS only checks this e-mail to acceptees, but I want to be sure....

It appears richse was correct when he said that they don't do the CBC's on waitlisted people until much later.

From http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm

In support of this recommendation, the AAMC has initiated an AMCAS-facilitated national background check service, through which Certiphi Screening, Inc. (a Vertical Screen® Company) will procure a national background report on applicants at the point of acceptance. In addition, beginning in May of each year, a national background report will be procured for a subset of applicants who are on a participating school's alternate list; medical schools will not receive such reports until the point of acceptance.

Last edited: