conditional acceptance CBC = acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hershey09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got this email this morning from AAMC requesting me to fill out an online form for a criminal background check:

"You have received this email because you have been conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated pilot program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants. Please note that the requesting medical school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting medical school's admissions requirements."

Does this mean anything?????? I don't know whether to celebrate yet... help!

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

i think it just means that as long as you don't have anything damaging in your background check that you will be accepted to a school.

that's weird that you're seeing this now though.

I'd be hesitantly celebrating. Here is a conditional congratulations to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe because of a glitch with this criminal background check thing, participating schools that enter acceptances to the system b4 oct 15 will have this message sent to the acceptees, who knows

I got one as well. After calling the only school that I had already interviewed at that was also on the list to determine what the deal is, I am now cautiously optimistic. They're not allowed to say anything officially until October 15 though, and they seemed a little upset that emails had already gone out.

Yes, I do believe it is a good sign. I received two of those e-mails last year and was accepted to the schools about two weeks later. As long as there is nothing damaging in your background, you're golden.

I would pop the champagne if I were you.

they're clearly just screwing with you guys... they only sent out the CBCs to the people they rejected, because they thought it would be funny to see what sort of records the losers had.

All sarcasm aside -- congratulations! CBC's are expensive and taken very seriously by employers/schools. Schools wouldn't go through the effort of a CBC if they didn't want you. As long as you don't have a criminal record, I would pop a champagne bottle because you're going to medical school. Congrats again!

Please read...

I got one of those emails to, but what does that mean? If you interviewed at 3 schools, and all 3 schools are participating in CBC, and you only get 1 CBC email... does that mean you only get into 1 out of 3 schools?

More plainly, the admissions committee at Michigan told me that they'd make their decision on my app on 9/17, meaning my fate has already been decided.

So is the fact that I haven't got this CBC email earlier means that I didn't get into Michigan?

For those of you who've gone through this in the past, does every 1 CBC email correlate to every 1 acceptance?

Please read...

I got one of those emails to, but what does that mean? If you interviewed at 3 schools, and all 3 schools are participating in CBC, and you only get 1 CBC email... does that mean you only get into 1 out of 3 schools?

More plainly, the admissions committee at Michigan told me that they'd make their decision on my app on 9/17, meaning my fate has already been decided.

So is the fact that I haven't got this CBC email earlier means that I didn't get into Michigan?

For those of you who've gone through this in the past, does every 1 CBC email correlate to every 1 acceptance?

From AMCAS:

"The CBC icon indicates that this school participates in an AMCAS-facilitated criminal background check service. Via this service, upon your initial, conditional acceptance by a participating medical school, or upon request by a participating medical school that adds you to its alternate list, our partner in this service, Certiphi Screening, Inc., will send an email to the preferred email address you entered in your AMCAS application. This email will provide you with additional information and access to a secure, online form via which you will provide consent for this report to be procured. Your consent will serve for all medical schools, and you will not be asked to provide consent upon receiving additional, conditional acceptance offers by participating medical schools. For more information, visit http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/backgrounddetails.htm"

damn.. none of the school si interviewed at do this :(

Members don't see this ad :)
JackintheBox, appreciate the info.

Is this the first date CBC is sending out it's stuff?

This is very interesting. For those of you that got this message do you mind sharing where you've hand interviews so far? I'm trying to figure out if the schools that I've interviewed at have sent out the CBC requests. Thanks!

This is very interesting. For those of you that got this message do you mind sharing where you've hand interviews so far? I'm trying to figure out if the schools that I've interviewed at have sent out the CBC requests. Thanks!

Yes, I`m dying to know as well!

Yay another thread to make me start freaking out!

i interviewed at case, and i got a CBC thing this morning

The one thing I didn`t want to hear :( :( :(

crap this thread makes me sad =/

has anyone interviewed at umich and gotten this?

Last edited:
crap this thread makes me sad =/

has anyone interviewed at umich and gotten this?

Not me. It does seem like Case is one of the schools that's sending out CBC's now...

Although I seem to remember agreeing to something about the CBC at some point while I was filling out AMCAS. Does anyone else remember agreeing to something like that?

Did anyone who did NOT interview at Case get one? This might help to solve some mysteries.

good lord give freakin interview dates!

Guys! I'm fairly stressed out myself... but I don't think we're necessarily doomed if we didn't get a CBC today!

*breathe in, breathe out*

so if we interviewed at Case and did not get the CBC, is it fair to assume we did not get accepted?

Not me. It does seem like Case is one of the schools that's sending out CBC's now...

Although I seem to remember agreeing to something about the CBC at some point while I was filling out AMCAS. Does anyone else remember agreeing to something like that?

yeah i remembered something like that.

This is sort of funny. But I feel bad for those of you freaking out. Tulane does CBC, but they said it will be two weeks before a decision is made. Still have a week to go.

Remember: If you are not sure if your school uses CBC, check your school list on AMCAS and look for the CBC icon.

Has anyone gotten one from Iowa?

Last edited:
i had interviews at case and vandy... i'm guessing this email is from case? i interviewed the second week of september (super early!)

It has been asked but let me throw it out there again.....

Has anyone that interviewed at umich received one? (And have you also interviewed at another school that uses the cbc)?

I interviewed 9/19.....I think they probably made a decision on my file by now and I havent gotten any emails from amcas.....Freaking out!

Iowa said the committee was not going to meet to make decisions until after October 15th, so we will not get it before then nor immediately after.

Patience.

It has been asked but let me throw it out there again.....

Has anyone that interviewed at umich received one? (And have you also interviewed at another school that uses the cbc)?

I interviewed 9/19.....I think they probably made a decision on my file by now and I havent gotten any emails from amcas.....Freaking out!

same!! I interviewed 9/12, and I know they made my decision on 12/17, but I havent gotten an email. =/

Iowa said the committee was not going to meet to make decisions until after October 15th, so we will not get it before then nor immediately after.

Yes, thats what every school says. No decisions until after the 15th. The point of this thread is that these CBC email can come out before the 15th.

Well doesn't this just suck. I guess this means I got rejected from Case. or does it? Somebody club me in the head. lol.

This is really working up my imagination.

I interviewed at Case and got nothing. Guess only time will tell, but this is discouraging.

same!! I interviewed 9/12, and I know they made my decision on 12/17, but I havent gotten an email. =/

Oh my...can you tell us whether Obama or McCain becomes President? And, while you're at it, lottery numbers please! Everyone in this thread can share the winnings :)

I interviewed at Case on 9/15 and CU 9/19, and just got one of these yesterday morning.....trying not to get too *conditionally* excited.

If last year is any indication, the CBC email doesn't mean anything. Apparently, everyone who applied to any school that uses CBC got the email, even those who were already rejected or had no interviews from those schools. Of course, since it was a pilot program last year, they could've changed a few things...

If last year is any indication, the CBC email doesn't mean anything. Apparently, everyone who applied to any school that uses CBC got the email, even those who were already rejected or had no interviews from those schools. Of course, since it was a pilot program last year, they could've changed a few things...

Yeah, but read the email:

You have received this email because you have been conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated pilot program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants.

And yes, I did also get the email (interviewed at case 9/12), and just to be on the safe side, I'm just gonna imagine that I've been placed on the waitlist.

I interviewed at Case on 9/15 and CU 9/19, and just got one of these yesterday morning.....trying not to get too *conditionally* excited.

I am assuming CU means creighton, in which case this could mean you are accepted at Case. Congrats!