Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have to make a decision about next year and what to do financially. I am looking for some advice. Here is my situation:
-6 yr residency program in expensive city (in July will have 5 left)
-200k in loans, in forbearance this year. Estimated IBR payment will be $400/mo
-renting apt currently, affordable, in great location
-paying a $500/mo car payment, which will be done next year
-will likely do fellowship, then academics, in OTO.
-I have a 5 digit credit card debt after away rotations, applications, interviews, and moving 3200 miles.
So, the decision I have to make is about next year when my car is paid off and I now have an extra $500/mo + a raise. This would allow me to either begin the IBR or buy a condo. I could get a decent condo for around $225k right now which is an excellent price, and I would qualify for a physician loan through SunTrust which would also be a good deal. However, I can't do both IBR and buy a condo. Finally, I could just pay 500/mo to my credit cards and get them paid off quickly as they are all around 10% APR.
So the way I look at it, which would be better in terms of investment? I calculated it out, and it looks like by doing IBR payments for 5 years plus fellowship and then 4 years at the full rate in an academic center, I could be looking at a huge loan forgiveness (over $200k). If I let the juice run on those loans (half are at 2.7% and half are at 6.8%), I could potentially buy a condo and save close to 70k on rent for 6 years, but would then have to sell it, and buying and moving are major pains, and would then be looking at over 300k to pay back after I finish residency.
Personally, I am leaning toward staying in this apt and starting the IBR, but that worries me too...what if it turns out in 10 yrs that the law changes and I don't get the loan forgiveness?
Please help!
-6 yr residency program in expensive city (in July will have 5 left)
-200k in loans, in forbearance this year. Estimated IBR payment will be $400/mo
-renting apt currently, affordable, in great location
-paying a $500/mo car payment, which will be done next year
-will likely do fellowship, then academics, in OTO.
-I have a 5 digit credit card debt after away rotations, applications, interviews, and moving 3200 miles.
So, the decision I have to make is about next year when my car is paid off and I now have an extra $500/mo + a raise. This would allow me to either begin the IBR or buy a condo. I could get a decent condo for around $225k right now which is an excellent price, and I would qualify for a physician loan through SunTrust which would also be a good deal. However, I can't do both IBR and buy a condo. Finally, I could just pay 500/mo to my credit cards and get them paid off quickly as they are all around 10% APR.
So the way I look at it, which would be better in terms of investment? I calculated it out, and it looks like by doing IBR payments for 5 years plus fellowship and then 4 years at the full rate in an academic center, I could be looking at a huge loan forgiveness (over $200k). If I let the juice run on those loans (half are at 2.7% and half are at 6.8%), I could potentially buy a condo and save close to 70k on rent for 6 years, but would then have to sell it, and buying and moving are major pains, and would then be looking at over 300k to pay back after I finish residency.
Personally, I am leaning toward staying in this apt and starting the IBR, but that worries me too...what if it turns out in 10 yrs that the law changes and I don't get the loan forgiveness?
Please help!