Cone beam supervision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radoncle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This may have been discussed previously. Does anyone know what the policy is regarding supervision for CBCT in hospital based practices? Can you bill if the images are checked remotely prior to the next fraction or does someone have to be on site?

I know of hospital based practices that have not hired docs at low volume satellites. I was wondering if they are still able to bill for IGRT on days when physicians are not present in the department.

Thanks for any insight in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a great question that you'll never get a straightforward answer to. We've personally called our MAC and couldn't get a straight answer. I'll give you a bunch of "technicals" I've heard. Technically, you should not be routinely checking CBCTs from home unless you register your home address as a site of service and submit claims under that address. Basically, it's no different than telemed radiology. Medicare has an exception for "non-routine" checking which, not surprisingly, is very vague like their guidance for XRT has always been. I believe someone previously posted a Bogardus slide saying films could be checked remotely from home, so who knows...Regarding satellites, technically, you can read an IGRT remotely as long as you are in a center credentialed with medicare, but technically you should be billing the service out of that location. (e.g. patient was treated at satellite X, so technical claims should have X as site of service, but the prof component was done at main campus Y, so the prof should be billed out of that site). Doubtful any of that is happening in the real world.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
"I was wondering if they are still able to bill for IGRT on days when physicians are not present in the department."

Always think it's important to note that the technical component of the IGRT charge, in the hospital, when it's an IMRT patient (and most patients are IMRT who get IGRT) is always $0. So then the "charge for IGRT" in the hospital usually is going to boil down to a professional-only charge, and will it be the hospital billing it for their hospital-employed MD, or the MD billing it on her own under her own PC. In my experience only, the latter usually know the nuances involved and experience no drama or angst over billing the professional in a reasonable and ethical manner. As you probably know, IGRT supervision is now legally able to be done in hospitals by NPs, PAs, etc. And this should be supervision of the technical (they can't supervise the MD doing the professional); and again, the technical charge is almost always $0 so one wonders what's all the fuss.

TBH it's still a muddled mess because even though the law has made IGRT supervision NP/PA doable, if you download the MPFS which lists supervision levels, it says 77014-TC (technical IGRT charge) is still level 2. Level 9 (77014-26, the professional IGRT charge) means "the (supervision) concept does not apply."

And so with supervision for IGRT, the Government is as best as I can tell, right now, saying (via MPFS vs the Federal Register) EXACTLY opposite things. (I'd go with the Register.)

cxrevay.png

ZO7WTDj.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"I was wondering if they are still able to bill for IGRT on days when physicians are not present in the department."

Always think it's important to note that the technical component of the IGRT charge, in the hospital, when it's an IMRT patient (and most patients are IMRT who get IGRT) is always $0. So then the "charge for IGRT" in the hospital usually is going to boil down to a professional-only charge, and will it be the hospital billing it for their hospital-employed MD, or the MD billing it on her own under her own PC. In my experience only, the latter usually know the nuances involved and experience no drama or angst over billing the professional in a reasonable and ethical manner. As you probably know, IGRT supervision is now legally able to be done in hospitals by NPs, PAs, etc. And this should be supervision of the technical (they can't supervise the MD doing the professional); and again, the technical charge is almost always $0 so one wonders what's all the fuss.

TBH it's still a muddled mess because even though the law has made IGRT supervision NP/PA doable, if you download the MPFS which lists supervision levels, it says 77014-TC (technical IGRT charge) is still level 2. Level 9 (77014-26, the professional IGRT charge) means "the (supervision) concept does not apply."

cxrevay.png

ZO7WTDj.png
Thanks so much. It’s so hard to get a clear answer from billers or anyone else. Basically, I’m trying to find out if any rules are being broken by billing the professional component of CBCT remotely maybe 1 day a week. Sounds like it’s permissible. Maybe.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much. It’s so hard to get a clear answer from billers or anyone else. Basically, I’m trying to find out if any rules are being broken by billing the professional component of CBCT remotely maybe 1 day a week. Sounds like it’s permissible. Maybe.
A federal rule? No. A hospital rule or boss's rule? All depends. If you're your own boss, set up a compliance committee of 1 and discuss it. If your committee reaches a decision that you're happy with, I'd encourage you not to ask the question of anyone ever again because the clarity you'll feel can only erode with further "information" from the "billing experts."

I can't even get a straight answer at my institution. For years it has been we can only charge if you were physically present in the hospital when the cone beam was obtained. So if I step out for an appointment etc someone has to "cover" my cone beams. Yet on the weekend I can check them remotely and bill the professional charge. Ditto for treatments delivered after 5:00. I am highly skeptical that billing rules give 2 craps about "standard business hours." That said, if I ask too many questions I may be told I have to come in on weekends (during call) and wait until all of my patients finish treatment in the evening before heading out to collect professional charges for the overlords. I am not that curious. It is just intellectually hard for me to smile and nod at obvious logical incongruencies.

Reactions: 1 users
We looked at this and determine you could do it remote.
A federal rule? No. A hospital rule or boss's rule? All depends. If you're your own boss, set up a compliance committee of 1 and discuss it. If your committee reaches a decision that you're happy with, I'd encourage you not to ask the question of anyone ever again because the clarity you'll feel can only erode with further "information" from the "billing experts."
Our hospital concluded cone beam could be read remotely. On a practical note, DOJ would not get involved in anything without hundreds of thousands/probably millions as stake, not a few cone beams on the handful of medicare pts. There was also some kind of guidance/law passed during the Trump administration regarding CMS that violations have to be "clear cut" and explicit. ie the rules explicitly say you cant do something, and you do it anyway! Explicity prohibited by a law.(not even guidance documents)

Last edited:
We looked at this and determine you could do it remote.

Our hospital concluded cone beam could be read remotely. On a practical note, DOJ would not get involved in anything without hundreds of thousands/probably millions as stake, not a few cone beams on the handful of medicare pts. There was also some kind of guidance/law passed during the Trump administration regarding CMS that violations have to be "clear cut" and explicit. ie the rules explicitly say you cant do something, and you do it anyway!
This is all 100% true IMHO. But I'm just a pinniped, be careful listening to me.
EDIT:
"On a practical note, DOJ would not get involved in anything without hundreds of thousands/probably millions as stake, not a few cone beams on the handful of medicare pts."
Keep in mind, not to be scary or anything, that the DOJ can try to penalize $23,000 per $45 (MD charge) CBCT. So 1000 cone beams on 25 prostate patients could wind up being $23 million plus! "Now you're talkin'" says the 25yo DOJ attorney looking for a big promotion. The damages get to be tripled, but that would "only" then be less than $150K (on top of the $23 million).

It is just intellectually hard for me to smile and nod at obvious logical incongruencies.
"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposing ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

- F. Scott Fitzgerald, speaking about IGRT supervision

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
One day a week? Just review previous days in the morning and same day's in the afternoon if it's only once weekly.
"Hello Ray. What's happening. We have sort of a problem here. You apparently have this single day gap in the IGRT charges. Looks like maybe you tried to check all these images from this one day you were out of the office on the following day. Someone could say 'Did you REALLY check the images in the morning BEFORE the patient came in?' And it means I have to make two daily IGRT charges on each patient here. So yeah. If you could just not do that anymore that'd be great."

"Hello Ray. What's happening. We have sort of a problem here. You apparently have this single day gap in the IGRT charges. Looks like maybe you tried to check all these images from this one day you were out of the office on the following day. Someone could say 'Did you REALLY check the images in the morning BEFORE the patient came in?' And it means I have to make two daily IGRT charges on each patient here. So yeah. If you could just not do that anymore that'd be great."
We have a time stamp on when things were checked/when treated.

some background on guidance documents

A Little History

The Final Rule (and EO 13892) was promulgated as part of President Trump’s wider efforts throughout his term to “protect Americans from out-of-control bureaucracy and stop regulators from imposing secret rules and hidden penalties on the American people.”[2]

In a November 16, 2017 DOJ Memorandum (the “Sessions Memorandum”), then U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that the DOJ would no longer engage in the practice of publishing, “guidance documents – or similar instruments of future effect by other names, such as letters to regulated entities – that effectively bind private parties without undergoing the rulemaking process.” On January 25, 2018, the DOJ expanded on the directives included in the Sessions Memorandum by issuing the “Brand Memorandum.”[3] The Brand Memorandum prohibits civil enforcement actions based on “noncompliance with guidance documents.” In addition, the Brand Memorandum clarified that the Sessions Memorandum prohibits the DOJ from, “using [DOJ] guidance documents to coerce regulated parties into taking any action or refraining from taking any action beyond what is required by the terms of the applicable statute or lawful regulation.”

In the midst of the Trump Administration’s efforts to roll back agency actions based on guidance documents, the U.S. Supreme Court weighed in on a particular aspect of agency policymaking and its notice and comment obligations. On June 3, 2019, the Supreme Court in Azar v. Allina Health Services addressed an attempt by HHS to change Medicare reimbursement rules by posting revisions online, without going through the APA’s formal rulemaking/notice-and-comment process. By way of background, the Medicare Act authorizes reimbursement adjustments (disproportionate share (“DSH”) adjustments) to increase payments to hospitals that treat a disproportionately high number of low-income patients. The DSH adjustment formula included the number of “patient days” for patients entitled to benefits under Medicare Part A (hospital benefits); however, in 2012, HHS sought to expand the interpretation of “patient days” for patients entitled to benefits under Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage benefits). The Allina Court rejected HHS’s attempt to change the reimbursement formula without notice and comment procedures, finding that the change was “substantive” with the “full force and effect of law” rather than merely “interpretive.” Following the Allina decision, HHS issued an October 31, 2019 internal memorandum (the “HHS Memorandum”) that discouraged the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (“CMS”) from basing enforcement actions on guidance documents that are “not closely tied to statutory or regulatory standards.”

While the Court rejected HHS’ actions in the context of DSH reimbursement adjustments under the Medicare Act., it is important to note that the courts have preserved the ability of agencies to issue guidance or other “sub-regulatory” documents without the need to follow notice and comment procedures. For example, in Clarian Health West v. Hargan, the D.C. Circuit found that a CMS manual detailing claim processing was mere a policy statement (rather than a substantive rule requiring notice and comment procedures) because it had no binding legal effect. However, given the wide-ranging use of sub-regulatory documents by HHS and CMS over the years in the administration of the Medicare program – e.g., Medicare local coverage determinations, Medicare provider and other manuals, etc. – the Allina decision and the HHS Memorandum has already made an impact on the enforcement of Medicare reimbursement and other rules traditionally relied upon by CMS and HHS. For example, historically CMS and HHS have used sub-regulatory guidance as the basis of False Claims Act actions, and the HHS Memorandum has allowed providers to avoid False Claims Acts liability if the action is based solely on sub-regulatory guidance.[4]

Now What?

As noted above, on January 20, 2021, President Biden signed the Biden Order and, in turn, revoked EO 13892. As described in the policy statement included in the Biden Order:

“It is the policy of my Administration to use available tools to confront the urgent challenges facing the Nation, including the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, economic recovery, racial justice, and climate change. To tackle these challenges effectively, executive departments and agencies (agencies) must be equipped with the flexibility to use robust regulatory action to address national priorities. This order revokes harmful policies and directives that threaten to frustrate the Federal Government’s ability to confront these problems, and empowers agencies to use appropriate regulatory tools to achieve these goals.”

In order to implement the revocation of EO 13892 and those other Executive Orders identified in the Biden Order, the Biden Order directs the Office of Management and Budget (“OMB”) Director and the leaders of the impacted federal agencies – in this case, the HHS Secretary – to promptly revoke any orders, rules, regulations, guidelines, policies, or portions thereof, that implement or enforce the Executive Orders to be revoked pursuant to the Biden Order.

In addition to the foregoing, the Biden Order makes clear that if an Executive Order cannot be finalized immediately – for example, in the case of duly promulgated regulations that are related to an Executive Order pending revocation under the Biden Order – the OMB Director and the heads of the impacted agencies shall, “promptly take steps to provide all available exemptions authorized by any such orders, rules, regulations, guidelines, or policies, as appropriate and consistent with applicable law.”

Because the Final Rule was implemented without notice and comment procedures (which is allowed for rules articulating agency practice and procedure), the Biden Administration can theoretically reverse the rule without notice and comment, and thus avoid significant regulatory roadblocks in repealing the Final Rule as a technical matter. Indeed, another procedural rule can effectuate the repeal, so long as the reasons for repeal are sufficiently articulated (i.e. not arbitrary and capricious).

However, even if the Final Rule is ostensibly repealed, its overarching policy aims may prove to persist longer than desired by the Biden Administration. Though the Sessions and Brand Memorandums do not have the full force of law and will have limited effect on Biden’s DOJ and HHS, the Trump Administration’s efforts to undermine the use of guidance documents have been embraced, at least in part, by the judiciary. The Supreme Court in Allina echoed the sentiments of the Brand Memorandum, by refusing to allow HHS to base enforcement actions on guidance documents that are “not closely tied to statutory or regulatory standards.”

The Allina decision also may be emblematic of future judicial challenges to Biden’s overarching regulatory agenda, given the influx of conservative Trump appointees in the federal judiciary. While the Allina decision itself including both conservative and more liberal members of the Court in its opinion, certainly those seeking to challenge HHS or other Biden Administration enforcement actions will be likelier to find friendlier judicial venues and more favorable caselaw than they would four years ago to challenge such actions.

The healthcare industry will be anxiously awaiting the Administration’s next moves pursuant to the Biden Order (and perhaps, judicial responses to such actions) given the unique significance of guidance documents in healthcare.