• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Conference/Poster Presentations

Marquis_Phoenix

10+ Year Member
May 6, 2006
  1. Post Doc
    I've been searching around. I'm not quite sure which ones undergraduates are eligible for and how to apply for them?

There's those poster presentations that are internal, where students presents research to their professors and peers. These I know of.

The second type, those that occur at scientific conferences, I'm not so sure how to get involved in?

ThatOne

10+ Year Member
    Jun 13, 2006
    1. Pre-Medical
      I was lucky enough to have an advisor encourage me to present a poster at Neuroscience 2005, when I was an undergradaute.

From my understanding, that's what it takes -- an advisor who wants you to present, not to mention a project that gives you data worth presenting. Which is why I said I'm lucky.

InNotOf

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jan 18, 2005
        I was lucky enough to have an advisor encourage me to present a poster at Neuroscience 2005, when I was an undergradaute.

From my understanding, that's what it takes -- an advisor who wants you to present, not to mention a project that gives you data worth presenting. Which is why I said I'm lucky.

How necessary (or common) is it for MSTP applicants to have presented at these types of conferences?

About the Ads

Vader

Dark Lord of the Sith
        Moderator Emeritus
        Jun 5, 2001
        1. Attending Physician
          It is pretty common to have at least a poster presentation at a scientific meeting. Not completely necessary, but does show that an applicant is able to present his/her work.

Ask your advisor about some of the conferences in your research area.

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
          Moderator Emeritus
          10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jan 13, 2006
          Somewhere in time and relative dimensions in space
          1. Medical Student
            I've been searching around. I'm not quite sure which ones undergraduates are eligible for and how to apply for them?

There's those poster presentations that are internal, where students presents research to their professors and peers. These I know of.

The second type, those that occur at scientific conferences, I'm not so sure how to get involved in?
            Talk to your advisor or your boss (if you're working in a lab. They'll know of some local student conferences that you can apply to.
            InNotOf said:
            How necessary (or common) is it for MSTP applicants to have presented at these types of conferences?
            It's evidence that you not only do work, but it's of a quality and originality that it's worth a poster (or abstract, etc). I'd expect just about all MSTP students to have one on their CV. Don't worry - it's easy to throw one together. Have a talk with your boss and make sure that they know that's what you want. They'll be happy to help you because you'll add to their lab and name, and you'll get a line on your resume.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
            Jul 3, 2004
            Detroit, MI
            1. Fellow [Any Field]

You can look for conferences hosted by scientific groups. They usually have annual meetings where you can present. You'll have to submit an abstract, and they choose whether your work is worthy for poster or talk.

Psyduck

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Aug 29, 2006
                I just got the OK from my advisor for submitting the abstract of my project to a national conference! If you think that you have a good paper, definitely talk to your advisor about it. he/she will probably be supportive since it can't hurt to give it a try. And you can search around online for conferences held by the societies or journals dedicated to your research topic.

About the Ads
                This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.