CONFIDENTIAL LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OCHO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have a LOR post to their accounts that they havent seen? I have one and it makes me nervous. When I asked for the LOR, I asked if he would feel comfortable writing me a strong LOR and he said yes. Man, this sucks. I wish I knew what was written.

Anyone else going through the same?
Anyone wonder if they didnt get into a school because they got a bad LOR and didnt know it?

Members don't see this ad.

Most LORs you will get you won't see. If you think you performed well and had a good experience with this person I wouldn't worry too much about it not being a good letter.

Anyone else have a LOR post to their accounts that they havent seen? I have one and it makes me nervous. When I asked for the LOR, I asked if he would feel comfortable writing me a strong LOR and he said yes. Man, this sucks. I wish I knew what was written.

Anyone else going through the same?
Anyone wonder if they didnt get into a school because they got a bad LOR and didnt know it?

I never saw any of my LOR's. I think that's how most are. Don't worry though, your letter writer wouldn't have agreed to write a strong letter if he was aprehensive, unless he was out to get you...
twitch.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I never saw any of my LOR's. I think that's how most are. Don't worry though, your letter writer wouldn't have agreed to write a strong letter if he was aprehensive, unless he was out to get you...
twitch.gif

Arent they all out to get me...OH crap! I am now completely freakin out!

Hahahahaha

Actually, Adcoms like it when you cannot see your LORs. I talked with the head of the TCOM committee my junior year and she told me that when students don't waive their right to keep it private (i.e., they want to see it) then it can be seen as the student sending the letter back to the original person until the letter is completely fixed and crisp. I am busy at work so I don't know if my sentences were completely legible or intelligible, but I hope you get the point.

Peace.

Actually, Adcoms like it when you cannot see your LORs. I talked with the head of the TCOM committee my junior year and she told me that when students don't waive their right to keep it private (i.e., they want to see it) then it can be seen as the student sending the letter back to the original person until the letter is completely fixed and crisp. I am busy at work so I don't know if my sentences were completely legible or intelligible, but I hope you get the point.

Peace.

I totally get your point. Thank you for the insight.

LORs are such a crapshoot.

I ask my virology prof who I've known for only 1 semester, and he couldn't be more enthusiastic.

I ask my organic lab prof, and she was very enthusiastic...over email. I go to her office and its, "I only knew you for one semester...blah blah blah...my letter probably won't be very strong".

I got out of there quickly.

I always wondered if you paid the fee for interfolio to send your letters to some address lets say your mother-in-laws house could you then read them?

One of my LOR writers gave me a copy after I had told her of my acceptance it actually moved me to tears and I know my own life pretty well. So that is an option of asking for the LOR directly from the writer but the backdoor send it to yourself might work also. Let me know if you try it and it works I will be right behind you.

I don't think it would be any breach of confidentiality to read it cause it is not like you can change it? You would be able to not send it but would still have to get another letter of rec. Anyhow comments?

I always wondered if you paid the fee for interfolio to send your letters to some address lets say your mother-in-laws house could you then read them?

That would be unethical especially since you are agreeing that you have not seen them. If you pick the right letter writers and provide them with enough information about you then you shouldn't be concerned.

LORs are tough in general. My physician LORs are STELLAR. I know they are. I haven't seen them, but the doctors went up to my parents and told them, without asking, that they'd write letters for me. My nonscience will be strong, but I graduated and did a postbacc type thing, so I only got to know these professors for a semester no matter what. I always put the strong thing in. My organic prof. put the warning in that he puts my standing and grade in the class...which I think a B+ isn't too shabby (missed the A by 5 points total). Just in case I got two more letters. The classes I did best in, the people outright refused me. It kind of hurt. I spent all that time going to office hours and trying to establish a relationship to get denied.

It does kind of suck that you don't know what is written, but that is the name of the game. Most professors aren't out to ruin your life. If you're a good person and seem interested in their class then they'll bend over backwards. I actually scheduled an appointment with my profs. Came in and asked them if they would write the letter. When they said yes I scheduled another time to go in with my resume, personal statement and transcripts to talk about my goals and all that stuff. I feel that being organized and polite has helped me more than anything. Hopefully I don't have a false sense of confidence.

I haven't seen any of my letters. It never worried me. I was a little curious what was written, but not so much that I gave it a second thought.

I usually get along with my profs though. I was never worried that they'd write anything bad.

Hell, I had two letters from professors who were also training clients of mine, and triathletes who went riding with me occasionally.

One of my LOR writers gave me a copy after I had told her of my acceptance it actually moved me to tears and I know my own life pretty well. So that is an option of asking for the LOR directly from the writer but the backdoor send it to yourself might work also. Let me know if you try it and it works I will be right behind you.

I don't think it would be any breach of confidentiality to read it cause it is not like you can change it? You would be able to not send it but would still have to get another letter of rec. Anyhow comments?

Haha I strongly thought of doing this also. I actually could have it sent to someone in the medical field so it could seem legit. And then i was going to decide which ones to send out. I wouldn't even read it myself but ask the doctor what he thinks of the letter. What does anyone else think?

well, in my experience, I've seen the majority of my LsOR. I never asked and they were provided.

The only bad experience I've have had was with regard to my university committee/pre-professional letter. The chair of the bio department assured me he'd flag my letter for special input from his perspective. I'd worked on published research for him in his lab and helped a number of his PhD-track students with their projects in my spare time. Needless to say, the pre-med counselor ended up drafting my letter (not the chair) and there was no added "flare" as promised. In fact, I got suspicious with the lack of interest from med schools and inquired with the counsleor after the fact and she told me it was a rather generic and lack-luster letter. Her hands were tied as far as retracting and re-drafting since it was mid-cycle.

Basically, I fell through the cracks and I'm convinced it got me wait-listed at a couple of state allo schools. Going forward, I decided not to use the committee letter since I'm non-trad (it's your choice anyway, really) and I secured a number of top-notch personal LOR from other professors I'd worked with and from physicians I'd shadowed. They all allowed me to view them (I never requested it) and it was extremely flattering and humbling. They paved the way. **** my large university committee - they were disorganized and didn't go the extra mile to help students - at least this former, non-trad student. They'll never get any alumni money from this future doc. :smuggrin:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with viewing your letters and if they're provided, it's off the record. The only problem I see is the committee letter for obvious reasons (you likely wont' ever see that final draft). They've got so many to churn out that they are often rather generic and a waste IMO. The med schools are looking for more.

Most LORs you will get you won't see.

My experience has been just the opposite; every single letter I've requested from physicians and professors (over a few years) has been provided to me at some point or another. One professor only allowed me to view it in his office (the others gave me copies) and the physicians typically e-mailed me their draft copies.

I'd be surprised if you haven't been able/offered to view the letters, especially if you have a good rapport with those individuals.

You would be surprised as to the type of LORs you may receive -- that's what makes confidentiality so crapshoot, you never know what they may write about you. They may like you, but they may recall a random instance and over-exaggerate it, effectively rendering your chances at a medical school as nill.

On that note, good luck :thumbup:

Thank you guys for the replies. I just hate being in the position of not knowing. Oh well, I guess I will leave it up to the guy in the sky on this one. :D

Regardless of what "LOR" SHOULD mean to us, I kept scrolling over the list and seeing this post thinking, "Lord of the Rings....hahaha"

GRANTED--before any of you decide to get crazy about it--I realize there is a missing 't'. Nonetheless, it still rocks my world.

"THE PRECIOUS!!!!"

Methadone, look into it.