Confused about categorical and prelim interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foreverworthless

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to see if I could get some clarification: if I applied to both a categorical and preliminary position at an institution, and was offered a categorical interview, does that mean I’m “safe” from matching into a preliminary position at that school? I.e., they are not considering me for the preliminary?

Members don't see this ad.

Your question doesn't make any sense. You're not in any "danger" of getting a prelim if you don't want one.

If a program has both categorical and preliminary spots, you can interview for both. You can then rank each of them on your rank list. Presumably, you would rank all of your categorical spots first, and then all of your prelim spots after that. Then the match would try to put you into all of your categorical options and only match you to a prelim if none of the categorical were possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Your question doesn't make any sense. You're not in any "danger" of getting a prelim if you don't want one.

If a program has both categorical and preliminary spots, you can interview for both. You can then rank each of them on your rank list. Presumably, you would rank all of your categorical spots first, and then all of your prelim spots after that. Then the match would try to put you into all of your categorical options and only match you to a prelim if none of the categorical were possible.
Hi, thanks for your response. I guess what I mean is even if I applied prelim and categorical at a school, but was only invited to interview for categorical, is it still possible that the school could rank me for a prelim position, or would they only rank me for categorical since that’s all I interviewed for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thanks for your response. I guess what I mean is even if I applied prelim and categorical at a school, but was only invited to interview for categorical, is it still possible that the school could rank me for a prelim position, or would they only rank me for categorical since that’s all I interviewed for?
Only what you interviewed for . Plus - it wouldn’t matter anyway because the software goes off the applicant preference , not the program

Reactions: 1 user
Only what you interviewed for . Plus - it wouldn’t matter anyway because the software goes off the applicant preference , not the program
Thank you for your response and clarification!

You can only match into a spot if both you rank it and the program ranks you for it, and you will only be ranked for a spot if you interviewed for it (an exception might be someone who did an audition somewhere and was specifically told they'll be ranked without an interview).

If the program wanted to consider you for a prelim spot without interviewing you for it but based on your categorical interview (which seems to be your question), they would contact you and tell you that, as otherwise you probably wouldn't rank that prelim spot, and thus have no chance of matching there. This would also be a pretty unusual situation in the first place.

Reactions: 1 users
You can only match into a spot if both you rank it and the program ranks you for it, and you will only be ranked for a spot if you interviewed for it (an exception might be someone who did an audition somewhere and was specifically told they'll be ranked without an interview).

If the program wanted to consider you for a prelim spot without interviewing you for it but based on your categorical interview (which seems to be your question), they would contact you and tell you that, as otherwise you probably wouldn't rank that prelim spot, and thus have no chance of matching there. This would also be a pretty unusual situation in the first place.
Ok—that makes a lot of sense. That’s what I was getting at. Thank you, I really appreciate it!

There are surgery programs that will also rank you in their prelim rank list after a categorical interview, you are also ranked in the categorical list. They were all up front about this at the interview.

But you cannot match to a prelim spot that you did not rank, and even if a program ranks you #1 on their prelim list you literally cannot match there unless you have the prelim spot on your rank list. Prelim and categorical spots are different NRMP codes.

Reactions: 1 user
There are surgery programs that will also rank you in their prelim rank list after a categorical interview, you are also ranked in the categorical list. They were all up front about this at the interview.

But you cannot match to a prelim spot that you did not rank, and even if a program ranks you #1 on their prelim list you literally cannot match there unless you have the prelim spot on your rank list. Prelim and categorical spots are different NRMP codes.
Wait, so I can interview categorical, and the program could rank me prelim? Does this happen often? If so, do I then rank them prelim (after ranking them categorical) to not go unmatched?

Wait, so I can interview categorical, and the program could rank me prelim? Does this happen often? If so, do I then rank them prelim (after ranking them categorical) to not go unmatched?
In surgery it happens occasionally, programs are very up front about it as otherwise you would have no idea to rank the prelim spot if you were so inclined. It did not change how you were ranked on the categorical list.

Personally I did not rank any prelim spots. Only you can answer the question if it's better to rank the prelim spot. If you do make sure to rank all prelim spots at the bottom.

In surgery it happens occasionally, programs are very up front about it as otherwise you would have no idea to rank the prelim spot if you were so inclined. It did not change how you were ranked on the categorical list.

Personally I did not rank any prelim spots. Only you can answer the question if it's better to rank the prelim spot. If you do make sure to rank all prelim spots at the bottom.
Oh ok! Yeah, I double checked and all the invites specifically say “for a categorical”. But definitely a good thing to know—thank you again!!