Confused about Cincinnati children's please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laftrmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been a silent reader, checking in from time to time and seeing my questions already answered, but this time as my ROL deadline approaches Im at an impasse that I feel can only be resolved by posting.

I've lived my whole life, undergrad, research, med school, even my away electives, in the south and I was surprised and pleased with the interviews I got from many different places, chief among them, Cincinnati children's.

Ive done very well on my boards, clerkships, and research work but this was still unexpected and frankly I was pretty starstruck when I received the interview. Cinci's reputation, and sheer size overwhelmed me, entirely due to my internal machinations and state of mind and had nothing to do with the entirely welcoming and warm vibe I got from the program.

I absolutely loved the program, and it's currently at the top of my rank list but, but having spent most of my life in a laid-back midsize medical school and hospital program I realize I felt overwhelmed by the thought of being out of my comfort zone. My question is primarily this: do you guys think that someone in my place or like me would be compatible/ would be able to do well at CCHMC?

I'm currently debating between a midsize, resident run program far from home and CCHMC. and this is one of the questions that my decision hinges on, not so much where I want to go which is definitely Cincy but more to do with would I do well? For example just the thought of presenting grand rounds to a group of a hundred plus people of that caliber is daunting prospect for me. I'm sure this must seem a trivial question to many people but I am also certain that there must be some people who've been through the same thought process I am currently going through, and I just wonder if they and other people familiar with Cincinnati, particularly residents there can shine some light on what they think of this and help this guy resolve his impasse, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was pretty starstruck when I received the interview. Cinci's reputation, and sheer size overwhelmed me, entirely due to my internal machinations and state of mind and had nothing to do with the entirely welcoming and warm vibe I got from the program.

I absolutely loved the program, and it's currently at the top of my rank list but, but having spent most of my life in a laid-back midsize medical school and hospital program I realize I felt overwhelmed by the thought of being out of my comfort zone. My question is primarily this: do you guys think that someone in my place or like me would be compatible/ would be able to do well at CCHMC?

They put their pants on one leg at a time at CCHMC.:) Sounds like a perfect match for you. Enjoy your time there and don't forget to eat a lot of Graeter's ice cream..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I was both impressed and intimidated by Cincinnati. Hopefully, we'll end up interns together!

I'm an M4 at UCCOM. You guys really shouldn't be intimidated by CCHMC. They interviewed you for a reason and if you loved it here then definitely rank it at the top. The residents I've met are from all different size programs and seem to do very well and feel very nurtured. They get lots of support from the faculty and chiefs for their individualized interests and addressing their strengths & weaknesses.

If you have any questions, PM me.

In my experience: it is a huge program but still has that close-knit feel and people don't get lost in the mix as easily as one would think. Plus, having a big program = lots of people with different interests (faculty, fellows, alumni, and co-residents) so just by playing the odds you will have someone with common interests to yours.

Hi,

I can relate with your concerns. If you think you're having quite the change, I can reassure you it isn't as different altogether as landing in southwest OH coming from a mid-size medical school in south...america- my case.

Now all of what I may say is biased, but a legit feel. CCHMC is an awesome and most friendly place. It's hard enough to find yourself all of a sudden here, but everyone from our PD thru the ladies at housestaff thru (and very especially) the chiefs and your seniors- everyone- will do as much as they can to make you feel at home. I don't know if it's this super-friendliness of the midwest (i'd been most anywhere else in the US before coming, but not here) but most everyone here is good natured, approachable and spontaneously nice.

Everyone will know you're not expected to know beyond your level (especially the first few months) and there's *always* backup, day and night- for emergent situations as for simply charting when it gets busy.

Within a couple months you'll probably be on a first name basis with >80% of the residents, who you'll find have very diverse personalities and the program is open and adjustable to all. Likely by 6mos you'll gain plenty of confidence with the things you do and with the people you're with.

The city (as i mentioned somewhere else) is also amazing- and CCHMC is its best asset, so people like people from the hospital. so much so that you have discounts and all sorts of amenities around town and in different events. finding housing was also pretty easy, and super affordable.

I'm not the most outgoing in the lot, so I can relate to certain fears you seem to have :D but certainly presentations and rounds are rather very familiar and informal, so you'll be fine. You won't likely be the one doing grand rounds either so don't worry- but you'll do Farrell rounds at some point in your 3rd year (to a group of 70 or so residents and some students and some faculty you choose), and you'll likely rock it anyway.

If you like the place, rank it as you feel it. don't let fear/insecurity test you cos if they interviewed you it's because they like what you have to offer. you'll be amazed in a few months how well you fit if you felt that "vibe"!

To OBP: at risk of exposing myself here, I'd much rather eat pints and pints of that delicious UDF stuff before graeter's. I still don't get the fascination here over that place!

I just graduated from CCHMC for residency and I also came from a midsize medschool in the south. It is awesome..top notch. You won't find a more friendly program. Also by the time you do your Farrell Rounds (the "grand rounds" you were talking about), you'll be so comfortable with your colleagues you'll practically laugh your way though it. Clearly, I'm a fan. Can't go wrong there.

I just graduated from CCHMC for residency and I also came from a midsize medschool in the south. It is awesome..top notch. You won't find a more friendly program. Also by the time you do your Farrell Rounds (the "grand rounds" you were talking about), you'll be so comfortable with your colleagues you'll practically laugh your way though it. Clearly, I'm a fan. Can't go wrong there.

I graduated from Cinci a year before DrThom, and then stayed on as an Attending for 1 year before moving on to fellowship. It is an excellent program in an affordable city. You will see all the bread-n-butter Peds (no other Children's Hospitals to compete with in Tri-state area), plus all the zebras and international referrals. It's a busy program where you will "learn by doing, not by reading", and by 3rd year when you do do Farrell (Chairman's) rounds, you will be a pro at presenting. You get lots of conference experience all 3 years, with daily morning reports and noon conferences. They do a great job with didactics, and the Chiefs will help you too. Attendings love to teach, and since they started family-centered rounds, they know how to do it best. The Residency Program leadership is very approachable and always working on quality improvement and patient safety. It's VERY helpful to have Program leadership who are ED and PICU attendings, since those are places where good communication is key. Residents come from all sorts of places, and you shouldn't feel intimidated in ranking CCHMC.

I graduated from Cinci a year before DrThom, and then stayed on as an Attending for 1 year before moving on to fellowship. It is an excellent program in an affordable city. You will see all the bread-n-butter Peds (no other Children's Hospitals to compete with in Tri-state area), plus all the zebras and international referrals. It's a busy program where you will "learn by doing, not by reading", and by 3rd year when you do do Farrell (Chairman's) rounds, you will be a pro at presenting. You get lots of conference experience all 3 years, with daily morning reports and noon conferences. They do a great job with didactics, and the Chiefs will help you too. Attendings love to teach, and since they started family-centered rounds, they know how to do it best. The Residency Program leadership is very approachable and always working on quality improvement and patient safety. It's VERY helpful to have Program leadership who are ED and PICU attendings, since those are places where good communication is key. Residents come from all sorts of places, and you shouldn't feel intimidated in ranking CCHMC.

What do you mean by Tri-state area? Nationwide and Rainbow are both in Ohio, not to mention Pitt and CHOP in Pennsylvania.

What do you mean by Tri-state area? Nationwide and Rainbow are both in Ohio, not to mention Pitt and CHOP in Pennsylvania.

Tristate just refers to the intersection of 3 states. For CCHMC that refers to southeastern Indiana, southwestern OH and northern Kentucky. Within that encatchment area, CCHMC is the only hospital that admits children.

At UPMC they also talk about CHP having a monopoly in the "tristate area" but they are referring to western PA, southeast OH and northern WV.

I'm an intern at CCHMC and it's a great place to work! The friendliness of the residents and the faculty (especially program directors) is one of the main reasons I chose this program and I think I made a great choice :) I'm learning lots and feel very supported.
Of course I'm biased...
Good luck with your decision. Go with your gut and do not be afraid!

LOL...I'm from Pitt and came back. I guess one can assume there's only 1 tri-state area = UPMC:laugh:

Actually if you look at a map of Ohio, Cinci is ALL the way Southwest near Kentucky. So Tri-State there refers to IN-KY-OH, far from PA!

LOL...I'm from Pitt and came back. I guess one can assume there's only 1 tri-state area = UPMC:laugh:

Actually if you look at a map of Ohio, Cinci is ALL the way Southwest near Kentucky. So Tri-State there refers to IN-KY-OH, far from PA!

That makes sense :laugh: I thought TriState was a proper noun and only referred to 3 specific states and I was really confused. Carry on :)