Confused about email from POI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LGPsychology

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from my POI at one of the schools I'm applying to saying he's interested in speaking with me more about my interest in his research, and asked to set up a time to speak by phone.
What does this mean? It's not really an interview, is it sort of a pre-interview filter? Ha ha I don't know whether to be excited.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I'd consider that a phone interview. Like you said, it's probably a pre-interview filter, so I'd guess that if it goes well you'll be invited for an in-person interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one of these; it ended up being an informal phone interview that concluded in an invite to an in-person interview. So I would take it as a good sign. :)

I had one of these, that ended with an offer, and was followed up by a letter stating I didn't need to attend the "official" interview day. I didn't accept at that program though :)

I just got an email from my POI at one of the schools I'm applying to saying he's interested in speaking with me more about my interest in his research, and asked to set up a time to speak by phone.
What does this mean? It's not really an interview, is it sort of a pre-interview filter? Ha ha I don't know whether to be excited.

Get excited, but also get prepared-- make sure you're up to speed on your own past research activities as well as whatever you know about his research. Most importantly, have a few questions ready as well as your CV, SoP, and a pen/paper in front of you. It is very likely a pre-interview filter-- a chance for you to learn more about his current projects and for him to get to know you a tiny bit better (i.e., put a voice to the application). Congrats!