Confused about interest and repayment

Started by bagger123
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bagger123

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,
This may seem like a really unintelligent question, but I was confused regarding an aspect of paying back loans for medical school.

I was looking at the SallieMae Loan Repayment Calculator and some other repayment calculators I found on google.

My question is, when we are putting in our principle for these calculators, do they automatically take into account the interest we are accruing during the 4 years of school?
Or do we have to put in what our principle + accrued interest is.

Sorry if that doesnt make a lot of sense...another way to ask this would be to ask the following:

Say I taken out these loans all at the same interest rate for the sake of simplicity (say 8%):
Loan 1= 70,000 in Year 1
Loan 2= 70,000 in Year 2
Loan 3= 20,000 in Year 3
Loan 4 = 20,000 in Year 4
Loan 5 = 20,000 in Year 5
And these would obviously be collecting interest during these school years

So...would I enter in 200,000 as my Loan Balance in these calculators or would I enter in 200,000 + whatever interest would be collected in order to figure out my regular repayment?

Thanks