Confused about my future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theSAvet

Reaction score
I’ve been struggling with this thought for a while now. And I know most of you that read this will say that “you’re the only one who can figure out what’s best for you”, but I’d still like to hear your additional thoughts.

I’m in a vet program on an island outside of the USA. And I’m not happy at all. I don’t like most of the things about living here and I don’t like the school. It honestly makes me question if I want to be in vet med.

However, when i go home and work in a clinic, I know it’s what I want to be doing. I enjoy almost every aspect of the job. I could do without all the loud barking, but you have to take some bad with the good I guess 😋

But then I get back to school and the feelings of, “i don’t want to do this, but I’m not sure what else I can do because I’ve invested so much time into this dream…” return. With a vengeance.

How have y’all dealt with this internal struggle?

Members don't see this ad.

This is pretty similar to how I felt in school. I hated school and hated being far away from my family, even though it was still in the continental US and driveable. I loved my off campus rotations and stuff I did during the summers after 1st and 2nd year. I’m 1 year out and so much happier than I was in vet school and loving my job (even though sometimes clients be frustrating) and everyone I work with. Does your school have a vetmed-specific counselor at all that you could talk with?

You could also see about transferring, but vet school is going to suck wherever you go. The only real benefit would be not having to deal with things about island life you may not like, like not being able to get your favorite products and being a harder to travel distance away from family

Reactions: 3 users
I second what Ski said. School is a means to an end, life as a vet is a very, very different experience. Granted it comes with its own difficulties and stressors, but I think for the vast majority of people it's an improvement on being in vet school. Especially if you are happy when you're working in a clinical environment. Working as an assistant/tech is not the same experience as being a doctor of course, but you are exposed to a lot of the same environmental stressors, so you already kinda know how you deal with those.

Just know you're definitely not alone in how you're feeling. No one wants to be a vet student for the rest of their life. I think keeping in mind that there is an end date and that your life after will be better helps with getting through the ****ty parts. And definitely seek out a counselor if there is one available!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been struggling with this thought for a while now. And I know most of you that read this will say that “you’re the only one who can figure out what’s best for you”, but I’d still like to hear your additional thoughts.

I’m in a vet program on an island outside of the USA. And I’m not happy at all. I don’t like most of the things about living here and I don’t like the school. It honestly makes me question if I want to be in vet med.

However, when i go home and work in a clinic, I know it’s what I want to be doing. I enjoy almost every aspect of the job. I could do without all the loud barking, but you have to take some bad with the good I guess 😋

But then I get back to school and the feelings of, “i don’t want to do this, but I’m not sure what else I can do because I’ve invested so much time into this dream…” return. With a vengeance.

How have y’all dealt with this internal struggle?
I am rather curious if you could more clarify your struggle. Is it truly being on the island that is depressing. Or is it the course of study that depresses you while also on an island. Sometimes the idea of being a veterinarian is a greater pleasure than the pursuit of actually becoming a veterinarian. Is there a significant other at home that you do not want to be away from. Anybody who reads about your struggle wants you to succeed, but before I offer any suggestions, I need to know more about why you may feel this way.

Vet school sucked, and it was just what had to be done to get to the better stuff. Vet school isn't the goal, vet school is a step on the way to the goal. Being a vet is far more enjoyable, and easier, than being a vet student.

I can't comment about living in the Caribbean, though, or whether the things you hate about living there can be reasonably managed for a few years, or if they need to be changed now (is your health or safety at risk, or is it that you just miss things from back home?).

Reactions: 1 users
Hello to everyone who has commented on this post.

I’m really struggling with two aspects. An academic and a social aspect.

Academically; I just don’t feel like I have enough time to master the material before our weekly blocks. I’m failing my classes by one or two points each week which shows me that I have a fair idea of what’s going on, but need just a couple more days to get it to the passing grade. The pace is too fast and the scheduling is terrible because they professors leave for conferences etc so they try cram the work in before they have to leave. So they’re condensing and already condensed course. I attended class daily and watch the recordings again that evening, I make my own notes and attend the TA sessions. I’m even paying for private tutors (the TAs). So I’m not sure how much more I can do.

Socially; this island is not a good fit for me. The lack of an LGBTQ community is really getting to me. Coupled with the hostility the locals display towards the students on island. The lack of resources and sometimes basic needs like bread and milk. There’s no way to separate myself from the island or the program because of how small it is. Everywhere I turn, it’s either a student or a local. So I can never fully disengage when I’m trying to take some time for my mental health.

I’m trying to transfer into a masters program at several other schools because my grades have plummeted so much I’m no longer competitive for a DVM program. At this point I would do anything to just be away from here. Weekly I feel like a failure and I feel like I don’t have the Aptitute for veterinary medicine and I believe it’s because of the school and island. Not my capabilities

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I’m a little confused, are you in a DVM program and applying to get out by applying to masters programs?

Or is this a prevet program?
I’m in a DVM program at the moment but I have decided to withdraw. I still want to pursue a career as a veterinarian but I know that this is not the school that I’m supposed to do it at.

I will be applying to several masters programs in order to rehabilitate the damage that was done to my GPA after attending this school and reapply to vet schools once I am a competitive applicant again

I’m in a DVM program at the moment but I have decided to withdraw. I still want to pursue a career as a veterinarian but I know that this is not the school that I’m supposed to do it at.

I will be applying to several masters programs in order to rehabilitate the damage that was done to my GPA after attending this school and reapply to vet schools once I am a competitive applicant again
I strongly encourage you to contact potential vet schools to ask about your unique situation. They'll give you the best idea of what to do or expect.

Reactions: 2 users
I strongly encourage you to contact potential vet schools to ask about your unique situation. They'll give you the best idea of what to do or expect.
I wish I had the wisdom of Solomon to offer some constructive advise regarding your dilemma but I do not. If you haven't already, discuss the problems you are having with a counselor or school administrator. Picking up a masters degree irregardless of GPA is no guaranatee of admission to another program. As you know, competition for admission to a veterinary program is very high. That being said, if the situation you are in is not tolerable, then you have to do what you have to do. I do wish you luck.

I wish I had the wisdom of Solomon to offer some constructive advise regarding your dilemma but I do not. If you haven't already, discuss the problems you are having with a counselor or school administrator. Picking up a masters degree irregardless of GPA is no guaranatee of admission to another program. As you know, competition for admission to a veterinary program is very high. That being said, if the situation you are in is not tolerable, then you have to do what you have to do. I do wish you luck.
I think you meant to tag @theSAvetstudent rather than me