confused about NSLIJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are two North Shore Long Island Jewish programs in NY - one affiliated to NYU and the other to AECOM. Opinions on which one is better, both are equal or should stay away from any one of them? I compared their stats on FREIDA - pretty similar so any personal experiences or hearsay would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

"North Shore/LIJ" is the name of the hospital system, the largest on Long Island. The two flagship hospitals of the system are North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset (academically affiliated with NYU) and Long Island Jewish Hospital in New Hyde Park (academically affiliated with AECOM).

Most of the training programs are separate, though some are merged or in the process of merging.

As to which is 'better' - they both have reputations for being fairly solid IM programs but not exceptional. When I was a student, North Shore IM tended to take American graduates only (MD and DO, and some Sackler students) while LIJ's medicine program only accepted US MDs and FMGs. I'd say that the programs are at least on par with the mid- to lower tier Manhattan programs academically. Important for some is that both hospitals have decent fellowship training opportunities.

In terms of location, they are only a half hour or so from Manhattan so you get the benefit of living close to the city without paying ridiculous amounts for rent.

good reply..appreciate it. this is what I understood from it too.