New Job, confused

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pembrolizumab

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3rd year Hem/Onc fellow at a 2nd tier academic center. Really interested in hem/BMT, but geographically restricted for family reasons. I am unable to find a hem/BMT job in the place of my choosing, but will likely get a solid tumor job.

1) Is it possible to switch after 2-3 years from solids back to hem/BMT?
2) Is a BMT fellowship required? My program has a pretty good TCT program and my third year is BMT heavy. I kind of feel comfortable with most allos and CAR-Ts, but then you don't know what you don't know.
3) What do I need to do to get FACT accredited? I know centers get FACT accredited, but is there a thing for physicians too?
 
3rd year Hem/Onc fellow at a 2nd tier academic center. Really interested in hem/BMT, but geographically restricted for family reasons. I am unable to find a hem/BMT job in the place of my choosing, but will likely get a solid tumor job.

1) Is it possible to switch after 2-3 years from solids back to hem/BMT?
Yes. It happens. There are several docs in my university's Heme Mal group that previously worked gen onc jobs. You'd be best off getting a community-based job so you can still do some heme mal. Don't take an academic breast cancer job in the hopes you can parlay it into a BMT job later. That's not happening.

2) Is a BMT fellowship required? My program has a pretty good TCT program and my third year is BMT heavy. I kind of feel comfortable with most allos and CAR-Ts, but then you don't know what you don't know.
Totally job dependent. Becoming more common but still variable.

3) What do I need to do to get FACT accredited? I know centers get FACT accredited, but is there a thing for physicians too?
FACT is for programs/centers, not people.