Confused about Power, someone please explain...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pineappletree

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm having a problem understanding power

I know that P=W/Efficiency=change in W/change in time


However, how does P=Energy/change in time??


Considering that W=change in E, and E does NOT equal change in W, I don't know how this conversion works


Are some of my conversions wrong? How does Power=E/t??
 
I always thought it was net work/over time since P = w/t greater work in shorter amount of time = more power. (TPR defines it as the rate which work is done or energy is used) 1 watt = 1 W = 1 J/s (Since a Joule is 1 newton x meter) you can see from units how Work and energy are related as well.

Now based on the work/energy formula W = change in KE, you can see why it is interchangeable.

I don't know if that just made it more confusing, but as long as you know W= KE, you are more than well set for the MCAT.
 
Last edited: