Confused With My Next Step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AveragePerson.Psych

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm currently working on my post bac and trying to get back into the study habit for the MCAT. I was studying for MCAT over the summer and read through all of my Princeton review books; I didn't take the exam because it was recommended to me that I complete certain prerequisite courses first. I just finished with O-Chem I, Physics I, and Introductory Biology I (I took cell biology before the intro course).

Should I reread the content review books or just practice with exams, flashcards, and practice questions? I'm aiming to make less stress for myself as possible. Since I plan on taking Introductory Bio II, O-Chem II, and Physics II next semester, I'm especially unsure if I should reread those content review books. Also, currently the biochemistry course at my university is full, but if a space opens, should I drop Physics II or O-Chem II to take biochemistry (since the MCAT has a good portion of Biochemistry)?

I'm aiming to take the test in April, should I wait until May or is April alright?

Thank you for your help and any advice given. Happy holidays folks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know your situation but I'd try to take the prereqs + biochem, THEN study, THEN apply. Are you dead set on applying this cycle?

If you are dead set on applying this cycle, biochem will be more helpful for the exam than ochem II, but make sure you'll have your prereqs done before you apply. I think ochem 2 is a prereq at a lot of places (not sure about this, check your in-state schools and schools to which you'll apply)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know your situation but I'd try to take the prereqs + biochem, THEN study, THEN apply. Are you dead set on applying this cycle?

If you are dead set on applying this cycle, biochem will be more helpful for the exam than ochem II, but make sure you'll have your prereqs done before you apply. I think ochem 2 is a prereq at a lot of places (not sure about this, check your in-state schools and schools to which you'll apply)
Thank you! I'm dead set on applying for this cycle.

I'm unsure how to explain my situation to you though so I'll just give what info I believe may help and if you need more, I'm happy to tell. Let's see...where to start. My undergraduate GPA in psychology was a 3.66 unsure of my science GPA truly because I only had the few science classes at the time. I only took the Gen Chem series (B in part I and a C in part II) and cell biology (B, I did take this before the Intro to Bio because I have a dual credit Bio course from a JC that I believe cleared me to take the cell bio, also I was doing the entire med planning on my own because unfortunately I did not know premed advisors existed), plus a physiology psychology (A) class. The physiology psychology class was about the nervous systems, musculoskeletal, and how biological and environmental factors affect the body. My minor was originally Spanish, but I changed it to interdisciplinary studies (that's why I was only able to take some of the science course that I needed at the time rather than feeling the entire thing because I went ahead and graduated). I was trying to figure out if I would pursue psych or if I still wanted to go the medical route so I completed my MS in clinical psychology (3.90 GPA). I just finished O-Chem I (B), Physics I (B), Introductory Bio I (A). I plan on taking Physics II, Introductory Bio II, and hopefully Biochem. I hope this helped!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I'm dead set on applying for this cycle.

I'm unsure how to explain my situation to you though so I'll just give what info I believe may help and if you need more, I'm happy to tell. Let's see...where to start. My undergraduate GPA in psychology was a 3.66 unsure of my science GPA truly because I only had the few science classes at the time. I only took the Gen Chem series (B in part I and a C in part II) and cell biology (B, I did take this before the Intro to Bio because I have a dual credit Bio course from a JC that I believe cleared me to take the cell bio, also I was doing the entire med planning on my own because unfortunately I did not know premed advisors existed), plus a physiology psychology (A) class. The physiology psychology class was about the nervous systems, musculoskeletal, and how biological and environmental factors affect the body. My minor was originally Spanish, but I changed it to interdisciplinary studies (that's why I was only able to take some of the science course that I needed at the time rather than feeling the entire thing because I went ahead and graduated). I was trying to figure out if I would pursue psych or if I still wanted to go the medical route so I completed my MS in clinical psychology (3.90 GPA). I just finished O-Chem I (B), Physics I (B), Introductory Bio I (A). I plan on taking Physics II, Introductory Bio II, and hopefully Biochem. I hope this helped!
So chem, cell bio, physiology psych, ochem, physics, bio, and biochem will count for your science GPA. So will any math class (calculus, statistics, etc) you took.

I think you're fine without ochem II, just go on the website of your state schools and make sure that's not a prerequisite course.

Otherwise, studying looks like this: content review (Khan academy videos, kaplan books, whatever), then take practice tests, then review your practice tests, then go learn the content you didn't know on your practice tests..... and repeat that cycle until test day. There are guides you can find on SDN. or Reddit.

Use Anki to not forget stuff you're reviewing and you should be golden. You can make your own cards, or look on Reddit for [remade decks.

The most important thing is lots of practice querstions, and learning ehat you didn't know from those questions. Period. I took 10 practice exams, got a 520+

My ochem-II course covered enough of the bio chem that I think you’d be fine… but that was my experience with my curriculum