1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Confused about shadowing

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Heyytayyy, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Heyytayyy

Pre-Dental
    I just need a little help understanding shadowing and volunteer. I know the difference but in order to get my bachelor's degree I have to do 200 hours of volunteer work. Would that count towards getting accepted into dental school or do I have to also shadow a dentist?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Toothbrush Brother

Pre-Dental
    Shadowing is separate from volunteering. Try to get at least 100 hours of shadowing before you apply.

4. tortelliniboy

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Shadowing is so you can see what you're getting yourself into. As good as volunteering to help out at soup kitchens, can drives, etc is, it will not tell you if this is truly what you want to do with the rest of your life. Don't think of it as an explicit amount of shadowing hours you have to get; think of it as have done enough to convince yourself you want to be a dentist and equally importantly convinced the person looking at your file you know what you're doing.

5. Heyytayyy

Pre-Dental