Confused about SMPs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toast861

Carpetbagger
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for a couple hours and am still confused about a couple things:

1) I'm applying for med school this cycle (2009-2010 for entrance into class of 2014). I want to apply for an SMP if I don't get into med school. So can I apply for an SMP the December or January before classes start? Is that how it works?

2) I've noticed on some other posts the acceptance rates of students DURING the SMP year. How exactly does that work? Do you start the SMP in May, apply for med school in say, August or so, saying you've been accepted to an SMP, and then get accepted, finish the SMP and start med school the following August?

3) I've heard rumors that some programs allow you to skip the first year of med school if you get accepted into the SMP home instution's medical program. For example, if you do a SMP at X school and take the first year's medical courses as part of the SMP, apply and get accepted to X school's medical program, does that make you a second year when you matriculate into the med program? What if you've taken a course like Histology at X school (assuming it's a true SMP and you are taking medical school courses), apply and get accepted into Y school's med program, do you have to repeat Histology at Y school, or can you get transfer credit?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions - I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out. Any info anyone has would be GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I'm applying for med school this cycle (2009-2010 for entrance into class of 2014). I want to apply for an SMP if I don't get into med school. So can I apply for an SMP the December or January before classes start? Is that how it works?
Correct.

2) I've noticed on some other posts the acceptance rates of students DURING the SMP year. How exactly does that work? Do you start the SMP in May, apply for med school in say, August or so, saying you've been accepted to an SMP, and then get accepted, finish the SMP and start med school the following August?
Most SMPs start in August, or when the host med school starts. You'd want to do AMCAS a few months prior in June, finish all your secondaries before you start the SMP, and retake the MCAT before you start the SMP. An SMP that supports same-year apps will proactively communicate with the schools of your choice with progress letters and grades as you earn them. Even though you've applied AMCAS early, which is necessary for survival, you're still at a disadvantage, because the asset you're adding to your app by doing an SMP isn't earned or verifiable until at least December. But it seems to work pretty darned well.

3) I've heard rumors that some programs allow you to skip the first year of med school if you get accepted into the SMP home instution's medical program. For example, if you do a SMP at X school and take the first year's medical courses as part of the SMP, apply and get accepted to X school's medical program, does that make you a second year when you matriculate into the med program? What if you've taken a course like Histology at X school (assuming it's a true SMP and you are taking medical school courses), apply and get accepted into Y school's med program, do you have to repeat Histology at Y school, or can you get transfer credit?
You never get to skip first year. You'll pay for it whether or not you have to retake classes, and you'll be a first year after your SMP. No SMP covers an entire first year curriculum - more like 2/3. SMP grads frequently TA the courses they just took and/or do research or whatnot.

School Y is under no obligation to recognize your SMP coursework, and school Y may have an entirely different curriculum structure. You'd have to petition school Y for this consideration, after doing a ton of homework.

Best of luck to you.