You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step III Confused about Step 3 sign up process for different states
Started by SxRx
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If you want to take Step 3 before starting residency, you can just apply thru a state medical board that doesn't require the 1 year postgraduate experience. Conneticut or Delaware are good choices. You just need to have your medical degree already. After you receive your Step 3 permit, you can take the Step 3 in any state.I live in Illinois and I just found out that you can't take Step 3 until you finish your intern year! So, is there another way to take this exam through another state but still do my residency in Illinois? How does that all work?
So, what I'm understanding is - even though I don't live in Delaware or will e doing residency in Delaware I can apply to get my permit through Delaware?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What the others said is correct. Find a state where the only requirement to sit for Step 3 is that you have a medical degree. Select that state as the medical board of choice.I live in Illinois and I just found out that you can't take Step 3 until you finish your intern year! So, is there another way to take this exam through another state but still do my residency in Illinois? How does that all work?
Once you get your permit, you can choose any location in the USA to sit for your exam.
What the others said is correct. Find a state where the only requirement to sit for Step 3 is that you have a medical degree. Select that state as the medical board of choice.
Once you get your permit, you can choose any location in the USA to sit for your exam.
Still confused/concerned -
Are there any repercussions or consequences of registering in a state that you will probably never practice in? If for example I select Nebraska (no requirements) so I can take Step 3 before residency, will this information ever be visible again to anyone?
You will be licensed in neither state unless you apply for licensure there. Licensure is a separate process and varies from state to state. What state you register for step 3 under and the state in which you take the test do not matter.This is my question: If I say register and take step 3 in California and then do Residency and practice in NY, will i be Licensed in NY or CA? Or both?
Why is there no correlation needed for the state you register and the state you take the test in? Is this just some old loophole?
It's not a loophole it is just how it works. You need a state licensing board to sponsor you for Step 3. You find one to sponsor you. That is completely different from applying for a license, which you do after you receive your passing score. I don't see what the source of confusion is.
When I looked in to doing this the verification sheet requires a notarized signature from your PD. How do you get this before you even start residency?
Email your program coordinator asking if your PD will sign off on the form. FedEx said form to your PD/coordinator.
Okay, so I have a question about step 3 timeline.
If I sign up for Step 3 in June, get Verified by July, then am I locked into taking the test during the July-August-September 3 month period, or can I choose whatever 3 month period i want?
Bump. Really interested in an answer to this question...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, so I have a question about step 3 timeline.
If I sign up for Step 3 in June, get Verified by July, then am I locked into taking the test during the July-August-September 3 month period, or can I choose whatever 3 month period i want?
Once you apply and the application is complete, your three months begin. Unlike step 1 and 2 , you do not getto pick the time period. I did my application the last week of February and my permit was available 3/16 with available testing of 3/16-6/16. You can apply for a 1 time extension. 3 months I think
Once you apply and the application is complete, your three months begin. Unlike step 1 and 2 , you do not getto pick the time period. I did my application the last week of February and my permit was available 3/16 with available testing of 3/16-6/16. You can apply for a 1 time extension. 3 months I think
Yes, you can extend your eligibility for 3 additional months at a cost of $50 or $65, I forget.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 308