Confused about Step 3 sign up process for different states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SxRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in Illinois and I just found out that you can't take Step 3 until you finish your intern year! So, is there another way to take this exam through another state but still do my residency in Illinois? How does that all work?

Members don't see this ad.

I live in Illinois and I just found out that you can't take Step 3 until you finish your intern year! So, is there another way to take this exam through another state but still do my residency in Illinois? How does that all work?
If you want to take Step 3 before starting residency, you can just apply thru a state medical board that doesn't require the 1 year postgraduate experience. Conneticut or Delaware are good choices. You just need to have your medical degree already. After you receive your Step 3 permit, you can take the Step 3 in any state.

So, what I'm understanding is - even though I don't live in Delaware or will e doing residency in Delaware I can apply to get my permit through Delaware?

Members don't see this ad :)
What the others said is correct. Find a state where the only requirement to sit for Step 3 is that you have a medical degree. Select that state as the medical board of choice.

Once you get your permit, you can choose any location in the USA to sit for your exam.

What the others said is correct. Find a state where the only requirement to sit for Step 3 is that you have a medical degree. Select that state as the medical board of choice.

Once you get your permit, you can choose any location in the USA to sit for your exam.

Still confused/concerned -

Are there any repercussions or consequences of registering in a state that you will probably never practice in? If for example I select Nebraska (no requirements) so I can take Step 3 before residency, will this information ever be visible again to anyone?

This is my question: If I say register and take step 3 in California and then do Residency and practice in NY, will i be Licensed in NY or CA? Or both?

This is my question: If I say register and take step 3 in California and then do Residency and practice in NY, will i be Licensed in NY or CA? Or both?
You will be licensed in neither state unless you apply for licensure there. Licensure is a separate process and varies from state to state. What state you register for step 3 under and the state in which you take the test do not matter.

Why is there no correlation needed for the state you register and the state you take the test in? Is this just some old loophole?

It makes no difference for the sole purpose of taking Step 3. I registered in another state and so did many others I know without repercussion.

Why is there no correlation needed for the state you register and the state you take the test in? Is this just some old loophole?

It's not a loophole it is just how it works. You need a state licensing board to sponsor you for Step 3. You find one to sponsor you. That is completely different from applying for a license, which you do after you receive your passing score. I don't see what the source of confusion is.

Okay, so I have a question about step 3 timeline.

If I sign up for Step 3 in June, get Verified by July, then am I locked into taking the test during the July-August-September 3 month period, or can I choose whatever 3 month period i want?

If I sign up for Step 3 in June, get Verified by July, then am I locked into taking the test during the July-August-September 3 month period, or can I choose whatever 3 month period i want?

Bump. Really interested in an answer to this question...

once your application is complete (cert of identity, online registration) it takes 3-5 days to get your permit. when i received my permit, it showed that my testing dates were for the next 3 months. hope this helps.

Once you apply and the application is complete, your three months begin. Unlike step 1 and 2 , you do not getto pick the time period. I did my application the last week of February and my permit was available 3/16 with available testing of 3/16-6/16. You can apply for a 1 time extension. 3 months I think

Once you apply and the application is complete, your three months begin. Unlike step 1 and 2 , you do not getto pick the time period. I did my application the last week of February and my permit was available 3/16 with available testing of 3/16-6/16. You can apply for a 1 time extension. 3 months I think

Yes, you can extend your eligibility for 3 additional months at a cost of $50 or $65, I forget.