Confused about the indian med school process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
saz - scroll up to post #4... sunz81 went to the same med school and has explained it pretty well...

Members don't see this ad.

oh you are already done... haha... yeah this year deccan got like 16 varsity starters from america... they have like 6 point guards who played ball in high school back home... Really good team.. fun to see them play

nice... i haven't kept in touch with what's going on back there...

Members don't see this ad :)
im headed off to school there (in Bangalore) in Aug..so i'll give u all teh info i know.

4). Residency is ur training period after u graduate med school..before u become a full fledged doctor. After u take the USMLE step 1..u apply to residency programs in a field that ur interested in in, be it derm, cardio, IM, neuro, family practice, surgery, etc. Yeah some international students get stuck with left over seats and stuff..i mean, if u really wanna do a speciality, just go into a non competitive residency first..for a few years..do ur best, and then switch. But if ur a US citizen and being that u did ur internship back here, u'll have a better trump card to use in the residency hunt, over the traditional FMGs. Surgery is gonna be really hard for IMGs to get into...besdies, im more intersted in neuro and IM anyways...but i dunno about u.

the above does not make sense. if u want to do derm as an img u will not get it in 99.999% of the situations. why would u do a couple of years of IM or FP and switch? there is no guarantee. there is no guarantee of getting derm or anything competetive. you are too young to choose medicine let alone a speciality of ur choice. why r ur parents pushing u to go to india? is not counterintuitive for you to go to a place they left for good reason. tell them the following:

1) do u want me to get stuck with a FP residency in a kalu neighborhood or not matching

2) do u want me to do a low paying speciality not of my choosing for the rest of my life

3) do u want to pay 50,000-100,000 to pay for 49 interviews, externships in LA and Miami (this is what happened to me)

Why not try getting in america? If you dont get in then do a 4 year med school in the carribean (where the last 2 years r in the states) or europe (a lot more fun than india.) It is definately worth a shot of doing it here. check out my poll and other posts.

if your parents are insistent tell them you like dermatology and for them to find one img in the last few years who got it. DO NOT GO BY STORIES OF 60 YEAR OLD DOCTORS WHO CAME FROM INDIA AND ARE DERMATOLOGISTS. THE MARKET IS DIFFERENT NOW THAN BACK IN THE 1970s. Also dont listen to advice from current indian med students. first ask them how many residency interviews have been on and how many matches they were in. i went to 49 interviews and 2 matches. yes i did match into psych. i do like psych and i lucked out. how certain is it that u like FP, IM or Psych. well the minute u go to india u better hope u like it.

also it is difficult doing your rotations in america coming from india. the paperwork is a pain in the ass.

if you want more details about living in india PM me. i dont feel like posting such info. but if u r a guy with a healthy libido...well take a lot of propecia or go to a obg ward in india to kill ur libido. it would be a nuisance. also if i cant convince u to make the logical choice, i can advise u on how to make the best of ur time india.

i know 110% judging from your post u will regret it if u go. the drop out rate is high for NRIs who were pushed to going to india. do u parents not want u to be the doctor u want or do they just want a guaranteed dr. before ur name although u will be a dime a dozen FP doc.

if u let ur folks push u into this, wait 2-3 years and they will probably give u a shot gun wedding.

i suggest going to the local kaplan and talk to other us imgs.

reading from your posts, apparently you are a girl. they have it bad as well. u will get hit on by many localites u will not like (whistling autodrivers,etc.) . u will get to the point where u will set up ur defences. also in some ways it is harder for nri girls there. a lot of them complained. i felt the nri guys had more fun there but the nri women may have done better academically and finished on time.

a lot of NRI women develop what i cal the "NRI princess complex." they end up hooking up with some local guy they can use. some do end up marrying these guys. perhaps it is the NRI guy equivalent of marrying polish women when going to med school there.

if would also recommend looking into europe. if u r a guy, east europe is babe heaven.

anyhow whatever way u cut it, america is the best choice. what is the desperation of NRIs to leave the country and/or the planet to do medicine only to the peril of their carreers? btw what speciality do u like? unless u r 110% sure of doing family practice forget about going to india. psych is getting tougher every year. i believe IM is getting tougher. surgery granted is getting easier but still impossible.

also are you ok with doing your residency in brooklyn or mobile alabama?? please visit these areas before going to india.