confused about vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
why is the vanderbilt secondary online? i was under the impression that they only asked you to fill out a secondary if they were going to interview you. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

That's not the case.

Last year they changed it up...so I am assuming this year they are doing the same :)

on the website, it says that we'll get an invitation to complete the secondary via email. if they're not going to screen applicants initially, shouldn't we just start now?

Members don't see this ad :)
yes i would do it now unless it specifically says to wait, or that they screen applicants.

i applied last year and they didnt screen, but that could be solely because of the AMCAS 2002 disaster

i dunno... it says in msar "applications are reviewed in two stages. the initial review is made from material provided through amcas. competitive strength of credentials reflecting preparation for medical studies, motivation, personal qualities, and educational background, as these relate to career promise in medicine, is evaluated by the admissions committee and determines the recipients of secondary applications. applications receiving favorable initial review are invited to file a secondary application, which requires a $50 application fee, except in demonstrated circumstances of serious financial hardship. those who are sent a secondary application are also invited for an interview."
hmmm... seems funny it's online and that we can fill it out.

so... i got this e-mail today. looks like everyone should fill out the secondary i guess... still can't quite tell if they base the screening on the primary and the secondary or just the primary, but it seems like it's a good idea to submit the secondary.
i doubt i will be hearing within 6 weeks of transmission about an interview since i have yet to take the mcat.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanderbilt University School of Medicine has received a file indicating that you are in the process of completing your AMCAS application. We are so excited that you are an applicant to Vanderbilt's 2003 First Year Class!

Every applicant applying to Vanderbilt is invited to complete Vanderbilt's online secondary application at www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/prospective_medstu.php . When your AMCAS application has been transmitted to us, you may then submit the final version of the Vanderbilt online secondary application.

Invitations to interview at VUMS will be e-mailed as soon as screening is completed. This is accomplished on a rolling basis. You can expect to hear from us about four to six weeks from the date of the transmission of your AMCAS application to Vanderbilt.

Applying to medical school usually takes longer than any of us hope that it will. I urge you to submit the AMCAS application well before the deadline of October 15, 2002.

Patricia Sagen, Ph.D.
Director of Admissions
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
(615) 322 2145
(615) 343-8397
[email protected]

Visit our website at: www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/index.php

is it just my computer or does the application really ask for more than questions 1-11 (14 total apparently) before you encounter a submit buttom at the bottom of the page?

i thought we weren't supposed to submit until AMCAS transmits our primary?