Confused about what to do next...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punjabimunda712

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in orgo II currently and struggling to get a passing grade. This is the 3rd time I am taking it and It's just one of those subjects that I can't seem to grasp. Worse case scenario I fail it but that puts me at a spot where I don't know what to do.

I was wondering what should I do in order to still pursue my dream of become a doctor. My GPA is 3.1 and BCPM is probably around 2.9. I got a 22 on my first MCAT and retook it and waiting for the results. I will be graduating this summer but don't know what to do after that. I was just wondering if I could get some advice on what to do in order to make sure I don't set myself up for failure and whatever I do, its just moving forward to my career goal.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in orgo II currently and struggling to get a passing grade. This is the 3rd time I am taking it and It's just one of those subjects that I can't seem to grasp. Worse case scenario I fail it but that puts me at a spot where I don't know what to do.

I was wondering what should I do in order to still pursue my dream of become a doctor. My GPA is 3.1 and BCPM is probably around 2.9. I got a 22 on my first MCAT and retook it and waiting for the results. I will be graduating this summer but don't know what to do after that. I was just wondering if I could get some advice on what to do in order to make sure I don't set myself up for failure and whatever I do, its just moving forward to my career goal.Thanks.

it will be hard for you to get accepted to US MD programs. There are a few DO programs that accept in the low 20s on average, but your GPA is still a little low. They have grade replacement, however, which may help you out in the GPA area. I think aacomas may have a calculator available somewhere.

If possible I would retake a few key courses you are confident you can get an A in to take advantage of that grade replacement - even if it pushes back graduation. An extra year in undergrad isnt that bad and grade replacement makes a huge impact on your GPA. If that is not an option I know that many schools will look at post-bach grades separately as long as they are graduate level. So maybe look into MPH or something like that. The key hurdle for you looks to be GPA, followed by MCAT.
If those don't work you are in good shape to either go to PA school or caribbean MD - but you want to be careful with that and only pursue it if you are 100% confident you can pull yourself up and hang like you need to

maybe reconsider your career choice if you can't pass an undergraduate class on your third attempt?

might save you a few hundred thousand dollars worth of debt...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that if you are determined to become a physician, going the DO route and taking advantage of grade replacement is your best shot. How many classes have you earned a C or lower in? Retaking a good number of these may boost your GPA to a competitive level. Don't retake the MCAT until you are confident you can score in the high 20's (although the higher the better).

And about o chem, consider getting a tutor. Whatever money you spend on a tutor will be much cheaper than having to retake the class again.

The national average MCAT score is a 25, however the average matriculant score in 2011 was a 31. The mean GPA was a 3.6.

One bad grade in Orgo II won't destroy your application. However, unless you have some very strong points elsewhere in your application (ie. amazing volunteering/community service, compelling life story, or have overcome seriously adverse conditions), applying to med school with a 3.1 and a 22 on the MCAT might be a long shot. I would seriously consider DO schools and/or foreign med schools.

Remember, unless money is not an option for you, applying to med school is VERY expensive (and time consuming)! I wouldn't recommend it unless the odds are in your favor. It is an extremely competitive endeavor.

Finally, if you are dead set on getting into medical school, I would recommend postbacc programs after some life experience. Maybe go and get EMT certified, and then get awesome grades in a postbacc program.