Confused about what to study as far as Taxonomy & Kingdoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bobby Fischer

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So Figure 1 on page 42 of the 2011 ADA test specs states:

"...II Diversity of Life: Biological Organization and Relationship of Major Taxa (Five-Kingdom System) (3)

A. Monera
B. Plantae
C. Animalia
D. Protista
E. Fungi
F. Etc."

In my bio textbook and bio lectures we used the 6 kingdom system. Is the essential difference between the 5 and 6 kingdom systems the splitting of the 'monera' down into bacteria and archaea domains?

But then, what is going on with the term domain been replaced by the term 'empire' in the 5 kingdom system (per Wikipedia anyways)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_kingdom_system#Five_kingdoms

I am confident I should plan on going into the test with the neumonic Dumb Kings Play Chess On Fine Green Sand and not something else with 'empire' in it?

Advice?
 
Bump. Anybody?

So Figure 1 on page 42 of the 2011 ADA test specs states:

"...II Diversity of Life: Biological Organization and Relationship of Major Taxa (Five-Kingdom System) (3)

A. Monera
B. Plantae
C. Animalia
D. Protista
E. Fungi
F. Etc."

In my bio textbook and bio lectures we used the 6 kingdom system. Is the essential difference between the 5 and 6 kingdom systems the splitting of the 'monera' down into bacteria and archaea domains?

But then, what is going on with the term domain been replaced by the term 'empire' in the 5 kingdom system (per Wikipedia anyways)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_kingdom_system#Five_kingdoms

I am confident I should plan on going into the test with the neumonic Dumb Kings Play Chess On Fine Green Sand and not something else with 'empire' in it?

Advice?
 
I have never heard of the word "Empire" being used in taxonomy. I would just go with the 3 Domain, 6 Kingdom biological classification scheme.