Confused about which faculty I should I list as my EC contact?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannagotoFlorida!!

Reaction score
I started an art therapy program through a group called Group X at my university soph year. My art therapy program is a branch of Group X, and the kids i work with are part of another international organization for kids with IDD. There is a university faculty member who is in charge of Group X through my university, however, she is not the one that oversaw all my hours and saw me working throughout the years. Group X is student run, but when i work with the kids, there is a member from the organization that has the kids who oversaw my hours.

So technically, the faculty advisor for Group X kind of approved my program summer before sophomore year, but cannot attest to my hours and what not.

The faculty member from the kids organization however, can. I am not sure if i should be giving the contact for the university faculty member who only signed off her approval years ago, or the faculty from the organization that actually oversaw almost 90% of my activity from the program.

Members don't see this ad.

I started an art therapy program through a group called Group X at my university soph year. My art therapy program is a branch of Group X, and the kids i work with are part of another international organization for kids with IDD. There is a university faculty member who is in charge of Group X through my university, however, she is not the one that oversaw all my hours and saw me working throughout the years. Group X is student run, but when i work with the kids, there is a member from the organization that has the kids who oversaw my hours.

So technically, the faculty advisor for Group X kind of approved my program summer before sophomore year, but cannot attest to my hours and what not.

The faculty member from the kids organization however, can. I am not sure if i should be giving the contact for the university faculty member who only signed off her approval years ago, or the faculty from the organization that actually oversaw almost 90% of my activity from the program.
If a med school reaches out to your Contact to verify your involvement, they will be asking about timeframe and hours of involvement. They are not going to ask for a reference. They won't care who the official faculty advisor might be.

You might consider asking the kid's organization member who oversaw you to write an LOR if you want further validation for the activity.

Reactions: 1 user
If a med school reaches out to your Contact to verify your involvement, they will be asking about timeframe and hours of involvement. They are not going to ask for a reference. They won't care who the official faculty advisor might be.

You might consider asking the kid's organization member who oversaw you to write an LOR if you want further validation for the activity.

Got it. So as long as I give the contact that can confirm my hours and timeframe, that should be good for any activity that i have a contact for right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it. So as long as I give the contact that can confirm my hours and timeframe, that should be good for any activity that i have a contact for right?
Yes. Though for the activities of most importance to your candidacy, choosing a more objective person is a good idea, aka, not your mom, yourself, a close friend, etc. Also, it's a good idea to consider reviewing your involvement with that person to be sure you're in agreement, and also informing them that they may be contacted.

Yes. Though for the activities of most importance to your candidacy, choosing a more objective person is a good idea, aka, not your mom, yourself, a close friend, etc. Also, it's a good idea to consider reviewing your involvement with that person to be sure you're in agreement, and also informing them that they may be contacted.

Understood. Im actually going to start reaching out to my contact nows to give time for them to respond so its not last minute. Thank you so much!