Should I contact the school about my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1143552

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone. I just completed an interview at a Jesuit medical school and am concerned about how one of my interviewers treated me. I figured I would post here to get your all's thoughts and if I should maybe contact the school to see if I can get another interview.

I believe the issue is that the person who interviewed me is a priest and I myself am transexual. I know the catholic church hasn't been traditionally accepting of people like me, but I heard that Jesuits are very accepting of all people and I love everything else about the school so I applied.

Since the beginning of the interview I felt that the priest was very confrontational, immediately attacking every portion of my application and questioning my activities almost as if they did not believe anything that I wrote in my application. Then they spent a majority of the interview talking about my transition and my sexuality, asking very detailed and, in my opinion, rude questions. We then got to talking about my family, and they seemed to really judge me for this as well. I do not like stereotyping others, but I really got the feeling that he viewed me and my family as sinners or something of the sort. I felt horrible all throughout but stood my ground and remained very positive and courteous, but I felt that my chances here were doomed. This was until the very end when my interviewer told me that they think I'm a good person and a good mission fit for the school, and proceeded to sell me on the school.

Given my interviewers final comments, do you all believe that maybe it was just their style of interviewing and they wanted to stress me on purpose to see how I would react? Or do you all believe the interviewer was biased and that I should perhaps contact the school about getting another try? If the latter, should I wait until I get rejected or put on a wait list to bring this to their attention?
Honestly, it is what it is, and you have little control over it. Everyone thinks that once you get to the interview, that it is the only thing that matters. Not true. It's one element of many that go into a file and are used to make decisions.

Maybe the priest was subjecting you to a pressure interview to see how you respond. Maybe he couldn't control himself and had his bias on full display, only to pull it back at the end to leave you feeling less bad about the experience. No way for any of us to know. Either way, you could end up with an acceptance if people on the adcom love the rest of your file and advocate for you, even if the interviewer doesn't.

If you are going to contact the school at all, it's now or never, because if you do it later, it will look like sour grapes and go nowhere. Personally, I am not a fan of complaining at all. You are one of many candidates. The priest is a priest who was selected to do interviews. Who is getting the benefit of the doubt here?

I get that you feel desperate, and just want an acceptance. Everyone does, at least until they get their first one. But, given who you are, will you REALLY be comfortable at a school that would send someone like that to do interviews? I'd let it play out, hoping I get an acceptance somewhere else, and going to this school if, and only if, it was my only option. I just don't think complaining is going to get you an acceptance you weren't going to get anyway, even if they appease you with another interview. JMHO. Good luck!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would let the director of admissions know very soon. I'd also say this school is probably not going to be supportive of you. Sorry if that winds up being the case.
Do you think that if the case was just that the interviewer was doing a stress interview and they didn’t have any personal bias against me, that it would look bad and hurt my chances if I bring this up? The school has a very prominent LGBTQ+ initiative, and my first interviewer was very wonderful and we got along great. I love this school mainly because of the location and match list, but also the whole vibe that I got from the school while there was extremely positive minus this one interviewer.

I actually had a chance to leave an anonymous survey after the interview and I put everything as positive because I’m generally the type of person that likes to make everyone happy and not complain. But I guess I should have said something then.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think that if the case was just that the interviewer was doing a stress interview and they didn’t have any personal bias against me, that it would look bad and hurt my chances if I bring this up? The school has a very prominent LGBTQ+ initiative, and my first interviewer was very wonderful and we got along great. I love this school mainly because of the location and match list, but also the whole vibe that I got from the school while there was extremely positive minus this one interviewer.

I actually had a chance to leave an anonymous survey after the interview and I put everything as positive because I’m generally the type of person that likes to make everyone happy and not complain. But I guess I should have said something then.
Does the Interview Feedback Database document instances of pressure interviews? Were you told about this ahead of time so that you could be prepared?

You said,

they spent a majority of the interview talking about my transition and my sexuality, asking very detailed and, in my opinion, rude questions

Sorry, but DEIJ training is required of all who do interviews, and if the pressure interview targeted your gender identity, that is not excusable. If they identified themselves as the LGBTQIA faculty advocate for the medical school, then you would have a different "pressure interview".

It's up to you on whether you want to stand up for yourself. But imagine if this interviewer does this again to another applicant if you didn't report it. If you are saying this is normal interviewing, then chances are this will happen again.

Reactions: 8 users
Sorry, but DEIJ training is required of all who do interviews, and if the pressure interview targeted your gender identity, that is not excusable. If they identified themselves as the LGBTQIA faculty advocate for the medical school, then you would have a different "pressure interview".

It's up to you on whether you want to stand up for yourself. But imagine if this interviewer does this again to another applicant if you didn't report it. If you are saying this is normal interviewing, then chances are this will happen again.
Very true. The question comes down to whether the OP wants to potentially sacrifice their shot at this school to make things better for those who come after.

The priest will surely defend himself if confronted, and the school will probably be in denial at first, so the complaint will likely merely serve to put the school on notice. This will make things better in the future if there are more complaints, but won't help OP at all, unless this isn't the first time and there have already been some complaints. JMHO, but I have never had a positive outcome after complaining, so I don't do it anymore.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Indeed. The only way the system can get rid of bad interviewers is to inform the Admissions Dean

Reactions: 6 users
Indeed. The only way the system can get rid of bad interviewers is to inform the Admissions Dean
Unless the interviewer is so clueless that they express their bias in writing, or verbally at an adcom meeting, on display for all to see.

In general, you are 1,000,000% correct, but there is often no reward for the whistleblower who makes things better for those who follow, so it's not an obvious call for someone without an acceptance who wants one.

While there is no ideal way to broach this topic,I think it is possible to let the Dean know without looking like a total complainer. “While my interview with Fr. X was very in-depth and we discussed all aspects of my application, I was concerned that he focused on (describe the inappropriate personal questions), which could give a trans applicant a negative view of Jesuit University.” Reiterate your overall positive view of the school and your fit with its mission. That is, assuming your goal is to put the Dean on notice that one of his interviewers may be crossing a line, and spare other trans applicants the interrogation.

Reactions: 8 users
Does the Interview Feedback Database document instances of pressure interviews? Were you told about this ahead of time so that you could be prepared?

You said,

One of the interview feedback questions asked if I thought the questions that were asked during the interview were appropriate for assessing the qualities of a successful physician. I did not believe so, but I put “yes” because, even though it’s an “anonymous” survey, I’m sure it’s very easy for them to figure out who gave the feedback given that I’m the only person who interviewed with these two people on that given day. And I was afraid of coming of as a complainer/ negative person and thus ruining my chances at this school.

Edit: and no, the database on SDN for this specific school does not mention anything about stress interviews. Everyone praises the school for being very low stress, and I certainly got that throughout the day and from my other interviewer

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the interview feedback questions asked if I thought the questions that were asked during the interview were appropriate for assessing the qualities of a successful physician. I did not believe so, but I put “yes” because, even though it’s an “anonymous” survey, I’m sure it’s very easy for them to figure out who gave the feedback given that I’m the only person who interviewed with these two people on that given day. And I was afraid of coming of as a complainer/ negative person and thus ruining my chances at this school.

Edit: and no, the database on SDN for this specific school does not mention anything about stress interviews. Everyone praises the school for being very low stress, and I certainly got that throughout the day and from my other interviewer
And the bolded sentence in your quote above brings the question full circle. If you want to go on record, put the school on notice, and hopefully make things better for those who follow you, let the school know what happened. Now, not after you receive a decision. If you are concerned about putting a target on your own back, keep your head down and leave saving the world to someone else.

There is no right answer here. As I said before, I wouldn't be super comfortable at a school that would have someone like that conducting interviews, and it would make me think twice about wanting to attend, assuming I had other options. Maybe wait until you have another acceptance, and then follow @LunaOri's suggestion, once you know you will be going to med school next year no matter what. At that point, you will no longer need the acceptance, and will maybe be given more credibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Very true. The question comes down to whether the OP wants to potentially sacrifice their shot at this school to make things better for those who come after.

The priest will surely defend himself if confronted, and the school will probably be in denial at first, so the complaint will likely merely serve to put the school on notice. This will make things better in the future if there are more complaints, but won't help OP at all, unless this isn't the first time and there have already been some complaints. JMHO, but I have never had a positive outcome after complaining, so I don't do it anymore.
I can't say how many times I had to report a bad interviewer to the admissions chair and the dean due to a similar complaint, but the process did not hurt the applicants. We found a way to reinterview the applicants, and the process moved forward. The interviewer was never asked to interview with us again. The candidates are not blackballed for whistleblowing.

In this day, it is damaging to know we tolerate such behavior in admissions or in our hidden curriculum. This is how inequities become incorporated into the culture of a school, and I would not be surprised if the SJT PREview "correct answer" encourages reporting.

It is an expectation by university administration and peers within the professional societies that all interviewers are trained and calibrated including in diversity issues and unconscious bias. Every interviewer should know that the alleged line of questioning is discriminatory and puts the program in trouble if not corrected internally.

I know my experience may not be the norm at other programs, but I suspect that the raised awareness of diversity and inclusion has put most of us professionals on notice.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
OP you are sending so many mixed signals here. You had a chance to fill out an evaluation truthfully but you didn’t. You love the school,and everything about it except this priest. The school has a very prominent LGBTQ initiative. You don’t like to complain.

YOU have to decide at some point if you want to let someone at the school know of your experience. Currently that’s what it would be. Telling someone about it with no real expectations. If you wait until you are rejected or put on a WL, then it will be complaining or whining. As @Mr.Smile12 said if you report it the school will most likely set up another interview for you. But you should do it soon before the committee considers your application.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I'll add. If you were one of two people the interviewer saw, I don't question why you fill out an anonymous survey the way you did. But you never knew if I knew this interviewer could have been challenging before your interview. We take the process to train interviewers seriously.

Read While You Are Waiting: Processing Health Professions Applications - SDN

I'll add. If you were one of two people the interviewer saw, I don't question why you fill out an anonymous survey the way you did. But you never knew if I knew this interviewer could have been challenging before your interview. We take the process to train interviewers seriously.

Read While You Are Waiting: Processing Health Professions Applications - SDN
TBH, it wouldn't matter how many people the interviewer saw that day, given how specific the complaint is.

You previously said that, in your experience, whistleblowers are not retaliated against. So are you only advocating anonymous complaints that are not identifiable, which can be easily denied by the accused, due to the very nature of an anonymous, non identifiable complaint, or are you advising OP to speak up because the issue is so important, and schools so want to be well represented by everyone involved in the process, that only good can possibly result from reporting?

TBH, it wouldn't matter how many people the interviewer saw that day, given how specific the complaint is.

You previously said that, in your experience, whistleblowers are not retaliated against. So are you only advocating anonymous complaints that are not identifiable, which can be easily denied by the accused, due to the very nature of an anonymous, non identifiable complaint, or are you advising OP to speak up because the issue is so important, and schools so want to be well represented by everyone involved in the process, that only good can possibly result from reporting?
We usually don't use anonymous surveys from interview days for taking corrective actions. I cannot answer for how admissions deans or chairs will act regarding their peers.

I don't know how the admissions staff conveyed support for candidates who might feel they were improperly antagonized to the OP. I would want clarification if this really is the interviewers style and whether this type of questioning is part of training interviewers. If this is something that is only experienced by the OP presumably because of their gender identity, it would look discriminatory and places the program in liability. Not that it would result in a lawsuit but this is not something a VP of Diversity, Equity and inclusion wants to find out about a program's interviewing process.

Reactions: 2 users
I would want to know if one of our interviewers were asking inappropriate questions. Would want to nip that in the bud before our school’s reputation was damaged.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I’m looking at this as a test. The interviewer is setting up a series of tough questions to see your response, your composure because there will be patients you meet who may judge you. Obviously you passed the test since he finished the interview positively. Unless this is your first choice or your last II with a potential A - I would not contact admissions. Remember, composure and professionalism is a key attribute for a successful physician. Good luck - hope you get the A!

Last edited:
Hello everyone. I just completed an interview at a Jesuit medical school and am concerned about how one of my interviewers treated me. I figured I would post here to get your all's thoughts and if I should maybe contact the school to see if I can get another interview.

I believe the issue is that the person who interviewed me is a priest and I myself am transexual. I know the catholic church hasn't been traditionally accepting of people like me, but I heard that Jesuits are very accepting of all people and I love everything else about the school so I applied.

Since the beginning of the interview I felt that the priest was very confrontational, immediately attacking every portion of my application and questioning my activities almost as if they did not believe anything that I wrote in my application. Then they spent a majority of the interview talking about my transition and my sexuality, asking very detailed and, in my opinion, rude questions. We then got to talking about my family, and they seemed to really judge me for this as well. I do not like stereotyping others, but I really got the feeling that he viewed me and my family as sinners or something of the sort. I felt horrible all throughout but stood my ground and remained very positive and courteous, but I felt that my chances here were doomed. This was until the very end when my interviewer told me that they think I'm a good person and a good mission fit for the school, and proceeded to sell me on the school.

Given my interviewers final comments, do you all believe that maybe it was just their style of interviewing and they wanted to stress me on purpose to see how I would react? Or do you all believe the interviewer was biased and that I should perhaps contact the school about getting another try? If the latter, should I wait until I get rejected or put on a wait list to bring this to their attention?
Hey I’m cis but also lgbtq and half of my family is catholic. Most of the men on that side went to the same Jesuit school and many of the women went to various catholic affiliated colleges and universities.

First I want to say that I hear you and this is a really valid concern and important thing to bring up. It’s also unfortunate that this is something you have to worry about.

I do want to say that it is very much within the Jesuit culture to grill people. In my family discussions there is no such thing as an impolite question if it’s in the pursuit of knowledge refining one’s beliefs, whether religious, ethical or anything else.

Obviously only you can say how comfortable you are with this and if you got the sense that those questions crossed a line that’s generally accepted in professional conduct, or your own personal line.

One of the good things is that within this culture, it’s often also considered appropriate to raise your own questions or concerns and hash it out. Rank and hierarchy is an aspect of Catholicism (see: the pope) but the Jesuit education is generally welcoming to a lively debate.

Feel free to PM if you want to discuss anything about being lgbtq in medicine. I know our experiences won’t be the exact same but it’s always nice to connect.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe he was fact finding and thinking of transitioning himself. Your last highlighted sentence make me think you should leave it alone.

Leave it well enough alone. Your story of the events is ambigous. Unless you are 110% sure that it was discrimination, leave it alone. It could've been anything. The interviewer may have wanted you to discuss your struggles and how you overcame them and he was leading you into that aspect of your life so you can showcase your resilience. It may have been that he was actually discriminating against you. It could be anything. Filing a report now will just hurt you and benefit no one. So unless you're 110% sure, leave it alone.