Confused??? How does Amcas calculate gpas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Makeithappen14

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am beyond confused on how AMCAS will calculate my gpa from college. I understand that AMCAS takes all grades into the calculation. However, I was surveying the SDN website and I came across a thread about how AMCAS will calculate gpas. A lot of people were saying that our grades are averaged but what if I took Biochemistry in the Fall and received a F but retook the same course in the Spring and got an A? These are not my actual grades but this is worst case scenario. Will the grade average out to a C or B-? Help!!
 
I am beyond confused on how AMCAS will calculate my gpa from college. I understand that AMCAS takes all grades into the calculation. However, I was surveying the SDN website and I came across a thread about how AMCAS will calculate gpas. A lot of people were saying that our grades are averaged but what if I took Biochemistry in the Fall and received a F but retook the same course in the Spring and got an A? These are not my actual grades but this is worst case scenario. Will the grade average out to a C or B-? Help!!
Both grades will appear. So you would have an F and an A.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not only does an A and an F combine essentially into a 2.0 which is a C, the amount of credits will amount to you essentially getting two C's.

So yes, if you fail a class, best case is that it will essentially calculate into the equivalent of getting two C's when everything is added up.
 
Not only does an A and an F combine essentially into a 2.0 which is a C, the amount of credits will amount to you essentially getting two C's.

So yes, if you fail a class, best case is that it will essentially calculate into the equivalent of getting two C's when everything is added up.

Ouch... that's a good point. Moral of the story: don't fail a class
 
Not only does an A and an F combine essentially into a 2.0 which is a C, the amount of credits will amount to you essentially getting two C's.

So yes, if you fail a class, best case is that it will essentially calculate into the equivalent of getting two C's when everything is added up.

Explain how if I were to get an A and a F in the same course, they will average out to two C's
 
Explain how if I were to get an A and a F in the same course, they will average out to two C's

For one course you got 3 credit hours of 0.0 GPA
For another course (the retake) you get 3 credit hours of 4.0 GPA.

If you add them together over 6 credit hours your average GPA is 2.0. Therefore a 0.0 in one class and a 4.0 in the retake is the same GPA WISE of getting a C (2.0) is both.

(0+4)/2 = 2
(2+2)/2 = 2

EDIT didn't see someone already posted a response, whoops