• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Confused??? How does Amcas calculate gpas

Makeithappen14

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I am beyond confused on how AMCAS will calculate my gpa from college. I understand that AMCAS takes all grades into the calculation. However, I was surveying the SDN website and I came across a thread about how AMCAS will calculate gpas. A lot of people were saying that our grades are averaged but what if I took Biochemistry in the Fall and received a F but retook the same course in the Spring and got an A? These are not my actual grades but this is worst case scenario. Will the grade average out to a C or B-? Help!!

Toutie

2+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2015
  1. Non-Student
I am beyond confused on how AMCAS will calculate my gpa from college. I understand that AMCAS takes all grades into the calculation. However, I was surveying the SDN website and I came across a thread about how AMCAS will calculate gpas. A lot of people were saying that our grades are averaged but what if I took Biochemistry in the Fall and received a F but retook the same course in the Spring and got an A? These are not my actual grades but this is worst case scenario. Will the grade average out to a C or B-? Help!!
Both grades will appear. So you would have an F and an A.

About the Ads

Govols22

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2015
  1. Medical Student
Not only does an A and an F combine essentially into a 2.0 which is a C, the amount of credits will amount to you essentially getting two C's.

So yes, if you fail a class, best case is that it will essentially calculate into the equivalent of getting two C's when everything is added up.

Reactions: 1 user

Cornfed101

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2017
  1. Medical Student
Not only does an A and an F combine essentially into a 2.0 which is a C, the amount of credits will amount to you essentially getting two C's.

So yes, if you fail a class, best case is that it will essentially calculate into the equivalent of getting two C's when everything is added up.

Ouch... that's a good point. Moral of the story: don't fail a class

Reactions: 1 user

Makeithappen14

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical

Explain how if I were to get an A and a F in the same course, they will average out to two C's

Gilakend

7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2012
  1. Medical Student
Explain how if I were to get an A and a F in the same course, they will average out to two C's

For one course you got 3 credit hours of 0.0 GPA
For another course (the retake) you get 3 credit hours of 4.0 GPA.

If you add them together over 6 credit hours your average GPA is 2.0. Therefore a 0.0 in one class and a 4.0 in the retake is the same GPA WISE of getting a C (2.0) is both.

(0+4)/2 = 2
(2+2)/2 = 2

EDIT didn't see someone already posted a response, whoops

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.