Confused on financial aid process!!

Started by Brandie28
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Brandie28

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have never taken a loan out for school so I am little lost right now with the whole process. I am attending Nova and I have filled out my FAFSA and they sent me an e-mail saying I don't qualify for any federal assistance but I might be eligible for stuff through the school. So I e-mailed the school awhile ago and asked what do I do now. They said they have started the financial aid process yet but when they do they will see if I qualify for anything there and send an application to SallieMae. I have yet to hear anything and it is June....should I be applying for private loans now? I am getting nervous not knowing if I will be able to get the money I need to go to school, but I don't know if I have to wait to here from Nova and SallieMae or if I can go on my own and apply for loans? I would greatly appreciate any help with this...its stressing me out not knowing what to do! Thanks!!
 
I have never taken a loan out for school so I am little lost right now with the whole process. I am attending Nova and I have filled out my FAFSA and they sent me an e-mail saying I don't qualify for any federal assistance but I might be eligible for stuff through the school. So I e-mailed the school awhile ago and asked what do I do now. They said they have started the financial aid process yet but when they do they will see if I qualify for anything there and send an application to SallieMae. I have yet to hear anything and it is June....should I be applying for private loans now? I am getting nervous not knowing if I will be able to get the money I need to go to school, but I don't know if I have to wait to here from Nova and SallieMae or if I can go on my own and apply for loans? I would greatly appreciate any help with this...its stressing me out not knowing what to do! Thanks!!

You need to contact the school NOW - Have them explain to you - IN DETAIL - how this process works going forward. The only reason I can think of that you would not qualify for federal loans is if you are not an American citizen - if this is the case, Nova is well equipped to deal with it - they operate one of the few international pharmD programs.

Get on them now - and do not stop until you have a definitive answer. History is littered with the number of great students who could not attend school due to lack of funds.
 
when they say you don't qualify for federal assistance i think it's talking about pell grants. It said pell grants for me under SAR comments, you don't get pell grants past bs degrees. Contact the school for your loan info.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how long it actually takes to hear back for federal loans and to receive. I just completed my fafsa and sent out the signature page. This was done so late b/c i just got accepted into a program. Now how soon will i know if, i will have enough money to pay for school, and if i do qualify, how do they despense it, to the school, or student????
 
I sent my FASFA a few weeks ago and mailed my 1000 check for a deposit. Like phoenician I got the denial of the Pell Grant since its beyond a bachelor's. this doesn't mean I'm getting no aid, but I still have not heard from them about any federal loans. I know you can register for classes on July 7, I just hope I know how much money I can borrow so I can find a place to live.