Confused : PCO Summer Enrichment Program/SUNY alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ny_grl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been informed that my acceptance to PCO is contingent on the successful completion of a summer enrichment program.
Does anyone know anything about it?
What does "successful" mean?

Also I'm on the alternate list for SUNY

and I have been accepted at NECO

Although, PCO is my second option after SUNY, I'm confused if they will or won't give me admission to the school after the summer. Hence I trying to decide on whether to gamble on the pco summer enrichment program or to accept admission at NECO ?

if anyone has any experience about PCO summer program or SUNY alternate lists do reply

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ny_grl said:
I have been informed that my acceptance to PCO is contingent on the successful completion of a summer enrichment program.

Although, PCO is my second option after SUNY, I'm confused if they will or won't give me admission to the school after the summer. Hence I trying to decide on whether to gamble on the pco summer enrichment program or to accept admission at NECO ?

if anyone has any experience about PCO summer program or SUNY alternate lists do reply

Thanks!
Basically you have to complete summer enrichment program. upon completion of this program, admission will be given to you. if you cannot complete it successfully, u will not be admitted.

ppa93 said:
Basically you have to complete summer enrichment program. upon completion of this program, admission will be given to you. if you cannot complete it successfully, u will not be admitted.

yes, but lets say they don't want to take everyone who's in the summer program and they keep a B+ average as sucessful completion of the program, and if I have a B- I won't get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
ny_grl said:
yes, but lets say they don't want to take everyone who's in the summer program and they keep a B+ average as sucessful completion of the program, and if I have a B- I won't get in.

Keep in mind that there are people in the summer enrichment program whose admissions into the college are not contingent on their completion. Some people, like myself, are going because we were asked to, and since I have been out of school since December I am going to go to get myself back into school mode. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was in the TEXOCOP program in UH, and basically if you take the program seriously you can be successful. So in my opinion, if you take the summer enrichment program seriously you will be admitted. If PCO is where you want to go, I say do the program. If you do the program look me up, and we can be successful together :)

S_SEEN2020 said:
Keep in mind that there are people in the summer enrichment program whose admissions into the college are not contingent on their completion. Some people, like myself, are going because we were asked to, and since I have been out of school since December I am going to go to get myself back into school mode. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was in the TEXOCOP program in UH, and basically if you take the program seriously you can be successful. So in my opinion, if you take the summer enrichment program seriously you will be admitted. If PCO is where you want to go, I say do the program. If you do the program look me up, and we can be successful together :)

Absolutely!!, The program gives you a free review of all the first semester courses and gives you free housing, what else is better to ask!!

Free housing?! WHAT!
I want to join it now lol

ny_grl said:

Thanks!

ny_grl, what were your OAT scores like, if you don't mind telling. If not that's ok. I understand :)

Hey there S_Seen2020,
I was curious what you thought of UHCO while you were in the TEXOCOP program, and how come you chose to go to PCO over UHCO for optometry school.

Thanks!

S_SEEN2020 said:

This is sort of a personal question, but to not offend anyone I am going to keep it simple. All of the optometry schools are great (I mean we don't have that many to choose from), but in the end you can only go to one and it boils down to what a person wants out of school. Location was important to me, as well as student body and faculty diversity, and how myself and application were treated before, during and after the application process. PCO appealed to me more when making a decision also, because of the summer enrichment program. I have been out of school since December, and quite honestly I am going out of my mind. With PCO I can "start" school and have something to occupy my time without having to wait until August ;)

canshman said:
Hey there S_Seen2020,
I was curious what you thought of UHCO while you were in the TEXOCOP program, and how come you chose to go to PCO over UHCO for optometry school.

Thanks!

mRNA said:
ny_grl, what were your OAT scores like, if you don't mind telling. If not that's ok. I understand :)

My OAT score TS 340 AA 320

Cumm. GPA 3.3
Sci GPA 3.1

I have been out of school since september 2005.

S_SEEN2020 said:

thanks ! for the feedback guy's

I feel more positive about going to the program.

Also, I was curious about the GPA and OAT scores of those among you who have been accepted to PCO.

ny_grl said:
My OAT score TS 340 AA 320

Cumm. GPA 3.3
Sci GPA 3.1

I have been out of school since september 2005.

wow. i'm suprised they told you that you had to take the summer program with a 340 and 320.

what are you gonna do then? are you going to do the summer program or go to neco? the summer program would be fine if you were 100% sure of being admitted in the fall. otherwise, i'd go to new england if it was me.

ny_grl said:
thanks ! for the feedback guy's

I feel more positive about going to the program.

Also, I was curious about the GPA and OAT scores of those among you who have been accepted to PCO.

My Stats:

Total GPA: 3.05 Prereq GPA:3.45
OAT AA:340 TS:360
UCSB Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
1 year and 3months of eye clinic experience

Interview invitation: ICO, PCO, NECO, NOVA, UCBCO, SCCO, SUNY, SCO
Interviewed: PCO, SUNY, SCO, NOVA, SCCO, UCBCO
Accepted: PCO, SCO, NOVA
Wait-listed: SUNY, SCCO
Rejected: UCBCO

Members don't see this ad :)
mRNA said:
wow. i'm suprised they told you that you had to take the summer program with a 340 and 320.

what are you gonna do then? are you going to do the summer program or go to neco? the summer program would be fine if you were 100% sure of being admitted in the fall. otherwise, i'd go to new england if it was me.

I don't think the summer enrichment program is for people with good or bad marks. If I remember correctly, it's for people that haven't been in school for a while. I guess it's too get them back in the "zone."

The Summer Enrichment Program
The Office of Minority Affairs directs a summer program for minority students and students from disadvantaged backgrounds who have completed the College's prerequisite courses and who have been accepted for admission. This program helps students make the adjustment from an undergraduate experience to professional school in a relaxed atmosphere. The tuition-free, six-week program includes mini-courses in gross anatomy, microanatomy, neuroscience, pathology, biochemistry, physiology, and theoretical optics, as well as clinical observation and study skills.

I agree with ML1983, the summer enrichment program is basically PCO's way to increase retention rates, by giving minorities and people from disadvantaged backgrounds (whether it be financially, or having been out of school a while, etc) early exposure to the first year curriculum in hopes that it will aid in their success at PCO. So they probably are asking ny_grl to go not because your stats are not competitive, but because you have been out of school.

ML1983 said:
I don't think the summer enrichment program is for people with good or bad marks. If I remember correctly, it's for people that haven't been in school for a while. I guess it's too get them back in the "zone."

S_SEEN2020 said:
The Summer Enrichment Program
The Office of Minority Affairs directs a summer program for minority students and students from disadvantaged backgrounds who have completed the College's prerequisite courses and who have been accepted for admission. This program helps students make the adjustment from an undergraduate experience to professional school in a relaxed atmosphere. The tuition-free, six-week program includes mini-courses in gross anatomy, microanatomy, neuroscience, pathology, biochemistry, physiology, and theoretical optics, as well as clinical observation and study skills.

I agree with ML1983, the summer enrichment program is basically PCO's way to increase retention rates, by giving minorities and people from disadvantaged backgrounds (whether it be financially, or having been out of school a while, etc) early exposure to the first year curriculum in hopes that it will aid in their success at PCO. So they probably are asking ny_grl to go not because you stats are competitive, but because you have been out of school.

I am also invited to attend the Summer Enrichment program and I have been out of school for a while. I am a 2003 graduate and I spend a year as a sales manager at a computer programming company and spend another year and half as a quality control chemist at a pharmaceutical company. Recently I got promoted to a lab manager, but I will be quitting my job this coming June to attend the summer program at PCO.

I believe in these 3 years I have gained a lot of experience and get a better understanding of this society and finally realize what I really wanted. Anyways as long you can learn something out of the summer enrichment program, which is free, you have absolutely nothing to lose. I believe if you take the program seriously, there is no way you will fail. I am sure everyone is mature enough to take education seriously.

ML1983 said:

I just heard from someone who took the program last summer,
he/she is saying that only half of the students who attended the program (27)got into PCO that same year, the other half applied again next year.
Also, the program is very rigorous, their Saturday was a 12 hour work day !!
That statement did make me lose some sleep yesterday night !
But anyway I am comming for the program, as no matter where I go, I am going to benefit from the program ( especially since, I had a non-science major- Psychology) But I am also keeping my spot at NECO, since the final fees are due there by Aug 1st and I don't have the strenght to apply again next year if I don't get into PCO!
see you guy's in June.

ML1983 said:

I

I don't think you should be discouraged . . . The TEXOCOP Program was the same way pretty much 6 days a week and we were in class or studying from the butt crack of dawn until it was the butt crack of dawn again, but we had down time. The summer enrichment program is meant to reflect the first year, and may be even harder to keep you on your toes. You are doing a good thing, and I hope all works out for you in the end. See you this summer :)

ny_grl said:
I just heard from someone who took the program last summer,
he/she is saying that only half of the students who attended the program (27)got into PCO that same year, the other half applied again next year.
Also, the program is very rigorous, their Saturday was a 12 hour work day !!
That statement did make me lose some sleep yesterday night !
But anyway I am comming for the program, as no matter where I go, I am going to benefit from the program ( especially since, I had a non-science major- Psychology) But I am also keeping my spot at NECO, since the final fees are due there by Aug 1st and I don't have the strenght to apply again next year if I don't get into PCO!
see you guy's in June.

I've personally been through the summer enrichment program and i must say it was well worth it. I also had to complete the program in order to be accepted in the fall. "Successful" completion varies with every student. They really take eveything into consideration. One thing is true it is a mini boot camp...much harder than TEXOCOP in my opinion (I also took that program)...Just take it serious and they'll see you are really working hard for it. Now about the Saturdays from my experience I thought it was much les hours more like 8 hours...and you spend it in the library studying with study groups and TA's there to help. The courses you see in the summer you'll see that fall with the same teachers that taught you in the summer, so in a sense you'll be a step ahead of the game. About the free housing when I was in the program they gave you a stipend because PCO only paid for some of the rent of the room and you paid the rest but you used part of your stipend for it. So when it comes to it if you want to go to PCO do the program. I hope this helps. :)

I thank you for your help, it is always good to hear from someone who has been through the program(s). My questions are: when does the program usually start, and when should we be receiving more information? Also, is this program like TEXOCOP, in the sense that you must stay in the housing provided, or if I have a place of my own can I live there during the duration of the program?

EYESPCO said:
I've personally been through the summer enrichment program and i must say it was well worth it. I also had to complete the program in order to be accepted in the fall. "Successful" completion varies with every student. They really take eveything into consideration. One thing is true it is a mini boot camp...much harder than TEXOCOP in my opinion (I also took that program)...Just take it serious and they'll see you are really working hard for it. Now about the Saturdays from my experience I thought it was much les hours more like 8 hours...and you spend it in the library studying with study groups and TA's there to help. The courses you see in the summer you'll see that fall with the same teachers that taught you in the summer, so in a sense you'll be a step ahead of the game. About the free housing when I was in the program they gave you a stipend because PCO only paid for some of the rent of the room and you paid the rest but you used part of your stipend for it. So when it comes to it if you want to go to PCO do the program. I hope this helps. :)

The summer enrichment is a very good program.
ny_grl said:

Thanks!

hi i'm new to this. but i was recently invited to do the summer enrichment program as well but it does not guarantee admissions. should i still do it?
i'm assuming i was invited b/c i am a minority and i did extremely bad on my oats (quite embarrassing) and i have yet to retake it. :(

My friend is invited too under the same pretenses. He is going because there may be a tiny bit of hope that he could be admitted, but if not it will definitely help you if you (re)apply for admission next year. I say do it because I have heard nothing but good things, and if you don't have plans for the summer what is it going to hurt to attend (this will also give you a chance to see if PCO is where you want to go).

ldyswtnes said:
hi i'm new to this. but i was recently invited to do the summer enrichment program as well but it does not guarantee admissions. should i still do it?
i'm assuming i was invited b/c i am a minority and i did extremely bad on my oats (quite embarrassing) and i have yet to retake it. :(

S_SEEN2020 said:
My friend is invited too under the same pretenses. He is going because there may be a tiny bit of hope that he could be admitted, but if not it will definitely help you if you (re)apply for admission next year. I say do it because I have heard nothing but good things, and if you don't have plans for the summer what is it going to hurt to attend (this will also give you a chance to see if PCO is where you want to go).

thanks for the feedback yeah but i am actually registered to take summer classes at my undergrad so that i can graduate in the fall with a BS in chemistry so if i were to go to pco for the program i probably wont graduate until the spring. do you know if it would be possible to get an invite again next summer? hoping by then ill improve on my oat scores

after having an interview at pco and nova i've been placed on hold for both schools due to my low oat scores

what would you do if:
your oat scores were bad (below 300) and you havent retaken it yet (b/c waiting for the kaplan course to begin) and the latest they accepts scores is june but you dont feel comfortable taking it so soon b/c you dont want 2 bad scores. [so most likely with scores below 300 you will not get accepted even if you take the summer enrichment program]
and the summer enrichment program interferes with summer classes at your undergrad which you need so that you will graduate in the fall 2006 {if you dont get accepted into opt. school}
options.
1. dont do the summer program at pco and finish up at undergrad get a BS in the fall and study for oats during the spring and apply again next year.
2. go to summer enrichment program and dont graduate from undergrad until spring making it harder to study for oats. unless a miracle happens and somehow you do get accepted into opt school this fall without a BS.

someone please help! :( :oops: :confused:

Knowing your situation I advise you to do #1. You can be invited to the summer enrichment program next summer (because you are a minority) after you are done with school, retaken your OAT, and gotten accepted into optometry school. I chose to graduate earlier, and you can definitely get more done if you get your degree behind your belt. Good Luck :luck:

ldyswtnes said:
after having an interview at pco and nova i've been placed on hold for both schools due to my low oat scores

what would you do if:
your oat scores were bad (below 300) and you havent retaken it yet (b/c waiting for the kaplan course to begin) and the latest they accepts scores is june but you dont feel comfortable taking it so soon b/c you dont want 2 bad scores. [so most likely with scores below 300 you will not get accepted even if you take the summer enrichment program]
and the summer enrichment program interferes with summer classes at your undergrad which you need so that you will graduate in the fall 2006 {if you dont get accepted into opt. school}
options.
1. dont do the summer program at pco and finish up at undergrad get a BS in the fall and study for oats during the spring and apply again next year.
2. go to summer enrichment program and dont graduate from undergrad until spring making it harder to study for oats. unless a miracle happens and somehow you do get accepted into opt school this fall without a BS.

ldyswtnes said:

what would you do if:
options.

Now knowing your situation, it would be wise to get your BS first and if you haven’t, try to volunteer or work at an eye clinic. I am sure after you graduate over the summer, you should have more than enough time to study for the OAT. I would totally suggest Kaplan MCAT prep book; if you have extra cash you can do their OAT class. However, I found Kaplan MACT prep book worked out very well for me, if you spend the time going through every science section you should do above average on Total Science. As for the math section and reading section, you just have to start reading science articles and for the math section I used the GRE prep book.

I wish you good luck with your applications and one more advice: apply early and if you do fairly well on your OAT, apply to as many schools as possible.

Good luck!!!

Pco2010 said:
Now knowing your situation, it would be wise to get your BS first and if you haven’t, try to volunteer or work at an eye clinic. I am sure after you graduate over the summer, you should have more than enough time to study for the OAT. I would totally suggest Kaplan MCAT prep book; if you have extra cash you can do their OAT class. However, I found Kaplan MACT prep book worked out very well for me, if you spend the time going through every science section you should do above average on Total Science. As for the math section and reading section, you just have to start reading science articles and for the math section I used the GRE prep book.

I wish you good luck with your applications and one more advice: apply early and if you do fairly well on your OAT, apply to as many schools as possible.

Good luck!!!

thanks for the advice i will def use it while preparing for the OAT! and i actually have been working at an eye clinic for the past 5 years i jus had a really hard time deciding b/c one dr. said do option 1 and the other option 2 so i was soo confused but thanks again for your helpful insight!

S_SEEN2020 said:
Knowing your situation I advise you to do #1. You can be invited to the summer enrichment program next summer (because you are a minority) after you are done with school, retaken your OAT, and gotten accepted into optometry school. I chose to graduate earlier, and you can definitely get more done if you get your degree behind your belt. Good Luck :luck:

thanks i appreciate all your help!

ny_grl said:

Thanks!

I happened upon this site accidentally and thought I might be of some assistance. I don't know if I'm too late. It seems like you guys have the basics covered. Someone referred to me a student due for SEP this year who was just as curious. I am cutting and pasting the bulk of my email to him. I hope it helps....

Congrats on your acceptance into the summer program. Trust me, it's a good thing to be able to do it. People are taken into the program under different circumstances but, all in all, it's a positive thing. I was a student in the SEP of 2003. The next year, I was a TA for the program. I know what it's like from both sides of the fence.

The classes aim to mimick your first year curriculum. It gives a decent example of what first year is like. They'll brief you on all the details the first day you attend SEP. You'll have 1st yr classes such as: anatomy, physiology, biochem/genetics, optics, pathology, histology, neuroanatomy, etc. It's intense and it goes by fast.

Should you study before SEP to prepare for it? I don't know that you can prepare for it. You can look through books about the topics above at leisure, if you wish. However, I think it's better to enjoy whatever free days you have to relax. You'll be busting your behind in SEP soon enough. If you don't relax now you might risk burning yourself out early in the program. So save that energy and that hunger to learn for when you need it the most.

Only you know what kind of student you are. If you've done very well in undergrad, then you know you're a good student and you should do fine in SEP as long as you work hard. The difficulty level is not beyond that of your undergrad science coursework. What is different is the time you have for the big amount of material you must review. If you work hard, though, you'll be fine.

It might seem corny but all I can really tell you is to do the best you can do. I did just that...one day at a time. I don't know what set of conditions they gave you for participating in SEP. There are several different ways to end up in SEP. I ended up in SEP because I was a last minute applicant with decent OAT scores but a gap in my school years (got bachelor's in 2000). They thought I should do SEP but Dean Horne made me no promises. All I was told was that, if I did well, my candidacy would be strengthened for that year or for future application processes. Whether or not I did well, I was in limbo.

I guess there isn't much suspense. You know how my story ends. I did well and they had extra space in the class of 2007. So I got in. From what I've seen, even those that didn't get in the same year...if they busted their butt in SEP, I'd see them in future classes. So, being in SEP is a good thing if you just do your best and get decent grades. Obviously, if you get F's in SEP they'll suggest you re-think your career options. SEP gives a very good idea of how you'll do in the real classes. You can't have anything lower than a 2.0 (C) at PCO. You fail if you fall below that. So, it makes sense that you'll be a risky prospect if you score as low or lower than that in SEP.

So there you have it. That's all you really need to know for now. You should rest and get ready to work hard. Shoot for A's just because you might end up with a grade lower than what you go for. So, you don't want to shoot for B's and end up with C's. C's aren't the end of the world. It all depends on how many seats are available in 2006 (Class of 2010). But C's will make you a risky investment and they'd rather take A and B students over C students. Makes sense, right? Besides, it's for your own sake too. If you're not ready for optometry school yet, you don't want to borrow $50K for the first year and then have to repeat it. I've seen it happen. It happens every year. People fail (several students every year).

Reactions: 1 user
ny_grl said:

Thanks!

Oh no! I'm sorry everyone. I just remembered that it seems like SEP usually starts on Father's Day for some odd reason. So.... I guess I was too late with the info. Well, maybe for those interested in next year? To those of you that decided to go with SEP...good for you. Good luck to everyone with their optometric careers. It's a great profession!

jB007 said:
It's a great profession!

Can you tell us why you think it is? It is worth dumping 150k loans on it? More if you're heading to Cali or Boston.