Confused: Pre-Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SunnySang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Im starting college in the fall at a local CC with plans to transfer to UC (specifically Davis). I am very set on pursuing the dental field. I am planing on starting to shadow dentist in the fall and start studying for the DAT.
What im confused about is what exactly is pre-dental? I had the thinking that in order to get into say ucsf, i would need a bio major from davis so when i made a plan with the CC counselor maping out the classes i would take at CC, it was for a transfer to davis and graduating davis with a bio major and with dental school in mind? Is that right? Are there classes for dental school i should be taking at davis that i should plan for/have in mind?

Is there anyone who went from a CC to UC to Dental school that can describe their experience and what to look out for.

thanks,

sunny

Members don't see this ad.

What you major in is not so important but getting the D-school pre-reqs done is. To save time and money I would recommend picking a degree in the sciences (Bio, Chem, Health Science,etc) that incorporates the D-school pre-reqs. The school that I am applying to states that you should under no circumstances transfer more than 60 CC credits to a university. So just take your basic b.s. classes at the CC and save the heavier stuff for the university. This will save you money, I hope this helped

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Im starting college in the fall at a local CC with plans to transfer to UC (specifically Davis). I am very set on pursuing the dental field. I am planing on starting to shadow dentist in the fall and start studying for the DAT.
What im confused about is what exactly is pre-dental? I had the thinking that in order to get into say ucsf, i would need a bio major from davis so when i made a plan with the CC counselor maping out the classes i would take at CC, it was for a transfer to davis and graduating davis with a bio major and with dental school in mind? Is that right? Are there classes for dental school i should be taking at davis that i should plan for/have in mind?

Is there anyone who went from a CC to UC to Dental school that can describe their experience and what to look out for.

thanks,

sunny
I think your primary focus should be maintaining decent grades at CC, which allow you to transfer to UC Davis.
When you're in then you can pretty much major in anything and still be able to apply for dental school, provided that you complete their prerequisites.
Do I recommend majoring in a non-science field and then applying to Dental School?
No!
Why?
Maintaining a high GPA throughout your undergrad years is crucial. Majoring in a non-science field and trying to complete all the prerequisites for dental school will leave you with a horrendous schedule, which will most likely have a negative impact on your GPA. I know this, because I had a friend at UCLA who was a History major and was trying to complete the prerequisites for medical school. The end result?
Not a very impressive GPA which severely hindered her chances of getting admission into medical school.
Furthermore, by becoming a biology major, you'll have much more exposure to science courses like (Biochem, physiology, histology, anatomy, ecology, etc.) and this will help you greatly with your DAT. Some say completing the minimum requirements is sufficient to do well on the DAT. I'm not one of those people. I think to do well on the DAT one needs to have a strong science background and that strong background can only be acquired by being a science major.
Also, remember that this is a gradual process and you need to complete each step to the best of your abilities.
You've barely started this process and you're taking the first step by going to CC. Don't stress out too much about the challenges that you'll be facing 5 years from now. You can worry about extra curricular activities, shadowing a dentist, doing well on the DAT and all that when the time comes.

Good Luck:thumbup:

dang im so glad i posted. Thanks for the heads up on the doc toothache thread. Im currently planned for 72 CC credits... I guess i need to go back and re-plan everything.

What you major in is not so important but getting the D-school pre-reqs done is. To save time and money I would recommend picking a degree in the sciences (Bio, Chem, Health Science,etc) that incorporates the D-school pre-reqs. The school that I am applying to states that you should under no circumstances transfer more than 60 CC credits to a university. So just take your basic b.s. classes at the CC and save the heavier stuff for the university. This will save you money, I hope this helped
This is true! Most schools have rules and regulations regarding the number of CC credits that you can transfer. However, more than often they'll willing to bend those rules if they consider you an exceptional applicant.
Obviously, if you have done great in CC, in a 4 year school, and on your DAT there shouldn't be any doubt for anyone that you're a student with an exceptional academic background. So, whether you have completed these units at CC or a 4 year institution shouldn't matter much as long you have demonstrated a consistently above the average performance in your classes.

dang im so glad i posted. Thanks for the heads up on the doc toothache thread. Im currently planned for 72 CC credits... I guess i need to go back and re-plan everything.

pick a major that will let you transfer with minimal science classes. In a UC you can take more of the science-concentrated classes. Dental schools want you to take the majority of your science classes at a 4-year. Also You CAN transfer 72 CC credits but make sure to follow the first sentence. You will need a minimum of CC credits to transfer to a UC, so make sure you have ENOUGH units to transfer int eh first place. I went to CC, then to UCLA, and got into a dental school. Hope this helps.

remember to use assist.org to see what credits are transferable. good luck!

yeah ive chosen to go for a biology major at UC Davis. Thats what all my CC classes are set for. But thats right, the reason i have 72 is so that i can be in accordance to the transfer. I just hope i do good at CC and UCD so all of this ends up being irrelevant.
So would this make sense, say i apply to dental school that limits to 60 creds from a CC, but i have 72 cc creds. could i still apply but neglect 12 creds? Some classes i have to take to transfer like next school year in the spring, im taking film which is three credits and i have to take in order to transfer (not the class, but necessary elective/gen ed wise).

I'm a UC Davis grad '07. They have (had when i graduated, not sure if it's different now) 8 "pre-med" majors which also satisfy the pre-dent pre-reqs. They are all related in that they have the same core curriculum, but each goes in it's own direction with the upper div. classes. For example you could do Biology, biochemistry, neurophysiology/physiological/behavioral (mine), exercise bio, plant bio, etc. can't remember all of them. You could call up the health advising services at Davis and talk with Debbie about what your goals should be at this point. Keep in mind, as another poster mentioned you could major in anything you want as all as you finish all the prerequisites.

I think your primary focus should be maintaining decent grades at CC, which allow you to transfer to UC Davis.
When you're in then you can pretty much major in anything and still be able to apply for dental school, provided that you complete their prerequisites.
Do I recommend majoring in a non-science field and then applying to Dental School?
No!
Why?
Maintaining a high GPA throughout your undergrad years is crucial. Majoring in a non-science field and trying to complete all the prerequisites for dental school will leave you with a horrendous schedule, which will most likely have a negative impact on your GPA. I know this, because I had a friend at UCLA who was a History major and was trying to complete the prerequisites for medical school. The end result?
Not a very impressive GPA which severely hindered her chances of getting admission into medical school.
Furthermore, by becoming a biology major, you'll have much more exposure to science courses like (Biochem, physiology, histology, anatomy, ecology, etc.) and this will help you greatly with your DAT. Some say completing the minimum requirements is sufficient to do well on the DAT. I'm not one of those people. I think to do well on the DAT one needs to have a strong science background and that strong background can only be acquired by being a science major.
Also, remember that this is a gradual process and you need to complete each step to the best of your abilities.
You've barely started this process and you're taking the first step by going to CC. Don't stress out too much about the challenges that you'll be facing 5 years from now. You can worry about extra curricular activities, shadowing a dentist, doing well on the DAT and all that when the time comes.

Good Luck:thumbup:

This is true! Most schools have rules and regulations regarding the number of CC credits that you can transfer. However, more than often they'll willing to bend those rules if they consider you an exceptional applicant.
Obviously, if you have done great in CC, in a 4 year school, and on your DAT there shouldn't be any doubt for anyone that you're a student with an exceptional academic background. So, whether you have completed these units at CC or a 4 year institution shouldn't matter much as long you have demonstrated a consistently above the average performance in your classes.

everything you say is so blue and so long!!!!!!

I will stand up of nze82
Blue: clearly the best color of all time. need proof....just look at the color scheme of sdn. Also blue is nze82's favorite color.
Long: yes... he/she is very helpful.