Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Confused primary apps - submitting without an MCAT score

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by GoodGuyGregory, 05.17.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. GoodGuyGregory

GoodGuyGregory

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

So I'll be doing my first (and only) MCAT May 31. Scores should come out July 1.

I've read around and it's apparent that I should submit the primaries for verification as soon as it opens. What I don't get is why some are given the advice to only check one medical school in the primary.

What is the harm in selecting all the schools that I am interested in right away? If I do this, won't I get my secondary applications quicker for those schools?

Thank you in advance!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. trino

trino 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    If your MCAT score is not in the range of these schools then checking them is a waste of $35ish dollars each. Make sure your MCAT score is ok, then add the schools that same day. Believe me, it won't hurt you as schools won't send you secondaries without the MCAT anyway. If you want to get a head start, prewrite the essays for the schools your interested in. That will save you far more time

GoodGuyGregory likes this.
  4. Fedxup

Fedxup 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    But if you do bad on you MCAT your application will be sent to all the schools you selected.

GoodGuyGregory and gyngyn like this.
  5. ciestar

ciestar 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    And if your mcat is bad enough you don't get in anywhere, you'd be a reapplicant. That's why you only pick one.

6. Heplayer92

Heplayer92 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    GoodGuyGregory, tonymarc and gyngyn like this.
  7. orangeman25

orangeman25 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
  8. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Really depends on the school. Some schools send one to you as soon as you submit your primary. Others might take months before deciding to send one to you.

9. orangeman25

orangeman25 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know but I mean for people looking to pre write secondaries, do you know when the prompts are generally posted on SDN?

10. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just look in the school specific thread. They don't change for the most part from year to year.

mrh125 likes this.
  11. GoodGuyGregory

GoodGuyGregory

Pre-Medical
    Thanks all!

For some reason I thought that some schools sent out secondaries w/o MCAT scores but I guess I'm incorrect on that?

About the ads