Confusing AMCAS stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riceman04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what 4-1-4/4-4-1 Calendar Summer Session (Summer) mean?

Study Abroad question:

I studied abroad in England via a U.S. sponsored program (Arcadia Univ) that my home institution (Rice) uses. I know for sure that I only have to list the courses one time under the University where I studied while in England and then just send in the transcript from Arcadia. However, the problem is that some of the courses are no longer offered at that university and I do not know the course numbers. What should I do?

Also after bombing 1st semester freshman gen chem (yeah...a C) at my home institution I decided to retake the same course while at home in Los Angeles. Do I still list the course taken while home as "repeated?"

Thanks in advance

Thanks for your help in advance

Members don't see this ad.

For the study abroad grades - get an unofficial copy of your transcript and get the course numbers from there. Your home school transcript should have them on there if they were transfered in.
For gen chem - yes, you have to add it as repeated.

For the study abroad grades - get an unofficial copy of your transcript and get the course numbers from there. Your home school transcript should have them on there if they were transfered in.
For gen chem - yes, you have to add it as repeated.

Thanks for the info...but the only problem is that the actual course numbers don't show on my home school's transcript.

The courses only show up as: BIOS 3XX "Approved Transfer Credit"

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you tried contacting Arcadia directly and asking their admissions office? Other students, I'm certain, took those same classes and also have had to submit them for graduate schools--there must be SOME existing record of the original course numbers and values. If there really isn't--if Arcadia has no way of telling you what the course numbers were, then give AMCAS a call and explain the situation to one of their advisors. Alternately, if you have a premed advisor or committee, ask their advice on how to submit the courses.

Just wondering...if the number does not show up on the transcript you will be submitting, why does AMCAS care that you enter it in the app? The main purpose is for verification, right? Since diff. schools have diff. numbering systems anyway.

Can you not get a transcript directly from the England school?