Confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychedoc2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
This is the second time I'm writing this because my first post got erased. Anyways, I have been diagnosed with affective disorder with psychotic features because my doctors finally figured out that with depression I was having psychotic symptoms. My diagnosis has changed from schizophrenia, schizoaffective, to bipolar. I'm a bit confused myself about these diagnosis changes. I was on a combo of antipsychotics and antidepressants and changing my doses with each all of the time. I could not figure out what symptom was being caused by my illness or by the meds. This was until I was put on a mood stablizer. I now don't hear any voices because I don't get depressed. It makes me mad that psychiatrists give arbitrary labels to patients without knowing if they are correct. I suffered alot more from being labeled by my diagnosis than the illness sometimes. I have an interview coming up and am prepared to answer their nosy little question about my illness. My marriage also helps me to remain stable. I feel great these days even though in the past I did not. My wish is that psychiatrists carefully document their patients' sessions because my past psychiatrist never kept any thorough records which made matters even worse. It's great that the mood stabilizer does me wonders. But, I just wonder if I could have done better in medical school if I had been put on it sooner. Oh well. Nothing can be done about it now. I hope my post here helps future psychiatrists. I have learned about this myself. BTW, I was thought to be bipolar type 2 because I was thought to be hypomanic at times. The mood stabilizer has helped this too. I just know my mood stabilizer keeps my illness in check. I am on low dose and my current doctor is thinking of discontinuing my other meds and raising the dose of my mood stabilizer. Please wish me well. I wish others well on their interviews. I am worried that some of my medical records report that I have schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. I am quite happy. I could care less about my past interviews in which the interviewers gave me a hard time because of my diagnosis. Pooh pooh to them!

psychedoc2b

Members don't see this ad.

Why would this topic necessarily come up in an interview?

psychedoc2b said:
Hi,
This is the second time I'm writing this because my first post got erased. Anyways, I have been diagnosed with affective disorder with psychotic features because my doctors finally figured out that with depression I was having psychotic symptoms. My diagnosis has changed from schizophrenia, schizoaffective, to bipolar. I'm a bit confused myself about these diagnosis changes. I was on a combo of antipsychotics and antidepressants and changing my doses with each all of the time. I could not figure out what symptom was being caused by my illness or by the meds. This was until I was put on a mood stablizer. I now don't hear any voices because I don't get depressed. It makes me mad that psychiatrists give arbitrary labels to patients without knowing if they are correct. I suffered alot more from being labeled by my diagnosis than the illness sometimes. I have an interview coming up and am prepared to answer their nosy little question about my illness. My marriage also helps me to remain stable. I feel great these days even though in the past I did not. My wish is that psychiatrists carefully document their patients' sessions because my past psychiatrist never kept any thorough records which made matters even worse. It's great that the mood stabilizer does me wonders. But, I just wonder if I could have done better in medical school if I had been put on it sooner. Oh well. Nothing can be done about it now. I hope my post here helps future psychiatrists. I have learned about this myself. BTW, I was thought to be bipolar type 2 because I was thought to be hypomanic at times. The mood stabilizer has helped this too. I just know my mood stabilizer keeps my illness in check. I am on low dose and my current doctor is thinking of discontinuing my other meds and raising the dose of my mood stabilizer. Please wish me well. I wish others well on their interviews. I am worried that some of my medical records report that I have schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. I am quite happy. I could care less about my past interviews in which the interviewers gave me a hard time because of my diagnosis. Pooh pooh to them!

psychedoc2b

Thats a really amazing story. Guess SDN can be pretty educational at times.

Good luck for ur interviews...!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
psych101 said:
Why would this topic necessarily come up in an interview?

I have some absences in my academic record because of my illness. Heck, when I was in medical school, I truly believed I was seriously mentally ill. But, I realize now that my meds were not working for me. Like I said, I wish I was put on a mood stablizer sooner because I believe I would not have any breaks in my academic record.

psychedoc2b

Well, good luck, and I'm glad you found the right meds!

Hi Psychdoc!

I just wanted to respond with a bit of interesting information I was discussing on my interview trail. I can imagine how detrimental carrying a diagnosis of schizophrenia would be or even schizoaffective d/o - but if you start getting hassled over it, perhaps you could explain to them that a lot of new theories are coming out that hypothesize that we keep labeling a lot of d/o's as schizophrenia when in reality they may be down a whole different spectrum of d/o we haven't even discovered yet. Theres plenty of research being done in this field re: genomic studies, sibling studies, etc.

A lot of the institutions that are doing research argue that there are multiple d/o that can present like schizophrenia but are not. So maybe you can rebuttle them a bit with that information.

I'm sorry for the hard time you've gotten in the past and I really do wish you all the best.

Take Care,
Poety

Poety said:
Hi Psychdoc!

I just wanted to respond with a bit of interesting information I was discussing on my interview trail. I can imagine how detrimental carrying a diagnosis of schizophrenia would be or even schizoaffective d/o - but if you start getting hassled over it, perhaps you could explain to them that a lot of new theories are coming out that hypothesize that we keep labeling a lot of d/o's as schizophrenia when in reality they may be down a whole different spectrum of d/o we haven't even discovered yet. Theres plenty of research being done in this field re: genomic studies, sibling studies, etc.

A lot of the institutions that are doing research argue that there are multiple d/o that can present like schizophrenia but are not. So maybe you can rebuttle them a bit with that information.

I'm sorry for the hard time you've gotten in the past and I really do wish you all the best.

Take Care,
Poety

Hi,

I went to another interview and told the truth. It was well received. I feel a whole lot better now.

psychedoc2b