Congrats everyone! Where are you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivyleague22ny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Long time reader, first time "poster" of the PM&R threads. After months of applying, interviewing, and the dreaded "wait," I just wanted to congratulate everyone who matched today into one of the greatest specialties and best-kept secret in medicine in my biased opinion: PM&R. :love: Just wanted to see where everyone will be at and your thoughts. (plus if there's anyone out there who also matched at Jefferson for PM&R).

I'm totally xiked that I matched at THOMAS JEFFERSON UNIVERSITY for advanced PM&R.

What I liked:
1. REPUTATION: The program is affiliated with 3 great Rehab Hospitals (Moss Rehab, Thomas Jefferson Rehab, and Magee Rehab) that are all ranked in the US News top 20 nationally, as well as the Rothman Institute, which is a premiere Orthopedic/Musculoskeletal Center in Philly.
(source is http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/rankings/specrepreha.htm)
2. TEACHING: During my 2nd look, I appreciated how the attendings have daily one on one teaching rounds with just 1 student and I felt they were definitely dedicated to ensuring that their residents learn the material really well, without being malignant about it. Plus plenty of opportunities to learn all the injections, EMGs, and interventional procedures that we budding physiatrist all love to do.
3. RESEARCH: Since the PD significantly decreased the amount of time residents spend working on wards, Jefferson residents have been able to focus on enhancing their research experience, and are able to not only present their research at national conferences, but also win awards for it.
4. RESIDENTS: Sharp bunch of residents, yet they all seem like cool cats that I could definitely gel with and I could totally see myself hanging out with them outside of work. Also I like the varied interests among the residents: pain, performing arts medicine (a favorite of mine), sports, and spine. Also I reallly appreciate the kind phone calls from the residents before your interview to make sure you feel at home.
5. LOCATION: I've lived in the Cali, NYC, MN, and definitely ready to experience the Philly Soul.;-). The program is located in the classy chic and safe Center City area of Philly, where's there's lot of tendy bars/restaurants shops within walking distance, cost-of-living is much cheaper than NYC, residents are able to afford to buy property, and the city is only 2 hours away from NYC to the north and Washington DC/Baltimore to the south.
Plus there's 2 other great rehab programs in the area (Temple, UPenn) and I like how the residents from all 3 programs meet with each other occasionally for city-wide conference.
6. AFTER RESIDENCY: Residents are able to match in prestigious fellowships in pain, spine, and sports nationwide.

Congrats again to everyone and if feel free to PM me if you'll be doing PM&R in Philly (Temple, UPenn, or Jefferson) or even if you just want to say hi and ask any questions of my application experience. It'll be great to meet my other future colleagues in PM&R! :)

Members don't see this ad.

oh yea, plus the Philly chinatown was where they invented those tasty "cream cheese wantons" and definitely life wouldn't be the same without those! :thumbup:

Welcome to the family. Feel free to contact me.

adam