Congrats to GWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruralmd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GWU School of Medicine and Health Sciences LCME Accreditation Statement

Oct. 15, 2008

The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences completed earlier this month its accreditation process which reviewed the program leading to the MD degree.

As a result of the review, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) placed the program on probationary status. All School programs remain fully accredited during the probationary period.

The School is already developing an action plan to correct the noted areas that did not meet the LCME's standards including curriculum management, lounge and study space for students, and internal administrative processes. The School has up to 24 months to address these issues and plans to complete its work within the academic year.

The School is committed to academic excellence and to providing a superior education for its medical students. The LCME commended the School for providing students with a strong educational experience and for its instructional expertise and diverse student body. Nevertheless, the School readily accepts the need to remedy the LCME's concerns and will work promptly and diligently to do so.

The LCME is the nationally recognized accrediting authority for medical education programs leading to the MD degree in U.S. and Canadian medical schools. All medical schools must undergo review every eight years to be accredited by the LCME through the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the American Medical Association (AMA).

For more information, please send an email to:
[email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

LCME Contact Information:
Dan Hunt, MD, MBA
LCME Secretary
Association of American Medical Colleges
2450 N Street NW, Washington, DC 20037
Phone: (202) 828-0596

Barbara Barzansky, PhD
LCME Secretary
Council on Medical Education
American Medical Association
515 North State Street, Chicago, Illinois 60610
Phone: (312) 464-4933

FYI:

This stinks for their students

Members don't see this ad.

All School programs remain fully accredited during the probationary period.

(The sky is falling!)

Read articles thoroughly -
Read personal statements madly -

"All School programs remain fully accredited during the probationary period."

Read that statement from the release you posted. Now read your thread title.

Members don't see this ad :)

a) Why did you title your post "GWU College of Medicine loses accreditation? They're only on probation. That's happened to other well known med schools, and they've recovered.

b) It doesn't stink for their students. Their students aren't affected by this, and it doesn't make their degrees worth any less.

b) It doesn't stink for their students. Their students aren't affected by this...

Myself and my $200,000 debt (so far) beg to differ.

Still, I'm sure the administration will sort it out in the end. At least the problems are with the bureaucratic end, not the actual medical education part. Hopefully it will be a quick fix. I still can't believe it though. They've been turning out MD's since what, 1821?

a) Why did you title your post "GWU College of Medicine loses accreditation? They're only on probation. That's happened to other well known med schools, and they've recovered.

b) It doesn't stink for their students. Their students aren't affected by this, and it doesn't make their degrees worth any less.

Because this is how the article was titled....

Just giving the information

And it does affect the students and everyone at that institution because there is a possibly that GWU College of Medicine will not be able to give LCME accredited degrees.I'm quite sure if you went to an institution that could potentially lose it's accreditation you would want to know. No matter the "name" its still an issue.

Oh snap! Does anyone have any further details? What is the reaction at the school?

Yes, this does suck for the students there, because technically while they will not be "affected", it tarnishes the reputation of the school which has subtle effects that are hard to quantify.

Actually I think it's good for the students. It looks like they're going to get some addition lounge and study areas around school.

Actually I think it's good for the students. It looks like they're going to get some addition lounge and study areas around school.

No medical school put on probation by the LCME has ever lost its accreditation(in the US for sure). Aside from apparently getting more study space, nobody is ever going to notice the changes that are going to happen to make the LCME happy, which is ultimately the most perplexing part of it.

GWU School of Medicine and Health Sciences LCME Accreditation Statement

Oct. 15, 2008

The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences completed earlier this month its accreditation process which reviewed the program leading to the MD degree.

As a result of the review, the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) placed the program on probationary status. All School programs remain fully accredited during the probationary period.

The School is already developing an action plan to correct the noted areas that did not meet the LCME's standards including curriculum management, lounge and study space for students, and internal administrative processes. The School has up to 24 months to address these issues and plans to complete its work within the academic year.

The School is committed to academic excellence and to providing a superior education for its medical students. The LCME commended the School for providing students with a strong educational experience and for its instructional expertise and diverse student body. Nevertheless, the School readily accepts the need to remedy the LCME's concerns and will work promptly and diligently to do so.

The LCME is the nationally recognized accrediting authority for medical education programs leading to the MD degree in U.S. and Canadian medical schools. All medical schools must undergo review every eight years to be accredited by the LCME through the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) and the American Medical Association (AMA).

For more information, please send an email to:
[email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

LCME Contact Information:
Dan Hunt, MD, MBA
LCME Secretary
Association of American Medical Colleges
2450 N Street NW, Washington, DC 20037
Phone: (202) 828-0596

Barbara Barzansky, PhD
LCME Secretary
Council on Medical Education
American Medical Association
515 North State Street, Chicago, Illinois 60610
Phone: (312) 464-4933

FYI:

That's for rejecting me, GWU:smuggrin::smuggrin:, karma's a biatch

What other schools has this happened to? In the event that they fail their probation what happens?

No medical school put on probation by the LCME has ever lost its accreditation(in the US for sure). Aside from apparently getting more study space, nobody is ever going to notice the changes that are going to happen to make the LCME happy, which is ultimately the most perplexing part of it.

I was concerned about accreditation as well. Is there a way you know that no school in the US has lost its accreditation after being on probation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea... you were only one of 9000 students to be rejected! nothing personal!

After taking the application fees from 9000 students, they still somehow manage to be put on probation. Where's all that money going to? :D

My understanding was that being put on probation is a fairly rare occurrence, but what do I know? It sounded like it was paper-pushing kind of crap, mostly, which makes me think it could happen to just about any school if their curriculum dept. was a bit off their game (Oh, yeah, we left the course objectives off the syllabus, oops).

I would be annoyed if my school got put on probation, mostly because it will likely make them more anal about paperwork, and I expect, for the quantity of money I'm throwing into medical education, for people to do their jobs well enough to not get put on probation.

Someone name a medical schoool that isn't "well known".

Someone name a medical schoool that isn't "well known".
"Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now, you stupid ****ing bastard!"

I would have preferred you use the running naked with sneakers and a chainsaw pic, personally. But not bad.

After taking the application fees from 9000 students, they still somehow manage to be put on probation. Where's all that money going to? :D

:laugh: True.

The way it was put to us here (not at GW) was that the reason they were placed on probation is because they did not address these issues the last time they were warned by LCME about them.

But "curriculum management", whatever that is, isn't a facilities issue.

"Try getting a reservation at Dorsia now, you stupid ****ing bastard!"

I would have preferred you use the running naked with sneakers and a chainsaw pic, personally. But not bad.

:laugh:

What other schools has this happened to? In the event that they fail their probation what happens?

Rosalind Franklin, Temple, University of Saskatchewan as per the GW Hatchet.

For being taken off probation and receiving a full 8-year extension for accreditation.

:thumbup:

has anyone ever read any of john kastors work?

do other schools besides the DC ones not own their own hospital? any thoughts on this. my library can get his book, i think i am going to read it.

They rejected me while they were on probation... Beat that.

Boo. They shouldn't have been on probation in the first place.

has anyone ever read any of john kastors work?

do other schools besides the DC ones not own their own hospital? any thoughts on this. my library can get his book, i think i am going to read it.

my question still stands, please

I'm going to get an invite soon, I feel it in my bones.