conj acid and base

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

113zami

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) stronger acids have weak conjugate bases and strong bases have weak conjugate acids....(i understand that part).... but weak acids can have strong or weak conjugate bases. why??
can you explain or give and example as to why that last part is true?

2) why is the bond between HF stronger than the bonds between HBr, HCl, HI??

3) do we need to know anything about equivalence point indicators for the gchem section?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

not one comment!!,:(
please help me out guys, I really need help, thanks alot

1) stronger acids have weak conjugate bases and strong bases have weak conjugate acids....(i understand that part).... but weak acids can have strong or weak conjugate bases. why??

3) do we need to know anything about equivalence point indicators for the gchem section?

thanks in advance

1) see any general chemistry textbook

2) Because of bond strength. Bond strength is inversely proportional to size for halo acids. Larger halogen...weaker bond...

3) yes you do need to know this. see past threads and again...consult ANY general chemistry textbook.

thanks in advance

For 1 --> The weaker the acid, the stronger the conjugate base. However, it doesn't mean that the conjugate base is a strong base - it's just a stronger base than water.

For 2 --> Sticking with the acid base theme, the strongest acidic elements are those in the lower right hand corner of the periodic table. So, HI is a stronger acid than HF. You can deduce bond strength of the halide with H by it's relative acidity.

For 3 --> I know it's cliched, but know it all. No sense in skipping anything if you're going to devote a good amount of time anyhow.