Connecticut 3% tax on doctor revenue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

group_theory

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!'
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.courant.com/news/politic...237386.story?coll=hc-headlines-politics-state

Some passages from the above article:

[With state lawmakers considering a 3 percent tax on doctors' revenues to help pay for universal health care, the gray-haired country doctor from East Haddam cleared his appointments Tuesday morning and drove to the Capitol to save his job.]

and

["Taxing doctors for doing our work makes no more sense than taxing teachers to fund public education, taxing firemen for fighting fires or taxing policemen or lawyers or pharmacist or anyone else for what they do," Gourlie said. "Taxing doctors to fund health care for the underserved is not the solution, and it will result in less care for everybody."]

AND

["I am working harder, putting in longer hours, seeing my family less only to see my after tax income decline," Foley said. "And now you want me to give the state 3 percent of my revenue, this in addition to the taxes I already pay on my income. ... A 3 percent tax would cripple my business."]

Members don't see this ad.

YAY!!! Finally, a state with a brain... hehehe.. So i guess they tax us, and we make people pay more to visit, so basically.. indirectly increase taxes of people in general to pay for universal healthcare.

*Stupid state* I wonder if you can add the tax to the copay...

Members don't see this ad :)
That's the fastest way to achieve a totally equal healthcare system. Every doc will leave the state and everyone will have equal care.

And that's probably what would have happened in there if they actually went through with the tax.

I'm ashamed to say that I received any medical training in that state.

I humbly submit that the legislators be given an additional 3% hike in their taxes to fund the cost of their constituents who aren't able to afford as nice of housing as they are. Isn't the right to shelter just as if not more important than the "right" to health care?

I hereby move that we put a 10% tax on all legislators to fund improvements to the capital, and I think a 10% tax on attorneys for criminals who can't afford an attorney should also be in the works.

It makes no sense to tax just doctors for universal healthcare. Why don't they introduce a new tax all members of society? Oh I get it, it's politically unpopular. :thumbdown:

That said I hate universal healthcare, and I don't think it should pass in any form.

You know if we just put a 100% tax on doctors we won't have to pay for health care at all. Why this has not occurred to any legislator yet is beyond me.

17.9 million adults age 18-34 are without health insurance, accounting for 41% of those uninsured.

Most of them, when they consider the costs and what they'll have to give up, choose not to buy it," Nichols said. "They're betting against the probability that a very bad event happens to them." - Dallas Morning News (Nov 14, 2003)
http://www.easternecho.com/cgi-bin/story.cgi?1227

So I guess its up to the doctors of CT to help pay for their health insurance, while they spend their money paying off their credit card bills and their newest latest greatest cellphone with picture and text messaging

Whom do they have in charge of legistlation in CT? A bunch of high school graduates?