Connecting with Faculty for References

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Suaimhneas15

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m going into an extended undergraduate senior year. I “school hopped” the first three years of college and am finally settled down at a university. However, besides taking “for fun” classes in my psych. major and criminal justice minor, I’m done with all of my requirements besides Gen Eds. I’m having trouble connecting with professors for references since I do not have a history with the school and taking professors over multiple classes.

My GPA should be over 3.5 when things are said and done. I’ll have 3 semesters in a research lab which should give me one solid reference. I have off campus volunteer experience. I’m hoping to become a Psi Chi officer this coming year so the club advisor is a possibility, but it's not for certain.

I have been told it’s too late for me to do an undergraduate thesis, so that is not a possibility.

How else can I connect with faculty?

Members don't see this ad.

I know I was only in 2 classes that the one professor who wrote a letter for me taught, but I did really well in them and I think by looking at my grades/extracurriculars, etc. he (and others) can get a good feel for you. At least good enough to write a decent letter!

This teacher in particular wanted to know about my future goals, why I wanted to go to the schools I applied to, etc. so he could write the letter more accurately.

From that information, I'd say... find a professor whose class you've done well in, maybe you've talked to a little or made any sort of connection where you wouldn't feel odd chit-chatting to in the hall. Even if you've never talked to them outside of class, most are pretty open to helping students out. So... go to them and ask for graduate school advice. That way you can feel out how receptive they are to helping you in general, get some advice at the same time, and eventually form some sort of deeper relationship where they know what/why you want to go into psych.

Hi!

I was in a similar situation when I applied for MA programs. What I did, that helped me connect with psy faculty, was to volunteer in their research labs. I also sought out advice from professors during their office hours, which was a good way to get to know them and eventually get a feel if they would be willing to write a recommendation. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
2 words: Office hours. From my experience, professors seem to just be sitting around waiting for students to talk to during office hours. I've literally just walked into their office just to chit-chat about something interesting in class, in the text, or just life in general...heck I ended up playing Guitar Hero in my Psychopathology prof's office! That's what they're there for, and they will more than welcome the conversation...if they are not busy.

I would spend time building rapport with them. Be sure to be able to at least articulate what you like about psychology or their class, what are your future goals, what you would LIKE to study, etc, in your conversations so when you ask for your letter they wont need much more from you except maybe a CV/resume.

I had not planned on going further than a BS until my senior year. I spent the last semester building rapport with them so it can be done last minute!

Potentially silly question, but I'm going for it:

Is the normal time to ask for LORs the fall of your senior year? If so, would it not be weird to ask a professor from your junior year (either semester)? I'm in serious panic mode about how the heck I'm gonna get one LOR when my time comes, let alone three!