Connections and Admissions Etiquette

Started by mwaldrup
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mwaldrup

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am working hard in undergrad right now and actively seeking research / clinical opportunities. My wife works in the medical field and has a connection to a high profile researcher who also happens to be a big part of a nearby medical school.

I am excited about the opportunity to gain experience with this person, but I'm worried about breaching some sort of etiquette I'm not aware of by contacting him. I'd be really disappointed if I shouldn't pursue working with him just because he happens to instruct (or maybe even be on admissions board, I don't know) at a school I plan on applying to.

Please advise, as I would absolutely love to work with this individual!

Also, FIRST POST! This forum is amazing. I've been reading non-stop. Thanks for the awesome resource.
 
I am working hard in undergrad right now and actively seeking research / clinical opportunities. My wife works in the medical field and has a connection to a high profile researcher who also happens to be a big part of a nearby medical school.

I am excited about the opportunity to gain experience with this person, but I'm worried about breaching some sort of etiquette I'm not aware of by contacting him. I'd be really disappointed if I shouldn't pursue working with him just because he happens to instruct (or maybe even be on admissions board, I don't know) at a school I plan on applying to.

Please advise, as I would absolutely love to work with this individual!

Also, FIRST POST! This forum is amazing. I've been reading non-stop. Thanks for the awesome resource.
First rule of SDN: protect your anonymity.
Premeds are free to contact anyone in a field they are interested in.
 
First rule of SDN: protect your anonymity.
Premeds are free to contact anyone in a field they are interested in.

Thanks for the response. It seems I should go for it, but wouldn't want to tick them off by admissions faux pas.

Anything I'm doing as far as anonymity that I shouldn't be? Are you saying there may be too much info in the post? haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the response. It seems I should go for it, but wouldn't want to tick them off by admissions faux pas.

Anything I'm doing as far as anonymity that I shouldn't be? Are you saying there may be too much info in the post? haha
no you're fine, just in the future.