ICE threatening to interfere with MD admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

polymerization

MD '30 ⚕
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From Reddit (r/premed):

Without going into too much detail, my husband was detained & deported by ICE last year.

During his detainment they looked me up and found out I was applying to grad school, and threatened to interfere if he didn’t comply.

I’ve been terrified to talk about it, but my entire working/research/volunteer experience has been with people of underserved communities.

Additionally during this app cycle I’ll be living out of the country to be with him, and if I don’t get in this round I’ll have to explain why I’m not in the U.S. next round.

Would you avoid it entirely? It feels relevant to my experience and has been a massive challenge, but I’m worried it’ll hurt my chances.

I certainly pearl-clutched reading that a federal agency would threaten an applicant, as if being married to someone in the process of obtaining legal status is somehow relevant to admissions?

Suspending disbelief that they actually would, what could possibly come of this? Much of the advice being offered to the applicant perpetuates the chilling effect of recent events more broadly.

Definitely wasn't on my 2026 bingo card.
 
Last edited:
From Reddit (r/premed):

I certainly pearl-clutched reading that a federal agency would threaten an applicant, as if being married to someone in the process of obtaining legal status is somehow relevant to admissions?

Suspending disbelief that they actually would, what could possibly come of this? Much of the advice being offered to the applicant perpetuates the chilling effect of recent events more broadly.

Definitely wasn't on my 2026 bingo card.
From my point of view, this student has experienced unexpected hardship not of their making, they've pivoted the best they could and hopefully have come out stronger. If written tactfully, it can demonstrate resiliency and help explain any temporary gaps in activities and/or residency in the US. There are many ways to talk about these things factually without it being overly political, polarizing, or a pity party. Someone having first hand experience of what's going on right now with the immigration system (factual observations) may also be of value to future classmates.

Of course, if someone high up in the current administration (not some low level officer) were to specifically target this applicant, I can see it negatively affecting some schools' decision; but let's be honest here, if the administration is going to make an example of this applicant (an unlikely event), it would happen regardless of what they did or did not write in their application.

So, I think the benefits of writing about this factually and tactfully (by focusing more on how they've adapted as a result of these stressors rather than their opinions of ICE) outweigh the potential risks. However, mentioning this on their application will make it fair game for discussion during interviews, e.g., what will they do for medical school, residency, and independent practice if their husband is not allowed back into the country ever? This applicant will need to be prepared to answer such questions. Just my thoughts.
 
Last edited: