Cons of working for XYZ Pharmacy

Started by gaba101
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gaba101

Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Tell me what you know. I'm more interested in these than pros but pros are also welcome 🙂

Here's what I know about TARGET--
  • Pharmacist pay--$53/hr (not paid for the 30-minute lunch break)
  • more elegant working environment than other retail pharmacies inside shopping stores that's pretty laid back (don't fill that many prescriptions) but not insanely busy like Longs
  • discount is useful because the prices are not jacked up (prior to discount) like at Walgreens and you can just about find anything you need (can't find a good selection of, say, bedding materials at Longs!)
 
Here's some cons from when I did my community rotation at Target.

1. You have to call the customers "guests". I think that's pretty stupid.

2. Those colored rings are a PITA. You also have to put colored stickers on things like Z-Paks and Medrol Dose-Paks.

3. The PTX computer system requires the pharmacist to perform constant overrides. If a person is refilling their HTN medication 3 days early, the tech that's typing will get a theraputic duplication error. So, you have to stop verifying fills to type in your initials.

4. The most you can put into your 401k is about $5k per year because that's the average of all employees.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think XYZ pharmacy is great. Good benefits good pay.....

[*]discount is useful because the prices are not jacked up (prior to discount) like at Walgreens and you can just about find anything you need (can't find a good selection of, say, bedding materials at Longs!)
[/LIST]

But...Longs sells sporting goods to include long guns and ammunition...

Oh yeah...do a search you will come up with more information than you will care to read. This question has been asked a million times.
 
4. The most you can put into your 401k is about $5k per year because that's the average of all employees.

Beginning at the new year, you will be able to put in the entire federal amount of 15.5K for next year. (I believe it is 15.5 next year). I just got off a Target rotation and I have the letter that was sent to my preceptor telling him about it. (he copied it for me). They have got around the IRS highly compensated employee crap that had previously held them to 5%.

Also, on a related note, Walgreens is working on the same thing and should have it available pretty soon. If one company has found a way to do it, Wags will find it also. I heard this from my DM at lunch the other day. He said that they were trying to look for new things that will keep Wags at the top of the heap, and the 401K limit was a large negative. You should be able to contribute the federal maximun at Wags in the near future. They are also getting it set up where you will have medical coverage on day one, instead of waiting 90 days.

I liked Target, but the MAJOR negative with it and most places is that they don't pay you crap for overtime. Target pays nothing, flat pay for overtime. CVS pays time plus $6. Walmart pays something like time plus $2-3 bucks. Wags pays you for being there over 40 at time and a half, like it should be. The only other place I know of that does that in retail here in AZ in Fry's (Kroger), but then you are stuck with PDX, which does suck. If and when I work overtime, $78/hr is much better than $52.

Also, at target, all day long idiots ask you where the socks are, and toothpaste, and vasoline, and everything else. I hated that. I don't work in the pharmacy to be asked all day where crap is that you can find on your own if you take 10 more steps and read the signs posted everywhere.
 
I just got a post card from Wags offering $47.50/hour starting out +$10,000 bonus. $70+ for overtime. I apparently have to move to Louisville, however.

Ah, you aren't going to join us Kentucky honkies now are you? We have our own unique way of doing things down here, and that includes naming our football stadiums after pizza.
 
Beginning at the new year, you will be able to put in the entire federal amount of 15.5K for next year. (I believe it is 15.5 next year). I just got off a Target rotation and I have the letter that was sent to my preceptor telling him about it. (he copied it for me). They have got around the IRS highly compensated employee crap that had previously held them to 5%.

Also, on a related note, Walgreens is working on the same thing and should have it available pretty soon. If one company has found a way to do it, Wags will find it also. I heard this from my DM at lunch the other day. He said that they were trying to look for new things that will keep Wags at the top of the heap, and the 401K limit was a large negative. You should be able to contribute the federal maximun at Wags in the near future. They are also getting it set up where you will have medical coverage on day one, instead of waiting 90 days.

I liked Target, but the MAJOR negative with it and most places is that they don't pay you crap for overtime. Target pays nothing, flat pay for overtime. CVS pays time plus $6. Walmart pays something like time plus $2-3 bucks. Wags pays you for being there over 40 at time and a half, like it should be. The only other place I know of that does that in retail here in AZ in Fry's (Kroger), but then you are stuck with PDX, which does suck. If and when I work overtime, $78/hr is much better than $52.

Also, at target, all day long idiots ask you where the socks are, and toothpaste, and vasoline, and everything else. I hated that. I don't work in the pharmacy to be asked all day where crap is that you can find on your own if you take 10 more steps and read the signs posted everywhere.


where do you get your info on overtime from? I ask because some of it, I know, is inaccurate. For instance, Wal-mart pays heck of a lot more than time plus $2-3.hr for overtime. As for others, I am not sure. I do know of a relief pharmacist who works for both WM & Target so I will ask him about Target overtime pay and get back to you guys.
 
Tell me what you know. I'm more interested in these than pros but pros are also welcome 🙂

Here's what I know about TARGET--
  • Pharmacist pay--$53/hr (not paid for the 30-minute lunch break)
  • more elegant working environment than other retail pharmacies inside shopping stores that's pretty laid back (don't fill that many prescriptions) but not insanely busy like Longs
  • discount is useful because the prices are not jacked up (prior to discount) like at Walgreens and you can just about find anything you need (can't find a good selection of, say, bedding materials at Longs!)

Well, first of all do your research before talking about a company.

#1 Pay varies depending on where you are at, I do not get paid 53 per hours in my area due to several factors, but go to the Carolinas and you may be making $55 etc. And you are payed for your lunch break (you are salaried so it does not matter, your 10 hours gets paid as 10 hours). The only people not paid for their lunch breaks are PRN pharmacists, but their pay is adjusted to make up for it.

#2 Many Target pharmacies are somewhat slow, some fill 20 to 80 scripts a day some fill thousands, just depends on where you are at

#3 finally the discount ROCKS you can use it on anything, including the stuff that is clearance. i.e. the end of fall when the $600 grills are on 75% off you get another 10% off that, so you can get some great deals.

Here's some cons from when I did my community rotation at Target.

1. You have to call the customers "guests". I think that's pretty stupid.

2. Those colored rings are a PITA. You also have to put colored stickers on things like Z-Paks and Medrol Dose-Paks.

3. The PTX computer system requires the pharmacist to perform constant overrides. If a person is refilling their HTN medication 3 days early, the tech that's typing will get a theraputic duplication error. So, you have to stop verifying fills to type in your initials.

1. Calling the customers "guests" is not that bad and you get very used to it, it is a whole corporate push to make the customers feel more welcome in the store and not just another warm body/paycheck. If you pay attention many of the guests like it.

2. The colored rings are not really that much of a PITA. The first time you have a mom or a dad or a child or a grandmother come in and tell you that the rings are great because they almost gave their child the wrong medicine, or they almost took the wrong medicine etc, you really appreciate the PITA of putting the ring/sticker on (all 2 seconds or less than it takes), and do not mind putting it on. Personally I think they are really cool.

3. I agree some of the warnings are a bit odd, but I would rather be safe than sorry. And verifying when the last fill was done and the patient's compliance is part of the job. Rotations and the job are two very different things, you cannot gain the appreciation for filling and verifying prescriptions on your own and having that responsibility in 5 weeks. Trust me it is very different, you will appreciate it.

I love working for Target and they are a phenomenal company to work for. Try to get a pharmacist to go work for another chain, you won't find many. I was talking to a recruiter in an airport a few weeks ago, and she found out I was a pharmacist and asked if I would like a job (semi-jokingly). When she asked where I worked, I said Target; her reply was "never mind". I love my job....

Oh ya, and you don't have to wear a shirt and tie....I love my freedom 🙂
 
Well, first of all do your research before talking about a company.

#1 Pay varies depending on where you are at, I do not get paid 53 per hours in my area due to several factors, but go to the Carolinas and you may be making $55 etc. And you are payed for your lunch break (you are salaried so it does not matter, your 10 hours gets paid as 10 hours). The only people not paid for their lunch breaks are PRN pharmacists, but their pay is adjusted to make up for it.

#2 Many Target pharmacies are somewhat slow, some fill 20 to 80 scripts a day some fill thousands, just depends on where you are at

#3 finally the discount ROCKS you can use it on anything, including the stuff that is clearance. i.e. the end of fall when the $600 grills are on 75% off you get another 10% off that, so you can get some great deals.



1. Calling the customers "guests" is not that bad and you get very used to it, it is a whole corporate push to make the customers feel more welcome in the store and not just another warm body/paycheck. If you pay attention many of the guests like it.

2. The colored rings are not really that much of a PITA. The first time you have a mom or a dad or a child or a grandmother come in and tell you that the rings are great because they almost gave their child the wrong medicine, or they almost took the wrong medicine etc, you really appreciate the PITA of putting the ring/sticker on (all 2 seconds or less than it takes), and do not mind putting it on. Personally I think they are really cool.

3. I agree some of the warnings are a bit odd, but I would rather be safe than sorry. And verifying when the last fill was done and the patient's compliance is part of the job. Rotations and the job are two very different things, you cannot gain the appreciation for filling and verifying prescriptions on your own and having that responsibility in 5 weeks. Trust me it is very different, you will appreciate it.

I love working for Target and they are a phenomenal company to work for. Try to get a pharmacist to go work for another chain, you won't find many. I was talking to a recruiter in an airport a few weeks ago, and she found out I was a pharmacist and asked if I would like a job (semi-jokingly). When she asked where I worked, I said Target; her reply was "never mind". I love my job....

Oh ya, and you don't have to wear a shirt and tie....I love my freedom 🙂


If you are so in love with Targets ring colors and override requirements for "safety," what do you think about the fact that Target has NO scanner to verify the correct drug? Sure the pharmacist should check the NDC and everything, but other pharmacies have this + a scanner.
 
where do you get your info on overtime from? I ask because some of it, I know, is inaccurate. For instance, Wal-mart pays heck of a lot more than time plus $2-3.hr for overtime. As for others, I am not sure. I do know of a relief pharmacist who works for both WM & Target so I will ask him about Target overtime pay and get back to you guys.

I get it from a former Walmart pharmacy manager who just quit and now works at Target. She just quit to go part time due to a new child on the way, and she can get benefits at Target working less per pay period. I don't know why she would not tell me the truth on such. If you know they pay a "heck of a lot more", than what is it? Anything less than time and a half is pathetic.
 
I get it from a former Walmart pharmacy manager who just quit and now works at Target. She just quit to go part time due to a new child on the way, and she can get benefits at Target working less per pay period. I don't know why she would not tell me the truth on such. If you know they pay a "heck of a lot more", than what is it? Anything less than time and a half is pathetic.


so it seems like Wags & WM are the ones that pay you properly (not less than time and a half) and the rest are just stingy when it comes to overtime.
 
so it seems like Wags & WM are the ones that pay you properly (not less than time and a half) and the rest are just stingy when it comes to overtime.

No, WM does not pay time and a half. The only ones that do here are Walgreens and Fry's (Kroger). You still never mentioned the Wal Mart overtime rate you knew of, and those that have worked there told me it was 2 bucks and change. Please clarify that.

This might not be a big thing for many people. But, since I want to pick up extra hours to knock out debt and other things, I want to make sure I maximize that. $78 bucks an hour for overtime vs $52 will add up and is a bit of a factor in employment choices for me.
 
I get it from a former Walmart pharmacy manager who just quit and now works at Target. She just quit to go part time due to a new child on the way, and she can get benefits at Target working less per pay period. I don't know why she would not tell me the truth on such. If you know they pay a "heck of a lot more", than what is it? Anything less than time and a half is pathetic.
It's quite possible that a manager would get a lesser bump if there is a flat rate for OT and she has a slightly higher base pay level than her other employees. I know WM has both pharmacy managers and pharmacy assistant managers. I have always wondered if they pay their assistant managers more, or if they just give them the title so they can put them right in place as manager if a manager vacates the position.
 
No, WM does not pay time and a half. The only ones that do here are Walgreens and Fry's (Kroger). You still never mentioned the Wal Mart overtime rate you knew of, and those that have worked there told me it was 2 bucks and change. Please clarify that.

It all depends on what part of the country you live in. As far as I know the only company that has a nation wide standard for overtime pay is CVS. They usually pay 5 to 6 dollars an hour bonus for OT.

In Kansas and Colorado Wal-Mart, Walgreens and Kroger banner stores all pay time and a half for OT. For Kroger it is time and a half over 8 hours in a day as well as 40 hours in a week.

Again, it all depends on what part of the country you are in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you are so in love with Targets ring colors and override requirements for "safety," what do you think about the fact that Target has NO scanner to verify the correct drug? Sure the pharmacist should check the NDC and everything, but other pharmacies have this + a scanner.

Seriously this is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen. As far as I can tell its one more area you can make a mistake. Not to mention you are training your customers to not read the bottle.

I can imagine a busy day, a tech calls in sick you are filling a whole familys prescriptions. The blue accidently gets put on the red that should have had yellow so now little sally is taking Dads BP meds and Mom is taking Sallys seroquelon the red thats on the yellow is grandpas......well, you get what I mean.

One more place an error can be made....not good
 
It's quite possible that a manager would get a lesser bump if there is a flat rate for OT and she has a slightly higher base pay level than her other employees. I know WM has both pharmacy managers and pharmacy assistant managers. I have always wondered if they pay their assistant managers more, or if they just give them the title so they can put them right in place as manager if a manager vacates the position.

Why would the assistant manager make more than the manager? Was that written wrong or is this a common theme with Walmart?
 
after speaking to a former Target RPh, I was told:

1) the colored rings are a time wasting joke. someone got rich over this idea, while the pharmacy has to deal with yet another area to make a mistake. I can hear the phone calls already....

2) the computer system is old and backward.

3) district managers come in and give you a hard time over the smallest, insignificant things.

the RPH I am refering to likes our company (one of the big chains) alot better, so you know her Target must have sucked big time.
 
It all depends on what part of the country you live in. As far as I know the only company that has a nation wide standard for overtime pay is CVS. They usually pay 5 to 6 dollars an hour bonus for OT.

In Kansas and Colorado Wal-Mart, Walgreens and Kroger banner stores all pay time and a half for OT. For Kroger it is time and a half over 8 hours in a day as well as 40 hours in a week.

Again, it all depends on what part of the country you are in.

I don't know about other states, but in California CVS does pay one and a half for OT...
 
after speaking to a former Target RPh, I was told:

1) the colored rings are a time wasting joke. someone got rich over this idea, while the pharmacy has to deal with yet another area to make a mistake. I can hear the phone calls already....

2) the computer system is old and backward.

3) district managers come in and give you a hard time over the smallest, insignificant things.

the RPH I am refering to likes our company (one of the big chains) alot better, so you know her Target must have sucked big time.

#1 Well, right now there are studies going on to show that the system is safer. I believe in it, I think it is great. As was pointed out earlier there is a potential for one more error, but it is part of the job just like anything else you can make a mistake on...be vigilant....every day life.

#2 YES PDX sucks a bit, but it is quick and once you learn it...easy, but they are going to make a new one with fancy scanners. I used a system like that in the past and the only thing scanners are good for is getting mistakes passed along. You still have to open the bottle and make sure the tech actually put that medication in it even though it was scanned (seriously have gotten three Rxs for different drugs and all three bottles for the patient had coumadin in it...If I went along scanning my bottles I would have killed someone, so in my opinion an unnecessary step!

#3. Depends on the district manager. Some are picky, some just want you keeping people happy, you see it in every chain.

Some like Target, some like CVS, some like Rite Aid etc, we are all built differently!
 
My question is: do you know anyone that gets any OT with Wal-Mart?

Yes. Many are open from 9-7, that itself is a 9-hour shift (1 hour = OT) w/ an hour lunch break. Anything > 8 constitutes OT. Many WMs are going to 9-9, so that itself is an 11-hour shift (3 hours = OT) w/ an hour lunch.

I know a lot of pharmacists that will tell you that the DM will not allow a pharmacist to work OT.
Yes. They frown upon it. But it's not that hard to get OT for the very reasons listed above.
 
where do you get your info on overtime from? I ask because some of it, I know, is inaccurate. For instance, Wal-mart pays heck of a lot more than time plus $2-3.hr for overtime.

GABA101 -- I asked you back on 12-26 in a post above to clarify what WalMart pays for overtime backing up your above statement. You havn't done so yet and I for one am still waiting to hear from you what they actually do pay. Have you been able to track down this info yet?
 
I liked Target, but the MAJOR negative with it and most places is that they don't pay you crap for overtime. Target pays nothing, flat pay for overtime.

Totally depends where you are. In Southern California, where unions are a major retail player, hourly employees are required to to be paid time and a half for overtime. Most of the chains there make the pharmacists sign waivers passing up the time and a half. Target is one of the only, possibly the only, chain that does not do this. They also pay floaters for travel time, and this is tacked on to their regular shift for even more overtime.

Well, first of all do your research before talking about a company.

#2 Many Target pharmacies are somewhat slow, some fill 20 to 80 scripts a day some fill thousands, just depends on where you are at

The busiest pharmacies in the Target chain are in Irvine, CA--they fill 200-300 scripts a day, not thousands.
 
Totally depends where you are. In Southern California, where unions are a major retail player, hourly employees are required to to be paid time and a half for overtime. Most of the chains there make the pharmacists sign waivers passing up the time and a half. Target is one of the only, possibly the only, chain that does not do this. They also pay floaters for travel time, and this is tacked on to their regular shift for even more overtime.



The busiest pharmacies in the Target chain are in Irvine, CA--they fill 200-300 scripts a day, not thousands.

N CA - not union, but still fall under CA labor laws. They may ask (????force???) you to sign a waiver - I don't know....I don't work for them. I work for a competitior, who asked us to sign a waiver. I didn't & no one I know did...so we get time & 1/2 > 8hr ....thats Ca law.
 
N CA - not union, but still fall under CA labor laws. They may ask (????force???) you to sign a waiver - I don't know....I don't work for them. I work for a competitior, who asked us to sign a waiver. I didn't & no one I know did...so we get time & 1/2 > 8hr ....thats Ca law.
Does your employer schedule you for shifts longer than 8 hours? If so, how often? I was under the impression that if you didn't sign, they would still hire you, but would be careful not to schedule you for more than 8 hours at a time, so you would end up making less than colleagues who signed and get longer shifts.
 
GABA101 -- I asked you back on 12-26 in a post above to clarify what WalMart pays for overtime backing up your above statement. You havn't done so yet and I for one am still waiting to hear from you what they actually do pay. Have you been able to track down this info yet?

Please reread what I wrote. In response to my "For instance, Wal-mart pays heck of a lot more than time plus $2-3.hr for overtime" you asked me on 12-25 what that was. I believe I answered your question when I wrote on 12-25, "so it seems like Wags & WM are the ones that pay you properly (not less than time and a half) and the rest are just stingy when it comes to overtime." As SDN1977 pointed out in this thread, in CA being paid less than time and a half for any hours worked > 8 hours is unacceptable unlike some other states
 
Does your employer schedule you for shifts longer than 8 hours? If so, how often? I was under the impression that if you didn't sign, they would still hire you, but would be careful not to schedule you for more than 8 hours at a time, so you would end up making less than colleagues who signed and get longer shifts.

Yes...if I work a weekday, I'm scheduled for 9A-8P with 1/2 hr lunch in which I get to choose if I want to close the pharmacy or leave my tech (it depends on who my tech is that day!).

So...no - they figure time & 1/2 into the budget for 1 pharmacist/day.

The only ones I know who ONLY work 8hrs are hospital pharmacists (with the exception of OR pharmacists who have signed the waiver - work 4x10hr days - no OT).