Consider potential specialty in choosing a PhD lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hello311

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there - I'm a first year student at an MD/PhD program setting up my research rotations for the summer and next year. I was wondering if it's important to consider a potential future specialty when choosing a PhD advisor. I know any notions about what specialty I will go into are likely to change, but just wondering if what I'm thinking now should guide my PI search.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend that you do. It's not critical. You will be a much stronger candidate for competitive residencies if your PhD work ties into what they are doing in their programs. When they don't know what to do with your PhD or the ties are tangential, it makes you a weaker candidate in that regard. It will also be easier to get yourself established someday as an investigator since you can hopefully continue your work or similar work rather than having to essentially start over.

Don't read too much into that advice though. This is a small piece of your overall residency application some day and this advice does not apply to all programs.

Reactions: 2 users