Considering a second gap year? Seeking advice? thank you

Started by kittymeg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kittymeg

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!
I am currently trying to figure things out. I graduated last year over the summer with a bachelors in biology. I am a first generation graduate from high school and college as well. I was not ready to apply the 2018 cycle because my gpa needed to be worked on. I spent the past year (Fall and Spring semester) working on a DIY postbac (Total of 25 credits and ended with a 3.92 postbacc gpa). This postbac has pulled my undergrad gpa to a 3.12 and sgpa to a 2.9. signed up for MCAT for the end of June but am afraid that I may not be ready.

I am aware of how poor my gpa is. I am very realistic with myself. I went through certain health conditions that ultimately lead to an emergency tumor extraction from my brain. I did not know that this was happening at the time I simply felt headaches and tired all the time along with other things. Unfortunately, during this period of time, I was taking Ochem and retook 3 times back to back. With the last retake ending in a C.
I was going to apply this cycle and started filling out the application but after truly going over all my stats and getting ready for the MCAT I feel as if I am rushing into things and I want to try and do this right and once if possible. I was in a completely different headspace while taking my postbacc classes and my motivation to pursue medical school regained strength.

I am kindly asking for advice and any opinions that you might have. Should I retake organic II one last time this upcoming semester and take another gap year to work on MCAT and grades? Ultimately applying in the 2020 cycle?
I also volunteer at a free clinic for the low income and uninsured since 2015
Sunday school teacher at local church since 2010 and provide free tutoring services for the kids since there is a language barrier between the parents and assignments

I truly want to work with the disadvantaged population Since I grew up in those same circumstances and understand the difficulty of living without healthcare.
Thank you for reading my post! I truly appreciate it.
 
Last edited:
Interesting story.
I feel like the answer is so often "if you don't mind going DO, you're good". Just do ok on your MCAT and keep loving on those underserved people and I bet you'll be an excellent osteopath.
But honestly, you have a lot going for you since you're first gen highschool/college grad, you serve undeserved and you have a solid tumor story you could get MD with a strong MCAT. Realistically, I would shoot for MD if I were you. Especially if you're black/Latino and female. Just factor in your state of residency. Don't retake crap unless you're going to get screened out in the initial application. Moving to North Dakota or Texas for a couple years might get you MD for sure. New York and California might work against you.
GLHF 👍
 
Interesting story.
I feel like the answer is so often "if you don't mind going DO, you're good". Just do ok on your MCAT and keep loving on those underserved people and I bet you'll be an excellent osteopath.
But honestly, you have a lot going for you since you're first gen highschool/college grad, you serve undeserved and you have a solid tumor story you could get MD with a strong MCAT. Realistically, I would shoot for MD if I were you. Especially if you're black/Latino and female. Just factor in your state of residency. Don't retake crap unless you're going to get screened out in the initial application. Moving to North Dakota or Texas for a couple years might get you MD for sure. New York and California might work against you.
GLHF 👍

Thank you for your advice! means a lot. I have another question that I would like to ask regarding applications. would it be ok if I PM you? If not it is completely fine with me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!
I am currently trying to figure things out. I graduated last year over the summer with a bachelors in biology. I am a first generation graduate from high school and college as well. I was not ready to apply the 2018 cycle because my gpa needed to be worked on. I spent the past year (Fall and Spring semester) working on a DIY postbac (Total of 25 credits and ended with a 3.92 postbacc gpa). This postbac has pulled my undergrad gpa to a 3.12 and sgpa to a 2.9. signed up for MCAT for the end of June but am afraid that I may not be ready.

I am aware of how poor my gpa is. I am very realistic with myself. I went through certain health conditions that ultimately lead to an emergency tumor extraction from my brain. I did not know that this was happening at the time I simply felt headaches and tired all the time along with other things. Unfortunately, during this period of time, I was taking Ochem and retook 3 times back to back. With the last retake ending in a C.
I was going to apply this cycle and started filling out the application but after truly going over all my stats and getting ready for the MCAT I feel as if I am rushing into things and I want to try and do this right and once if possible. I was in a completely different headspace while taking my postbacc classes and my motivation to pursue medical school regained strength.

I am kindly asking for advice and any opinions that you might have. Should I retake organic II one last time this upcoming semester and take another gap year to work on MCAT and grades? Ultimately applying in the 2020 cycle?
I also volunteer at a free clinic for the low income and uninsured since 2015
Sunday school teacher at local church since 2010 and provide free tutoring services for the kids since there is a language barrier between the parents and assignments

I truly want to work with the disadvantaged population Since I grew up in those same circumstances and understand the difficulty of living without healthcare.
Thank you for reading my post! I truly appreciate it.
I'd say wait another year. I'm guessing that with another ~30 credits at 3.9+, you'd be looking at a 3.25/3.1 GPA split-- which is a significant improvement on the DO side. Once you're there and feel a bit more secure about your credentials, go for the MCAT (ideally dedicate 6 weeks and then take it in june). Don't keep retaking classes you've already passed-- replacement is no longer a thing and adcoms aren't impressed even if you get an A. Take more upper-divisions classes; my UG let me take graduate classes and count them towards ugpa-- the focus on literature helped a ton for MCAT, so would definitely recommend if possible. Keep the EC's (esp. clinical).
 
I 100% agree that you'd benefit from an additional year of great pb grades, volunteering and tutoring. Don't take the MCAT until you're scoring ~510 on the AAMC practice exams. Best of luck!